1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM HID conversion creates problems on high beam

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sushi1026, Oct 2, 2008.

1. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did a OEM HID conversion back in 2007 and has been putting this problem off for a while, but now that I've moved to a rural area where back-roads are mainly dark, I need to get this fixed...

The Halogen version headlight consist of a relay that shuts the low beam off when the high beam is on, so the bulb won't explode from extreme heat. But the HID is different as the High beam means they'll move the reflector to get the light shine higher.

So my problem is, I got the HID in working fine, but every time I turn on the high beam, the headlight will shut off. So I'll need to replace the relay (or at least that's my guess), do any of you with factory HID tells me what the part number the headlight relay is, or do any of you who knows what I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not sure what you mean by shut off the low beam. It's a dual filament bulb so in my mind, it turns on the 2nd filament. Are you saying the 1st filament doesn't stay lit?

3. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tideland,

I think what sushi is saying is with traditional headlights, you either burn one filament or the other, but not both. In my wifes old Datsun/Nissan as she moved her headlight stalk switch from low beam to high beam, the high beam would come on slightly before the low beam turned off (so no momentary complete loss of light in the change process). We live in the country so she liked the extra light she got when she discovered she could get the stalk to stay in the position that allowed both beams to be on at the same time. I wondered why I was replacing her sealed beams so often until I found out about this little quirk of hers using the headlight stalk mid-position & asked her to stop. Those were the old standard sealed beams so I imagine the halogen ones would burn out a lot faster from the higher heat involved.

So with sushi's HID conversion (without the proper HID relay), when he turns his switch from low beam to high beam there is no 2nd filament (actually no filaments at all) for his old halogen relay to send juice to and the low beams have just been shut off. He needs the HID relay that will keep a constant power supply to the HID capsules (regardless of the switch position) while the shutter flips up for the high beam position.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

4. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Ct. Ken V for helping me to clarify this. Yes that's exactly what I need to do, and since I did the OEM conversion (got the HID bulb, ballest and light housing) I can (or should be able to) install the OEM HID relay to my Prius so the low beam (The HID in this case) will stay on while the reflector change position.

Thanks!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation Ken!

6. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So can anyone with HID headlight help me get the relay part #?

7. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Headlamp relay on my 2004 with HID:
    90987-02025
    156700-2540
    12V
    Denso

It's about 1 inch cubed and gray in color.

8. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    alternatively, you can buy a diode and splice it in to your headlight harness, so that power is fed from the high beam wire to the low beam . that'll allow power to be sent to the high beam solenoid, as well as to the low beam (which fires the HID bulb).

a diode such as 1N4006 or similar (found at radio shack for less than a dollar) would be fine. just make sure you put it in the correct direction (nothing will be harmed by insalling it backwards, it just won't let current flow through as it's designed to allow current flow in one direction.

may i ask, by the way, how much your conversion cost? (is it worth it to pay for a package with oem HID, or is it cheaper to go w without then do the swap)

9. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nope.

The 1N4006 is only a 1 Amp diode. Each HID ballast pulls about 3-4 Amps, so you need at least a 10 Amp diode. Being the conservative engineer that I am, I'd suggest at least a 20 Amp diode.

The 1N4006 would go "pffffffft" in this application.

10. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks so much for your help!

The conversion cost about $600 from ebay. I'd say it's worth to pay for the package when you get the car because it's usually cheaper that way, but when I got mine Toyota weren't making package 4 that month and I couldn't wait for one. Besides, as you can tell I still have to install the correct relay and I still don't have the auto-leveling motor and sensor yet. So the cost will definitely be higher.

11. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a good point, if I go with the radio-shack option I'll get the 20Amp diode. Thanks!

12. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ah true, sorry i'd answered so quickly, i only used these diodes for a LED conversion, and had forgotten about amperage.

Another alternative is a wiring harness with an automotive relay.
    you may want to sign up on HiDPlanet.com :: Index and do some research on wiring harnesses, etc. Could be another way to go

13. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just an update (btw, thank you for all of your inputs so far). I grabbed another relay with the part number provided by maseace, turns out its the same exact relay as my halogen model so the light control is not on the relay side (or so it seems with my lack of electrical knowledge). So I am going to try the diode route as it seems rather economical to try. Will keep you guys posted so maybe in the future if anyone wants to do the conversion this thread will be a good reference point.

14. sushi1026

sushi1026 107mpg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One more update since the last post here. It's till not working. The Diode (10A) I put in doesn't work. The high beam still shuts off the light. I read somewhere here the rely is negative triggered? If so if I reroute the ground wire to the chassis it should work right? Another thing, for those Prius friends with OEM HID out there, can you help me grab the rely number off of the "DIM" relay? I've asked for the headlight relay but that's not it.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!