1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

odd occurrence

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fmvs, Apr 5, 2008.

1. fmvs

fmvs New Member

The other day I pulled off the road to make a few phone calls. I put the car in park but left it running. After a few moments I noticed that not only had the ICE not shut down as usual, it was running at ~1250 RPM (Scanguage). I punched the pedal a couple of times like I would to kick my diesel off high idle to no effect. By the time I finished my calls several minutes later the water temp had reached 202F. I put it in gear and drove off and everything has worked normal since then. No change in FE. Any ideas? Jeff

(Climate was off, battery charge was high blue)

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    High blue when you parked it, or only when you drove away?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Climate was totally off? That usually makes the car quite stuffy since it won't even allow the VENT to work so there's essentially not passive air flow. You're positive the defrost wasn't on?
    How long had you been driving before pulling off and going into park?

Assuming everything you said in the OP is accurate I would agree that it is quite odd that it ran that whole time. What were the prevailing weather conditions?

4. fmvs

fmvs New Member

Outside temp was 52F. I had just started up after a short stop. I shut off the "climate" when I parked--I've noticed that my water temp heats up quicker when off (water temp was ~150F when I put it in park to make the calls). I turn it back on as soon as water temp gets above 175F.

I checked the battery charge when I first noticed the high idle. It should have been good when I stopped as I had driven in an area of rolling hills/curves that requires lots of braking and usually keeps the battery pretty "full".

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The key item is that you just started up. I'm guessing it was going through the startup dance, but if the engine was already warm, that shouldn't have lasted very long.

Tom