1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by crazidude1400, Oct 5, 2008.

1. crazidude1400

crazidude1400 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know that each time I start the car up it needs to warm up to be used at its full capabilities. (p/g, etc...)

So, lets say I am going into a store for less than a minute do not push the power button to turn it off, but take the key with me?

Does the hybrid system shut off, meaning the car needs to be warmed up again? Do the doors lock?

Thanks!

2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I know that each time I start the car up it needs to warm up to be used at its full capabilities.

I think that's just the exaust system.

So, lets say I am going into a store for less than a minute do not push the power button to turn it off, but take the key with me?

Anyone who can get in can drive it around. The car will not restart without the key, but it will drive as far as you like.

Does the hybrid system shut off,

If you mean the electric bits, turning them on and off is practically nothing. It can sit in the ready state for hours or days while you are out walking around, no problem.

Do the doors lock?

Mine does not lock automatically. I have to tell it to do so. Mine is fussy about locking when you have the key outside, don't know if you can trick it somehow.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    okay i figured this out

1) pretty much you would have to lock the car with the mechanical key to leave it running.

2) for a minute or so, this is probably moot because
    if you turn the car off, it will take about 1-5 minutes to heat up the catalytic converter to operating temperature...
    if you leave the car on, it might keep the engine running randomly for 1-5 minutes to heat the cabin/charge the traction battery before it decides to turn it off...

if the car was left for more then 30 minutes or something, then i think it would make sense to leave it off, but then again it would keep firing its engine up to charge

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The answer is: every time you start the car from OFF it WILL cycle through the warm-up operations. Every time.

If you want to avoid this, leave the car on, turn your MFD off, turn the headlights off, turn the dashboard down until it's off, and lock the car with the mechanical key.

This tidbit of knowledge as well as how to leave it on incognito was provided by Hobbit some time back. He knows his stuff and therefore I'm confident in repeating it.

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tony,

Like you I greatly respect Hobbit, and give maximum credence to what he
    says. Now, I have to be very careful here...

I have experimented with leaving the car running -- with a passenger in the
    car -- and turning the car off for short periods of time. The results are
    mixed, and I have to confess that my methods/observations aren't iron clad.

Somtimes, after I leave the car running, even though the MFD and
    ScanGauge readings say I'm still in S4, the car will do yellow arrow glides,
    but absolutely refuses to go into no-arrows glide.

Sometimes, after I turn the car off for a very short period of time, and the
    MFD and ScanGauge augeries say I'm in S4, I can immediately get yellow
    and no arrows glide.

I still need to do more rigorous observations. I'm eager to find a way to say
    that these apparent irregularities do no put me in conflict with the sainted
    Hobbit. My rationalization is that for other reasons I believe that the
    CPUs/ECUs have undergone subtle adjustments/changes between Hobbit's
    car, a 2005?, and my 2008. Then again, maybe I'm just wrong!

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have found leaving the car powered up while not driving depletes the traction battery meaning I have low power when I start to drive and the ICE works hard to recharge the battery. Sitting in the car, parked with it on I noticed the ICE only runs to maintain the 2 purple bars on the battery. I'd shut the car down if out of it.

7. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In answer to your original question, I have done this, especially in a situation when I can maintain visual contact with the car. Pat is right, in that there is some drain on the traction battery, but this is strictly proportional to the load on it. If you turn off the A/C, lights, etc, this is minimal and is directly related to the length of time the car sits in Ready mode.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In my experience leaving the car & climate control on with the doors physically locked has no ill effect on the traction battery for 5-10 minutes. Outside temp & SOC influence the length of time. If you are stopping with a low SOC there is no benefit as the ICE will run anyway to charge the battery.