1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM HIDs to aftermarket HIDs Gen 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by OGGIE50, Feb 9, 2015.

1. OGGIE50

OGGIE50 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Touring Package 6. Originally came with HID's or Xenox lights. I've updated the bulbs to 5K from the stock 4300k, Basically.. Yellow to Bright White. Light output was the same. I've also install HIDs in the factory fogs basically for looks to match the lights. I really dislike the factory yellows. So it was a cheap investment.

When the lights are on, the driver lights tend to flicker and then turn off, flick the lights off/on and it fires right up. I researched into the lights and fuses and then called the dealer and asked about the ballasts. They said, we sell alot for the Gen2 Prius. They wanted over $125.00 just for 1 ballast.

I've seen 'justdidit' and a couple of other guys install projectors. I have a couple of other projects i'm working on so the projectors for the Prius has to wait. But i need to do something with my current setup.

A quick stop at DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting and picked up a complete set up for what i need.

55w Slim HID Kit
    5k D2S Bulbs
    D2S adaptors for bulbs
    spade connectors to factory wiring

This job used basic tools and was DONE in less than 2 hours.

Pulled off the headlights
    [​IMG]

Backside of Light housing
    [​IMG]

Drill cover big enough to fit bulbwires
    [​IMG]

Factory connectors vs. (red) DDM connectors
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fit the connectors thru the hole:
    [​IMG]

Velcro DDM Ballast to factory OEM ballast
    [​IMG]

Fill remaining hole with Silicone to prevent moisture coming in.
    [​IMG]

NO factory connectors were cut, I used a piggy back connector, Get a test light and figure out the (+)
    [​IMG]

Passenger Side with 5k HID bulbs and OEM Ballasts
    [​IMG]

Driver Side with 5K bulbs and 55w DDM kit, DDM said, when you run more power from the ballast it makes the 5K whiter.
    [​IMG]

Quick adjustment to get the lights aligned was pretty easy. The light is intensified ALOT, So much that it washes out the HID factory fogs, when it was reverse before i started.

This was a quick and painless installation. NO Connectors were cut and if i wanted to i can switch back to OEM stuff very easily. Most people would say no to do HID's without projectors, i agree!!! but luckily the light isn't as scattered compared to alot of other vehicles i've done HIDs on. I just needed a quick fix since it was a PAIN to keep flicking the OFF/ON to get the lights to work. More so, if my Wife or Daughter drives this car. I WILL eventually get on the HID/Projector bandwagon with another set of aftermarket lights so there is no down time.

Also, Did i mention?? I spent less than $60 bucks on this DDMtuning kit? Money well spent!!

Justdidit likes this.
  2. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you really want to improve light performance you should install projectors. The oem headlight design is terrible reflector bowls are poor to begin with and have a really have a hard time directing light where you need it WITHOUT blinding oncoming traffic, especially with HIDs. The oem Denso ballasts are nice units with good output and a very short warm-up time and although the oem bulbs are of a good quality, like all HID bulbs they will dim over time.

I have had a positive experience with DDM ballasts: their old gen, there current slim (what you have), and their new Ultra ballasts. Their bulbs however are underwhelming performers and have significant flaws compared to Morimoto and oem options.

I can't stress enough the importance of projectors if both for their benefit to you and oncoming traffic.

Evan

3. OGGIE50

OGGIE50 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, i know... Projectors are NEXT, i just had enough time to work on this setup for the time being. I plan on getting another set of lights so i can take my time to color match and select a nice set of projectors. My other Project just got sponsored by Rigid Industries LED lights to put a nice bolt-in grill with a 20" E2-Series light bar so i'm fabbing up a set of projectors on the truck first.

If it weren't for the OEM Denso Ballasts that keep flickering off i wouldn't of done this mod. Also, the 55w DDM Ballasts that i'm using now work FINE. They are aimed down but nice enough to see long distance and never gotten flashed by an oncoming car. the housings in our Prius isn't as bad as some other cars i see on the road, i.e. Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, etc. So no worries here. I'm also, 5k and not ricer 6k blue. Lol

4. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice to hear your end goals involve projectors. Rigids are a nice product but stupid expensive, getting a sponsorship makes them a lot more appealing. I was able to snag a couple pairs of Duallys (not D2) for $100/pr and a 6" SR bar for $150. If mounting and clearance work out the SR will be located near my rear axle as a reverse light. No plans for the Duallys but their performance is underwhelming IMO, I hear the D2s are a huge improvement.

For some reason I lust over Q and Q2 series, those things look the business stuffed into some fog locations. I can only imagine the output on their light bars are "ample." Make sure you don't drive with that thing on around other cars, you will melt their faces off.

What kind of truck by the way? Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but here are some output shots of a Dually Spot vs Dually Flood vs S2000 projector. ....neighbors love me.

Evan

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. OGGIE50

OGGIE50 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Nissan Titan and run the TT page a part of my business....
    Total Automotive Performance - Your Source for Auto Parts and Accessories - Homepage
    or totalautomotiveperformance.net

Here's a link to the install of my Rigid Duallies:
    Rigid Dually's in your Factory Fog Light housings - Nissan Titan Forum

I've tried to install these Duallies in the Prius but the pocket that holds the stock Fogs is shallow.

The Light output, Color and Clarity of these lights are awesome! Rigid also came out with a Dually DOT light so it's like a projector and focus' the light perfectly. My Duallies are perfect and again have NO issues for oncoming drivers. Dually D2's / HD's are awesome but would never be acceptable on the street. Lol

Rigid's are crazy expensive but well worth the $$$ if used properly. If a truck is a Mall Crawler then i understand buy cheap lights but you get what you pay for.

Here's the Grill Rigid Sponsored me with, I get it on Monday/Tuesday of next week.
    [​IMG]

6. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    #6 Sezy, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015