1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEM v. non-OEM replacement for stolen catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by LMC, Mar 9, 2022.

1. LMC

LMC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2007 Prius with relatively love mileage (under 73K). My catalytic converter was stolen 10 days ago from the parking lot in front of my apartment. I know I'm in good company, but it's a real bummer. I'm still having big time sticker shock at the cost of a new OEM cat, which is what my mechanic is recommending (almost $2300 for the part alone).

I want my car to run at peak performance, as much as possible for its age - including low emissions and good mileage. I want my car to retain its value (even though I am not planning to resell it), and I don't want to have to replace the catalytic converter again if I can help it. But I'm also hesitating at the cost of this part, and I'm a little worried about it being stolen again, given what I'm reading in this forum.

I see that there are a lot of threads with feedback on different non-OEM catalytic converters.

But can anyone with more mechanical-technical knowledge tell me whether there are advantages to shelling out for an OEM part? And if I do that, should I pay for one of these theft prevention shields, too?

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have no expertise, but from what i have read, if your state allows it, a couple hundred dollar cat will work fine.
    at that price plus installation it may or may not be worth a cat shield. plus, only a dumb thief would go to the trouble of stealing it.
    but there are some dumb thieves

3. LMC

LMC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm definitely thinking about a shield, especially if I decide to go with an OEM part (which I'm really not sure about.)

Do you think an anti-theft alarm on the catalytic converter or an anti-tilt alarm would work to deter theft? I need to search the forums to see what people say about anti-tilt alarms.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea. best to google your questions, then pick out priuschat and other worthwhile threads