1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd Prius question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Jun 8, 2006.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My friends and I talk about my Prius quite often, kinda due to the fact that it is such a freaky car... but we have been wondering, what would happen if a Prius went into a body of water? Would it sizzle? Would it send a shockwave around the globe and cause an ice age? :lol: or is it so smart it would grow fins and swim to safety?

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would probably sink to the bottom more often than not, depending of course on how deep said body of water happens to be. Unless you've modified it to float or be used as an amphibious vehicle.

:)

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Indeed, this is an odd question. There were quite a few flooded Prii as a result of hurricaines, etc. last year. Don't know know if the "surplus" water did anything other than ruin electronic components. Probably wouldn't sizzle due to failsafes. Pretty sure it hasn't caused an ice age. I believe the "fin" option is part of package #10.

4. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, a hybrid amphibious vehicle, now there's an idea... Maybe we can creat a hybrid cruise ship? That would a be luxury liner I would love to ride!

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Jun 8 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]268049[/snapback]</div>
    Someone should modify a Prius so it can do this:

[​IMG]

Now THAT would really be something! B)

6. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well if you have the shark fin antenna you could scare all the beach goers out of the water...briefly.

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't expect anything impressive to happen.

Except for the oceans and a few salt lakes, virtually everything is fresh water. This has poor conductivity. The battery would see a resistance across it to discharge it, rather than a dead short. The discharge wouldn't be spectacular. This assumes that the battery terminals haven't been waterproofed by Toyota.

If the car sank in salt water, then the discharge would be somewhat quicker, but still not as bad as a dead short.

Either way, the water would cool the battery so well that it wouldn't overheat and burn.

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I found that adding the shark fin antenna makes the car much more stable in heavy California rain. It should help underwater too. I don't know about the beach scare-factor, but it sure scares the SUVs on the freeway. They cringe at the sight of my fin, and just slink away...at about 10 mpg.

9. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys are great!

Rancid-
    The reason that Chevy is floating is the heavy useage of plastic and fiberglass LOL

If I saw a Prius on the lake, I would be impressed! I am already obssessed and think it does enough odd things.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Jun 8 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]268049[/snapback]</div>
    Many ships and some newer boats are hybrid in that they use diesel-electric propulsion, much like that used on train engines. The diesel engine spins a generator that in turn powers the drive motors. This allows for optimal torque matching and flexible placement of the engine. On some ships and tugs the motors are contained in pods that hang down from the bottom of the vessel, allowing each propeller to be independently aimed for thrust control.

Tom

11. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Jun 8 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]267986[/snapback]</div>
    If it's anything like this Toyota Hilux you would haul it out and drive it away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0UVI99R8Q

12. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What a great video! Hate to see what the new Tacoma would be like haha

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cool video! GM, eat your liver!

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well not to detract from the fun discussion of possibilities, but if the vehicle is submerged the car basically shuts everything down. it actually does set a code. :)

15. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Would that be known as an "aquatic event" code?

:)

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 8 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]268154[/snapback]</div>
    those are serial-hybrids right?

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 8 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]268433[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Serial.

But in the case of ships, there are also dual-fuel propulsion systems: Sails for wind power and a motor for calm days, or when the wind is in the wrong direction. Sailboats nowadays are often dual-power. Unfortunately, the application of Murphey's law to sailing means that the wind is nearly always blowing in the wrong direction.