1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM, rebuilt or aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusyipee, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the prevailing opinions on replacing brake components? I have used aftermarket in the past but find that the quality of the metals are quite poor and are subject to extreme rust here in the northeast. The aftermarket front rotors (lifetime guarantee) that I replaced on my '05 are slightly warped after 3 years. I still have the original rotors that I have machined and can replace on the Prius.

Prior to the onset of winter I have to replace nearly all of the brake components on my '03 Highlander (calipers, rotors, pads, etc) after 10 years and 55,000 miles. Are the OEM Toyota products less prone to distortion (warping)/heavy rust than aftermarket products? Which aftermarket manufacturers have a proven record for reliability? I just can't justify spending over 288.00 per caliper x 4 as well as replacing the rotors and pads as well. $1600.00 for a complete brake overhaul using discounted OEM parts and performing the work myself is a bit extreme.

My '08 Prius has never had a brake job and this information will definitely help me with all of my upcoming maintenance!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I personally would buy the correct Toyota parts. In the past I wasted time buying aftermarket parts and usually have regretted that choice.

Are you sure that the calipers (which are made of cast aluminum) really need to be replaced?

Looking at the Champion Toyota Gulf Freeway (Houston, TX) parts website, it appears that the following 2003 Highlander parts pricing is offered:

Front rotors: $81.56 each
    Rear rotors: $86.87 each
    Front pads: $65.70
    Rear pads: $47.24

Looks like ~$450 for parts plus shipping if you can avoid replacing the calipers.

Priusyipee likes this.