1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM EV Switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by oldensign, Jun 14, 2013.

1. oldensign

oldensign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is probably NOT new, but I can't find info searching for "EV switch".

Where can I buy OEM Toyota EV switches (one each for 2005 and 2006 Prius). The warranties on the two Prii are up, so I am now free! I want the EV switch because it's STUPID to have the engine start and run for 10 seconds when I'm moving the car from the driveway into the garage.

Other than very short-term electric-only propulsion, I'm happy with the way the Prius works as sold in the USA. I guess Toyota believes Americans are just stoopid to be trusted with the EV switch available throughout the rest of the known Universe.

I don't want to put in a Coastal kit or my own switch. Nor do I wish to fly to Japan to buy 'em.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, too attention deficit to read the manual. There's a decent sized list of when the car won't go into EV. Toyota didn't want to burden dealers with complaints of it not working from those who don't read the list. IMO

PS still have my Coastal Tech hack here somewhere from my 2005

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On the UK Prius the EV switch comes as standard and if operated when the car is not ready to go into EV mode a warning comes on the MFD telling you the car cannot go in EV mode at the moment.

John (Britprius)

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here.
    and possibly other places.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sigma does sell the OEM switch. I just got mine for a 2006-2009. Sadly, it came with no instructions other than pointing to a web site that is no longer active:
    http://web.mac.com/gagix/iWeb/PriusMods/EVButton.html (referred to in earlier threads as "Gautam's page")

And the response from Sigm is "sorry about the dead link, search PriusChat or PriusOnline". Sort of drops a few stars from my rating of Sigma. At the very least they could have copied the instructions (with permission of course).

Did anyone happen to save a copy of the instructions for the 2006-2009 OEM EV button installation guide?

(the instruction URL for the 2004-2005 is good).

So I have, until I can find instructions, a useless OEM switch.

Thanks,
    Bruce

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    So I guess you can reach

http://www.calcars.org/prius-evbutton-install.pdf

but haven't realized that the instruction is the same for all gen 2 Prius cars including 2009?

Also see my posts here

EV button HV ECU connector orientation? | PriusChat

if you want to use the correct pins. Good luck!

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That's different from what I was told and my own experience: I followed the instruction for 2004 (pdf linked above) and successfully installed an EV switch on my 2009. Now I think of it I wasn't using the fancy OEM switch. Does it light up when engaged so it may need more wires connected?