1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM iPod Integration kit.. anybody have info?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 08RedPrius, Nov 3, 2007.

1. 08RedPrius

08RedPrius New Member

Hi All,

Just got a new 08 Prius and in my research I see they recently announced an OEM iPod integration kit for about $300. I know the DICE is cheaper, but what is the difference in function? Are there any that have the Cover art feed to the Nav screen?

How difficult would it be to install the kit myself? One rumor had it including a new steering wheel. I do have regular ICE automotive experience. Any help would be appreciated, the Stealership is clueless.

Rick

2. ssaylor

ssaylor Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick_P @ Nov 3 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]534325[/snapback]</div>
    I just saw that announcement too and am going to check with my stealer on Monday. It would be nice to control the iPod from the steering wheel. The thing I DON'T like about ANY of these units is that you have to create and maintain PLAYLISTS for your iPod, which is not the way I listen to music. Just an old school vinyl guy I guess.

I installed a DICE unit in my 2004 Boxster with the MOST bus and man, was it a pain. I'm a fiber optic expert now, splicing into the fiber ring and all. It doesn't do text because I don't have NAV in the Porsche so I find it more convenient to use in the iPod mode. Fortunately, the Toyota install - using any of the iPod integration units - is greatly simplified because it it truly plug and play with an included wiring harness. Really, anyone with minimal skills can do it.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota's OEM kit is for Europe only.