1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM tire life

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Allen, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi: My 2004 Prius is approaching 28k. Anyone have an idea of what sort of mileage/longevity I can expect from the OEM tires under normal driving conditions? I still have reasonable tread and the tires look ok.
    When I do get new tires, any suggestions for tires that will reduce interior noise at freeway speeds?
    Bob

2. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Nov 28 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]354927[/snapback]</div>
    I just installed 4 Michelin 195/15/60 MXV4 Plus tires. So far they seem quieter, and I think the gas mileage will be better than the Integrity's. I have about 1000 miles on them and the fuel mileage seems to be about 3 - 4 MPG better than the integritys with lower ambient temps. I took a trip with the integritys last summer when I had about 2k miles on the car. Ambient temps were in the mid 80's - 2 people in the car - averaged 48.5 for 900 miles. This past weekend - ambient temps - 50 - 60 degrees - 4 people in the car we averaged 51.5 MPG. Average speeds were a little lower, but only about 3 - 4 MPH. the only negative side seems to be speedometer accuracy. It was about .3 - .4 MPH with the Integritys. The Michelins are about 1.2 - 1.4 MPH off at the same speed (60 MPH). [ checked against a Garmin IQUE-3600 GPS]

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think if everything is OK such as alignment etc. you can expect pretty "normal" wear from the Integritys. I would expect at least 40K, I replaced mine at 15K and they had at least 3/4 of their original tread left.

Replacement tires. There are a bunch of topics dealing with that subject, just use the search function. I think there are a lot of good replacements by Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Pirelli, and others.

Here is a good link for tires: http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

I am using Toyo Proxes TPTs size 205/60-15 with H speed rating. They are very good all season tires. Just be careful if you change sizes to select something with about the same circumference (revolutions per mile) as the stock tires. The Integritys BTW are 855 revs per mile.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Nov 28 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]354927[/snapback]</div>
    Well I asked that 32,000kms and now I'm at 38,000kms with snow and ice on the road. I'm still behind you but check my poll here where I asked PCers when they changed their stock tyres.

I'm looking at Nokian WRs for my next set.

My dad has a set of MXV4 Plus and they're fairly quiet, comfortable and grippy in dry conditions. They're so-so for snow and not so great on ice. They're also LRRs.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Nov 28 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]354970[/snapback]</div>
    Phew, that's super low profile hahaha.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 28 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]354998[/snapback]</div>
    Actually not. The tires are, but the Prius sits pretty high on 60" wheels. :)

Sorry, Syclone. Tell us to go pack sand if you want. We deserve it.

6. gocruik

gocruik New Member

Just replaced the OEM tires that had 44,000 miles. Still good, but rainy season was coming up.
    Went to www.tirerack.com. Great site, lots of info.
    Found Kumho (?) tires of the same size. Cost before shipping, $33.00. With shipping, install, etc, about $55.00
    Incredible tires. Quiet, great cornering. Mileage? about the same. I'm not a freak about this.

Took them to America's Discount Tires for install. $18.00 each. Guy said thatthey would match Tirerack's price, and that the Kumho lasted about as long an Michelin. Tire rating is lower, but at the price adequate.

Was so impressed that I bought another set for my '89 CRX. And remain very pleased with both sets.

Good luck
    Gordon in Menlo Park

7. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ Nov 28 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]354927[/snapback]</div>
    The Continental ContiProContact and the Goodyear ComforTred tires are two extremely quiet tires you might consider. The ContiProContact is H rated and offers better fuel efficiency, traction, handling, and price. The ComforTred lasts longer.
    TireRack test of Grand Touring All-Season Tires
    TireRack test of Passenger All-Season Tires

To decide when you should replace your tires, you need to measure your remaining tread depth.
    Tread Depth vs. Wet Braking
    When Should I Replace My Tires?
    Measuring Tire Tread Depths
    Keep in mind that while deeper tread improves wet and snow traction, shallow tread improves fuel economy, dry traction and handling. Keeping your tires longer also minimizes landfill, but not as much as reducing the number of vehicles totaled in accidents ;) .

To estimate how long you have till you need to replace your tires, measure the tread depth and then to a little math to estimate how many miles you have remaining.
    expected remaining miles = cm * (ctd - etd) / (std - ctd),
    where cm = the miles you've driven the tires so far,
    ctd = current tread depth of your tires (the minimum of all current measurements)
    etd = ending tread depth (2/32 is the legal minimum. You may choose higher for wet or snow traction. Some go lower in dry weather to optimize fuel efficiency.)
    std = starting tread depth (10/32 for the Integrity and many other tires.)
    I know that not everyone likes math, but the surveys show that Prius owners vary drastically in how long they keep their tires. How long yours will last depends on your treadwear (depending on your driving habits and roads) and your preferences for tread depth.