1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oem battery lost 5 pounds of electrolite

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by epoch_time, Feb 9, 2014.

1. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This was my prius's second battery. Purchased from the local toyota dealer in nov 2010.
    This battery (3 years old) has had as easy life no major discharges. 30 milliamp (.03 amp) discharges through the nights and 13.8 volt charge while running vechicle.

The battery showed 12.7 volts after setting over night. Pushing the power button without foot on brake in accessory mode
    where the radio (radio was actually was off) and mfd display backlight comes on pulled the battery voltage to 12.0 volts
    a seccond depression of the power button activates ign on mode where voltage dropped to 11.8 volts (dash board lites all lit) .

Then with foot on brake pushed power button third time to ready mode, voltage dropped briefly to 11.3 volts then to 13.88
    volts charging..

Very disappointed with battery only lasting 3 years I decided to pull battery and add water..Well this factory oem prius battery made in japan has the clear plastic strip that allows accesss the valve regulated filler caps was now super glued in place!! unlike the orignal battery which I still have.

Anyway the orignal battery and the second one that I have been running for 3 years are identical except the orignal which
    I've been trying to bench maintain weighs 30 pounds and the newer one that now has very little capacity weighs 25 pounds.

I conclude that either there is less lead in the second identical battery or else the second battery has burned off 5 pounds of electrolite?

I have a cigarette lighter voltmeter that stays on all the time and I know for absolute certain that this battery has had an easy life as easy as it gets..

Searchiing for jis (japan pencil terminals) batteries I find lots of chineese types apparently shipped dry with 104 ounces of electrolite shipped seperately..Now I can only approximate how many electrolite ounces would make for a 5 pound difference in battery weights (identical batterys).

But I'm leaning toward 5 pound loss of electrolite as to cheaper s46b24r battery being manufactured with less lead..?

This loss of approximately 80% electrolite seems to follow my estimated amphour capacity remaining.

I've put on about 30k miles on this battery all city driving. while my scanguage continually shows average mph around 22.
    22 miles divided in 30000 = 1364 total hours charging at 13.8 volts = 5 pounds electrolite (burn off) loss?

Someone that drives mostly highway speeds 65? mph over the course of 30000 miles would experience 468 hours of electrolite boil off.. thus maybe my equilivant battery life should be multiplied by 3 (for a new total 9 years).

My orignal battery experienced about 3 total discharges as It had a .5 amp continous discharge because of brake ecu not going to sleep after prius power down..I would plug in battery tender mon-fri to protect battery but on weekends was away from battery tender. weekends considerably drained orignal battery. after correcting ecu .5 amp drain problem (22 months later)...orignal battery had overnight voltage of 12.3

I replaced battery with dealer battery (oem). Tested orignal weak battery on harber freight carbon pile load tester. It showed still pretty good at 150 amps with a voltage drop to 10.5 volts.
    So I opened up orignal battery could not see any electrolite. Added distilled water about 1.5 oz per cell charged and stored... and rechared at 6 month intervalls..maybe didn't charge once cause battery showed 12.3 volts,
    and I could never get old battery higher than 12.3 after setting overnight.

Just for additional Information the new dealer oem agm battery had electrolite sloushing while picking it up and installing. As did all the new agm battery I've installed in ups systems.. I believe agm batteries have extra electrolite in the beginning..as its mission is to boil it all away leaving batteries worthless.

My orignal battery really boils at 13.8 volts (no bad cells) and my electrolite level is about 1/8 inch above plates.
    Battery would last longer at 13.2 where my prius charges before warmup of transaxle ( provided no accessorys are on).

I am interested in your prius oem battery weights both old and new.

All in all I thing the oem battery is a good battery. Hope I can find another for 150 dollars.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The battery does not have 5 lbs of electrolyte to start with. That would represent 4 pints (.5 gallon imperial). The Prius battery is supposed to be an AGM battery. This means no free electrolyte (liquid) the only liquid being absorbed by the glass mats that are 95% saturated. Topping up the battery with distilled water would effectively weaken the acid.
    However many people including myself have reported free liquid in the OEM battery making the claim that the battery will not spill acid if the case is broken in an accident somewhat invalid.
    The most likely reason for the weight difference is the amount of lead used in the construction of the battery. The amount of lead in different forms in contact with the acid directly affects the capacity of the battery.

