1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odd "Thermos" Behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ekpolk, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    OK, I've just finished getting used to all the fun little Prius quirks, such as the post-shut-down hum that is the coolant pump transferring the 3L of hot coolant into the insulated storage tank (a/k/a thermos). No problem with that; actually, it's sorta fun to explain to wide-eyed, envy-feeling friends, as I'm sure y'all understand.

Then it stopped.

That's right, a couple days ago, my car seems to have stopped transferring the hot coolant to the thermos. That pump is totally silent after shut down -- nothing at all, not even a gurgle. The coolant level is fine, both hot and cold, and I have no warning lights (so I assume it's throwing no codes, but I haven't had it plugged yet either), and no other noticeable symptoms (prolonged warm-up, etc) at all. Just no apparent filling of the thermos.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I'm not really worried, since otherwise the car is behaving fine, but still, I want to know what's up with this. TIA for any clues, suggestions, or solutions.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you drive more than just across the parking lot or something, you should hear the pump run. if not, take it in to the dealer and they can force it to run with the scantool to check and make sure it works.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't always run after you shut down. It'll only pump if the coolant in the engine is warmer (and above a set threshold) than the temperature of the coolant in the thermos.

4. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 14 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]319736[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, it has cooled off substantially here in the last few days -- maybe that's keeping the engine just cool enough to prevent the transfer. Thanks for the info.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Sep 14 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]319790[/snapback]</div>
    Cool being a relative term in Florida. There are a few posts about problems, with this and maybe a TSB? I am not sure but do a search on the board and talk to your service folks.

6. Leo

Leo Leo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 14 2006, 05:26 PM) [snapback]319736[/snapback]</div>
    Are you saying there is always coolant in the thermos, even when the engine is full of coolant?

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leo @ Sep 14 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]319856[/snapback]</div>
    Yes

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leo @ Sep 14 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]319856[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, it cycles through if needed, otherwise, it's blocked off.