1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Odds and Ends (Dealer vs. non-dealer maintenance, Repair vs. Trade in, Hybrid battery replacement)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nos402, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Nos402

Nos402 Junior Member

I've had a growing collection of thoughts I thought I'd put before the community. I've searched and read what I could find but also wanted any fresh responses here.

First the old, Dealer vs. Non-dealer maintenance. I have a 2005 Prius with almost 170K on it. I have taken it in every 5000 miles and had whichever level service package the dealer recommended because I really wanted to take care of my car. Now I'm really starting to wonder if I couldn't save a lot of money elsewhere but would my care still get all the maintenance it needs? I'm sure anyone could do just an oil change but I don't want to neglect any further needs. Does anyone use non-dealer shops for maintenance and if so how do you deal with it? Do you have like a list of the various things that need to be done at various mileages, etc?

This is all at least partially spurred by a sudden $4K of repairs needed (Hybrid battery replacement and AC Evaporator). I elected to go with a non dealer on this as the dealer wanted $3200 for a new battery with a 12 month warranty and $1800 to replace the evaporator. This other place which has a great reputation wants $3000 for a battery with all new modern cells in a refurbed casing (my wording, not theirs) and a 48 month warranty (they had 2 lesser batteries but I opted for the best one) and $1000 to replace the evaporator.

Which leads to topic #2, trade in vs. repair. I'm not in a position to take on a new car payment right now and since I have maintained this vehicle so immaculately, I figured paying $4K to keep it going was better than scrapping it and trying to find another car that would hopefully be as good or better, especially for $4K. But what if more stuff comes up? Do I keep pouring in or do I cut my losses at some point?

Sorry for the brain dump and thanks for any help.

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting thoughts. Once you've spent $4K you are in for more pain when the struts and tires need to be replaced. I have and 05 with only 89,000 miles. I take the car to the dealer for discount oil changes and their free inspection. I have upped the mileage to 7500. Don't think I would do the $4k. What wrong with the $1000 batteries?

#2 kenoarto, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  3. Nos402

Nos402 Junior Member

Well since I want to keep this car as long as possible, I figured the best battery was the best option. I'd rather be optimistic and hope it will last at least another 4 years than be needing another new battery in 6 months or a year.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no reason you shouldn't get 2-300,000 out of her. just keep doing what you're doing.

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't agree with your estimate of the $1000 battery lasting less than a year. $4000 buys how many $1000 batteries?

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The $1000 was for the evaporator.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

The time to set the limit is before replacement parts are needed. Everyone has their own threshold. Given the opportunity, any car can become a money pit. It's always the same story. Just change the parts and the amounts. "I really like the car so I'll replace x part for $n and keep driving it. Since I just put $n into it, I have to replace y for $nn so I can get my money's worth. Since I just replaced x and y I got to replace z." Before you know it, you're restoring a car that has minimal value.

At 10 years, 170000 miles what's a running car worth? About $6000. How much do you want to invest in a $6000 car? I spent an awful lot of money keeping two Oldsmobiles on the road for 17 years each. In retrospect, too much. On the third one I drew the line and cut my losses. That car ended up needing even more work and didn't last 17 years.

I also agree with bisco. There should be a lot of life left in your car. Given your circumstances you probably made the best decision.

Although Toyota has a crap warranty on replacement batteries I'm more inclined to believe their new battery will last longer than someone's refurb. How long has that company been in business? How likely are they going to stand behind their 4 year warranty? What will it cost to use the warranty?

Since you asked, there's a sticky thread here "what services you need and don't need" by galaxee. IMO, you spent too much having someone look over your car for 10 years. Look in the owner's manual for Toyota's recommendations. Look here for the recommendations from the technical guys. The Prius is a low maintenance vehicle so paying for the Gold Service or Platinum Service or whatever-precious-metal Service the dealer offers is a waste. Some of that stuff they offer to perform can't even be done on your car. Did they really perform some of those inspections or did the guy just put a check in the box?

If money's really an issue, you can change the air filters instead of paying $25 to have it done. You can replace the 12v battery instead of paying to have it done. Find a good local shop for things you can't do saving the trips to the dealer for the big things the indie shop can't handle.

I went to the dealer for the "free" oil changes and the tranny drain & fill. I bought the tires from them because they were a good price. My last oil change was done at a local garage. I intend to do the next one.

7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I find the recommended services at the dealership to be mighty expensive. The oil changes are the only thing that's a good deal there, but I still prefer to do oil changes myself. I don't have the patience to take it somewhere and wait for someone else to do it. The maintenance schedule indicates the recommended service items and nearly all of them are easy (and much less expensive) to perform at home. I'm no mechanic, but I'm very comfortable with oil and filter changes, tire rotations, etc now, and got through the engine coolant pump and 12v battery replacements with the help of Youtube vids.

I'm of the impression that, especially with Toyotas, you're better off financially, keeping what you have. There are exceptions, of course, but I'm also betting that even with a refurb battery, you'd be set for a good number of additional years.

kenoarto likes this.
  9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Evaporator work, go to a dealer b/c of the ND-11 oil. A normal shop won't have a dedicated hybrid AC evacuation machine and dedicated Prius gauges. This is important b/c lots of horror stories of people taking their Prius for an AC recharge to a cheaper place only to get burned. The refill or any work performed introduced incompatible refrigerant oil that the Prius doesn't like.

I call BS on this, and bet that it is a refurbished/remanufactured/used/anything but 100% NEW.
    1) Toyota does not sell individual battery modules. (FYI, the HV battery is composed of 28 modules, 7.6V each, wired in series, for the 212Volt HV Battery.). So where did these "new" modern modules come from?
    2) Assuming you bought the car new, the original HV Battery gave you 10years/170K miles. A NEW Genuine Toyota HV Battery will be a little over $2K. You will probably get the same amount of use from a new replacement battery, more or less. Why would you spend a few hundred more for a 4 year warranty on a rebuilt battery?
    3) It's time to DIY, assuming you have the physical ability and working space to do so. Tools can be acquired along with experience. The battery install you could do yourself. Just exercise great caution and care.​

When I changed both front struts, rear shocks, and all related components, I paid a little over $300 in parts. It took me longer than I would have liked, but there was a small learning curve since I never did this on a Prius before; one Saturday for front, another Saturday for rears. Satisfied with my work and huge cost savings. One dealer wanted $800 just in labor. Another wanted $1050 in labor.