1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd sounds 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kilibit, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Kilibit

Kilibit New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The vehicle is on, in park and this is a recording (amplified volume) of the clicking sound from electric motor. This sound continues for a couple minutes while off.

Inside the vehicle, there are some sounds on the passenger side as well as this noise (although muffled) from the driver side even while driving.

Any suggestions?

mp3 file attached

Attached Files:

2. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The clicking is in my opinion due to the brake actuator. It should correspond to brake pedal use, easy to test. When its rapidly cycling, as in this clip, you could try bleeding the brakes in case there is air in the system. How many miles on the car?

3. Kilibit

Kilibit New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    130k (most recent service @127k)

The other day, it sounded like a grinding (maybe a little louder than the clicking) noise all the way back to the back (12v/hybrid). There was also a single loud beep, but I don't know if that was due to doors being open or something else. No special indicators.

Over the past couple months VSC has come on 2-3 times but only for a short moment.

How do you bleed brakes?

I also noted when I put the vehicle in park, and let the gas engine cut on, the vehicle tries to move forward a bit even on an incline. I don't remember this happening before, but it has happened recently at least a couple times.

I drove it around the block this evening and everything seems operational.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, brake actuator. If it eventually stops cycling like that, then I might guess air. But if it keeps on repeating ad infinitum, then there is some leakage happening that causes the system to try and maintain pressure. How is the brake fluid reservoir level? It could be a leaking solenoid valve, or actual loss from the system.

richard schumacher likes this.
  5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How is the 12V battery?

6. Kilibit

Kilibit New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Battery replaced Feb 2012

When I open the car door with the smart key, this sound starts as well as another. I am used to sounds after power on and power off, but not these.

If I take it to the dealership, what should I expect assuming this is the brake actuator?

7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    From what Ive read from other PC members, lets just put it this way :eek:

Somebody was able to find a used brake actuator and install that, IIRC it was $250. IIRC, the dealer wanted $2000+ to do it with their new part.
    EDIT: I just searched Ebay and there are plenty of used ones on there for relatively cheap.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The brake actuator does come on at times when the driver's door is opened. Also, you might be hearing the CHRS (thermos) pump coming on.

Suggestion: Fill in your location, maybe there is an independent shop near you. As PriusGuy32 pointed out, the part is available used, but the install is a long process.

If there are no DTC's set, this might not be anything of concern yet. On mine the cycling of the actuator just happens one time, not repeatedly. Without a DTC being set, it is hard to know what is going on.

9. Kilibit

Kilibit New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I went to the dealership today and spoke with a hybrid certified tech. On the way (40 minute trip all below 50mph), the clicking sound persisted and disappeared sometimes when I hit the brake lightly. Unfortunately, I turned the car off and turned it back on and everything seemed to be normal even on the drive back (clicking only happened near the beginning and only a couple of times). They sent me home telling me without any error codes, it wouldn't be worth looking at especially if they could not reproduce the issue.

Could it be related to temperature change or does it seem that this/a component is beginning to fail?

Memphis, TN

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not likely related to temperature, IMHO, but who knows? I guess you are left to watch and note any more symptoms. Intermittent problems are the bane of all trouble shooters. Brake actuators have been the subject of a number of threads here, so it is not unknown for them to fail.

The symptom of creeping forward when Park is engaged is odd. That would say that the parking pawl is not getting set, or it is broken. I would think it is a side issue. It usually is a sign of bad 12V, but in your case you battery should be good. If possible you should double check to make sure that the 12V system is up to voltage. Strange things happen otherwise.