1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd power issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Savannah Dan, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an odd issue with my 2004 Prius with 190K+ miles. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes when I push the Power switch (brake pedal depressed) not everything powers up. IIRC, this is what I see when I get the problem:

No display on instrument cluster
    Current MPG info not available on Energy Monitor screen
    Cruise control will not engage
    Reverse warn horn does not sound
    Pushing the Power switch puts car in IG-ON mode instead of turning the car off. Holding Power switch in for about 5 seconds will put car in ACC mode. I have to disconnect the battery to get car to power down.

I took a look at the schematics and saw that the Power switch provides grounds to the Power Source Control ECU, so I tried a new Power switch in case one of the switches in it was bad. It was also a cheap and easy to swap out. I drove the car a few times with no issues, and then it started again. I’m thinking it may be the PSC ECU, or contacts in a relay.

Has anyone had this same problem?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just sound like a failed combination meter. Some would call it instrument cluster.

You can replace it with another (this will change your odometer reading). Remove it and send it to somebody for repair. Or repair it yourself or by somebody how can do electronic repairs: combination meter repair - DIY | Page 5 | PriusChat that topic also has information for removing and installing the combination meter.

dolj likes this.