1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM HID headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hngu7721, Jan 18, 2006.

1. hngu7721

hngu7721 Junior Member

I plan on replacing the stock halogen headlight cluster with the HID cluster, my old car had HID and I just can't get used to the low output and beam color of the halogen bulbs.

Does anyone know if the connectors are the same for both HID and standard headlights? I know the HID has auto leveling, but is it as simple as an extra pin in the plug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ShavenYak

ShavenYak New Member

Bump. I thought the premium for pkg 6 over pkg 5 was too high, but I would have liked HID's.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The HID option was the only reason I went with package 6!

But sorry... I don't have the answer for the OP's question!

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I know the difference between the lights used in the HID package and the halogens is very large. There are many changes besides just the light capsules. I have not heard of any retrofit that gave satisfactory results.

5. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't like being forced into the upper package just to get the HID (must buy pkg. 7 in our region). I don't have a cell phone and haven't gotten lost driving on 3 continents. But we wanted HID lighting for my wife who has trouble seeing at night and it is more energy efficient. So we went for pkg. 7.

The consensus seems to be that if conversion is done, it will be expensive and moderately challenging. There are more components involved than just a bulb change. Search this forum for lights. Here's a starter:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=12750&hl=lights
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=6070&st=0

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same connectors, nothing extra needed. There's no auto leveling, so you will have to aim your headlights slightly lower... and yes there is some minor glare.

I had the same thought myself a few months back. I wanted HID's, but it was either a package 3 or package 6 (+$4000 at the time).

Now i have a 5000k Dual-beam McCulloch HID setup; very happy.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where did you get them and what was the cost?

Did you do the installation or have it done?

8. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Mar 12 2006, 10:33 PM) [snapback]223940[/snapback]</div>
    Installed today a retrofit HID kit on my '05 Prius.It is a bixenon type kit 5000K. I'am very satisfied with light strenght and color. Cool stuff...
    The cost is 420$.
    I did it myself in 1h30min.

9. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    In my area, package 6 is not available, and since I have "Mapopolis" a great Pocket PC nav package, I did not want to go with package 7 just for the hids. So, I should be taking delivery on a package 5 in about two weeks.

I looked into a retro fit of HIDs and gathered some general information on it, so I am wondering how it will apply to a retrofit of HIDs in a Prius.

From what I have been able to find out, it appears that if the reflector is not made for HIDs, then the beams won't focus properly, could emit serious glare that might blind other drivers, and, as such, they would not be DOT approved, therefore, not legal in our area and might be more trouble than they are worth.

However, it occurred to me that if one could get the OEM reflector assembly that Toyota makes for the HIDs the Prius, this would be, essentially, an OEM solution and should be considered DOT approved and, therefore, legal.

So, where might I get the OEM HID reflectors? I think the obvious answer for this is from a Toyota dealer.

Are the OEM HID reflectors the same as the OEM halogen reflectors? From the information that I found, I seriously doubt that they are. As such, this would make a HID retrofit potentially problematic, in that it might not pass inspection, could be ticketed, could potentially be blamed for blinding someone causing an accident, ie., in general, not worth the trouble for the limited night-time driving I do.

TIA

10. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ May 13 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]254900[/snapback]</div>
    The housings are not the same. HIDs do high/low with a single bulb, they have a shell over the bulb that moves to expose more of the bulb for highbeam. You will need the HID headlight shell, which is about $315 new (a bit less from Conicelli Toyota online), the HID ballast, HID bulb, etc. It MAY, and I mean MAY be possible to add the leveler to the rear axle, but since both of my Prius have HID (it was a key purchase on both), I haven't investigated whether the main wiring is there and just needs the sensor and its' harness.

Doing a full conversion with all new factory parts would probably run $2K at least. You might be better off trying to find a Prius parts seller on Ebay that sells a lot, so is obviously parting out cars, and see if they have the leveler sensor and associated wiring. Getting them to properly strip out the harness, of course, is the difficult part, if it is a separate wire that must be added to your harness.

11. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wiyosaya @ May 14 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]254900[/snapback]</div>
    Talonts is right. OEM HID reflectors are different and you have a wiring problem.Also the price for complete mod is very high.
    I attached some pics so you can see the beam difference from halogen (pic 024P) to HID (pic 003P). The beam is similar, only with some little glare on HID beam (pic 005P in red circle),but fortunatly, it is not blinding other drivers. It is rarely noticable, but I must admit that is present...
    All the other parameters are on HID side: strong beam strenght, pleasant light color, energy saving, attractive appeal (pics 017P,037P)...
    For money that I paid I am very satisfied with this bixenon retrofit mod.
    PS: I doubt that inspection here in Croatia would notice any difference. I don't know in America...
    The diiference from halogen to hid beam is so small (focus,light distribution..) that saying it can cause an accident is an exaggeration.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you need a new headlamp assembly, computer, and bulbs, plus leveling motor, leveling sensor. you may need a new wiring harness- engine room wiring harness and maybe body harness. he doesn't know offhand if the wiring schematics match up. he can look next time he's working on a prius with hid's.

plan on at least $2500, double it if you have to replace wiring harnesses.

13. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thanks for all the replies on this. I think I'll just stick with halogens for now. The complete mod to be "legal" in the US just is not worth it to me for the amount of night driving I do.

14. mike_m

mike_m New Member

This may sound like a dumb, elementary question..... Can you put those cool "flourescent" (sp) headlights in a Prius? I always thought those look so neat going down the road at night.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    fluorescent headlights??

16. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 19 2006, 08:15 PM) [snapback]258346[/snapback]</div>

Maybe that's not the name, but I see cars on the road that there light coming out of the headlights looks "blue" at night? I do not know...

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    those are HIDs

18. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 19 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]258360[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Galaxee. I went with package 5 over 6. Oh well, I guess I won't have cool headlights. I had no idea when I ordered my car. I think they also call then "Angel Eyes", or is that something all together different? Do these HID's look the same at night as the BMW?

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Angel Eyes are totally different. They're basically illuminated rings around the projector headlight.

Depends. I believe BMW HIDs are lower in temp hence a yellow tint whereas MB tends to go with higher temps hence the bluer tint.

20. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 14 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]255174[/snapback]</div>
    I retrofitted an 06 Lexus IS250 with a xenondepot.com 4300k kit for $400 and had no problems at all. I didn't use any auto-leveling stuff and had 1 person flash me in 6 mos. Of course the car had projectors.

I highly recommend this method over the above mentioned $2500 method. Altho I would think replacing the entire headlite assy would be plug and play....don't know this for a fact but it was like that on a 2001 Mercedes C320 where I swapped the headlite assy and presto...beautiful HID's.