John (Britprius)

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    5 lbs loss of electrolyte corresponds to 2.3 liters of water volume. That would be about what I would expect the battery to hold, if it was of flooded cell type. One does have to work a bit to refill these batteries, but it can be done. I have rehydrated gel cell types as well, to get additional life. But once the plates get dried out, it is often not possible to get back to a usable state. A desulfating, pulsing type charger is needed to reclaim the battery. A standard charger just heats things up and boils more water away, as you noted.

The Prius could do with a three state charger, which would taper off to a float voltage of 13V after the bulk and absorption phases. That is how it is done in places where batteries are meant to last.

The idea is that these batteries are spill proof for safety reasons. But being lead acid, they lose water just like the standard flooded cells.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not if it is a true AGM it won't.....unless it is SEVERLY overcharged......or very poorly designed.

The H and O produced recombine to produce water again.....and they are completely sealed, up to a certain point, so there is nowhere for a "loss" to occur.

A well designed AGM battery should last 7 years or so if not in severe service.
    I suggest that you forgo the OEM and go for another name-brand real AGM battery this time.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    aye.(y) i wonder if the vegas heat has any effect?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    28 lb per my digital bathroom scale, a GS Yuasa battery with July 2009 production date. This battery is currently uninstalled and fully-charged, and I believe it to be AGM since there are no fluid sloshing sounds when I shake it.

It appears that some shipped GS Yuasa batteries are actually flooded lead acid, even though their external appearance is the same as the GS Yuasa AGM batteries. Not sure why Toyota accepts this practice from their supplier since the Toyota technical literature is very clear that only AGM batteries are acceptable.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In theory it should make little or no difference. A VRLA-AGM battery (Prius battery) is effectively sealed.
    Each cell has a pressure valve on the top that only releases if excess pressure is built up. This can occur if charging rates are to high. When on charge at a safe rate the battery gasses hydrogen and oxygen, but these gasses are turned back to water by a catalyst in the top of each cell.
    Pressure does not build up, the valve does not open, so there is no water loss. Even if the battery is heated there is so little air space in the battery for expansion to build enough pressure to open the pressure relief valves, and if they do release any pressure as the battery cools a vacuum is set up inside the battery as the valves work one way only. Making any further release less likely, and also stopping external oxygen entering the battery accelerating sulphation of the plates. The valves themselves are self sealing and although it would be possible to get a valve failure it would be most unlikely for all 6 to fail.
    An AGM battery should have no free liquid inside the cells. As the abbreviation in AGM suggests A stands for absorbed G for glass M for mat. The mat is only 95% saturated in electrolyte.

John (Britprius)

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is interesting news since we usually advise not to replace oem with flooded lead acid.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes the strange thing is these OEM batteries with free liquid acid have AGM labels on them. I still have the original battery that was fitted on the car, (no longer used on the Prius) and this has enough free liquid to be able to use a bulb type hydrometer on it.

John (Britprius)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if toyota engineer's have done enough testing and are comfortable with this? perhaps poor agm results/cost have forced them to reconsider.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The battery concerned was from a 2008 original battery.

John (Britprius)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there any possibility that toyota had one foisted on them and never recognized it?

13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Real AGM batteries were not too common 5-6 years ago.
    It might be a transition technology.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The gen2 Prius has been around since 2004 and has always been specified with an AGM battery. However true AGM batteries have been around for a long time used in alarm equipment, UPS , as well as mobility equipment. The battery I use in my Prius is a mobility battery rated at 62 AH against the OEM batteries 35 AH or 45 AH. It is only 10 mm deeper from back to front all other measurements being the same fitting in the OEM battery tray.

John (Britprius)

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since model year 2001, all Prius were supposed to be equipped with 12V AGM batteries. I removed the top of the original battery from my 2001 several years ago and saw the fuzzy white mats separating the lead plates. No free liquid within.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was not sure about the gen1 as the battery was in the boot "sorry trunk", and was not sure if in that position it required an AGM.

John (Britprius)