1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd steering column sound

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by drmax, Jun 22, 2021.

1. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I've read numerous threads and possibilities but doesn't appear there is a definitive answer. 2015 gen 3, 105K miles. Slight steering wheel movement either way gives off a sound of muffled popcorn in the microwave. I'm pretty sure the sound continues for a split second even without steering wheel movement. Like there are muffled pebbles in a box rolling around in the dash when I turn the wheel a bit, but obviously there is not. Nothing felt in steering wheel. No slack in anything. All is tight. Not the intermediate shaft. Outside temps about 80 F. I can live with it, but do not want to be stranded. Won't be taking it in to a dealer to have them tell me they can't hear it (which I've read a lot about)
    So what is it? Are my sounds like many others, but my pebbles are a different density? Anything to truly be concerned about or just turn the radio up louder? Thx, DM

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can get someone to help you, that would be good.
    You can raise the front wheels off the ground and either you or your helper can listen at
    the wheels, you might pull them off, maybe it's a ball joint, or the strut. Strut's can make a lot of
    weird noises...

3. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would I do that if I am 100% sure the sound is emanating from inside the car? Already had someone spin the wheel while I looked/listened from outside up front.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    loud and proud (y)

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Clockspring?

100k is about enough to wear one out. Even if the electrical contacts are all still working (horn, steering wheel switches, cruise, airbag) there could be a frayed bit of insulation dragging and catching on its surroundings to create the sounds you are hearing.

Good luck!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never heard it, or read about it. might be worth having the steering motor checked.

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No where in your original post did you state: I am 100% sure the sound is emanating from inside the car.

I'm sorry I tried to help you. It won't happen again....

Grit likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The "clockspring" or spiral cable is a loosely wound light flat cable behind the steering wheel that allows the wheel to have buttons even though it turns.

When my Gen 1 was a dozen years old or so, maybe some kind of dry lube that was originally on the cable had lost its slick, and I would notice a faint sound like shuffling cards if I had turned a corner and then returned the wheel to center. The flat cable would kind of wind up, and then unwind in little bursts: shfshfshfshfshf.

I took the cable apart then, spooled it out and looked it over carefully; there wasn't any place where the insulation was wearing through yet, so I gave it a light spray of Elmer's Slide-All (which evaporates to some kind of dry lube) and wound it back up and put it back. Mind that this is a non-Toyota-sanctioned repair....

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's a new one on me, thanks.

I've seen various commercial 'snots' come in handy when pulling a mile of cable through stadium conduits but that spray on/dry lube combo sounds great for small assemblies!

10. drmax

drmax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chapman, that is most likely the sound and issue. I’ll have a closer look in a few days. Thank you all! DM