1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OEMS Worry About Cheap Gas

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 28, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: AD #1487 – Former Ford PR Chief Alleges Spying, OEMs Worry about Cheap Gas, Audi to F1? – Autoline Daily
    We've long known hybrid sales are impacted by gas prices but this is a curious twist. It kinda' goes along with the idea that fuel efficient cars may become a 'door prize' in California and some of the CARB states. So I posted this reply:

The ‘hybrid premium’ may invert and become the ‘hybrid discount.’ The car manufacturers can simple soften the price of hybrids and EVs to meet CAFE.

Ford has already prototyped ‘equity’ pricing with the MKZ and recently you’ all reported: “. . . One fascinating insight into the challenge of selling hybrids is represented by the Lincoln MKZ. Buyers can choose a four cylinder engine, a V-6, or they can choose a hybrid version for absolutely no extra cost. And yet 70% of MKZ buyers do not choose the hybrid, despite the fact it gets 14 more miles per gallon than the four, and 18 miles per gallon more than the V-6. ” (Oct 16, 2014).

Perhaps future, full-size pickups will be sold with a ‘free” EV in the bed . . . the door prize and CAFE compliance vehicle. Too bad it would only be available in the CARB states.

Given CARB credits for fuel cell vehicles, Toyota might offer them for a significant loss in California to maximize the credits for selling Tundras. Hummm, perhaps a Toyota lottery for a $10k FCV . . . <grins>

Bob Wilson

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is running some pretty fat incentives on Prius Plug-in, $1,500 cash back plus 0% APR for 60 mo here. ....

meanwhile cars.com lists 113 PiPs available within 50 mi of 94587 which is quite a few. Last months sales of 300 something PiPs was .. bad.

We'll see if the talk about cheap gas holds up after the mid-term elections next week.

3. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But Lincoln revised their mpg estimates for their hybrid version of the MKZ downward by quite a bit:
    Find your Goodwill Payment amount
    YearModelOwn/LeasePrevious
    EPA-estimated MPG
    city/hwy/combinedRevised
    EPA-estimated MPG
    city/hwy/combined Goodwill Payment
    2013/2014Lincoln MKZ HybridLease45/45/4538/37/38$625.00
    2013/2014Lincoln MKZ HybridOwn45/45/4538/37/38$1050.00
    I found for 2.0 L 4-cylinder a 22 city and 33 highway result, which makes the highway mpg difference almost negligible. As that is the mileage figure touted in most advertisements, the consumers may have been simply rejecting the increase in complexity and perceived maintenance, etc. of the hybrid as being justified by the 4 mpg difference in highway mpg. Interviews with MKZ purchasers would be interesting.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As far as the use of oil is concerned, this is NOT a long trending downward trough in the price of oil.

In 1999, I remember buying gasoline at 87 cents a gallon. Even when adjusted for inflation, that will NEVER likely happen again, unless there is a worldwide depression.

The hybrid is still the "KING of the HILL," when it comes to urban driving and driving in heavy stop and go traffic. The EPA does NOT test for that. If it was measured, the hybrid still beats them ALL.

Hybrid platforms are developmental trails into new technology and a long term real world test for the same.

The development of "drive by wire" started with hybrids, which included electrical air conditioning compressors, electrical power steering and electronically controlled braking and transmissions and shifters, as well as start stop technology.

Eventually ALL cars will adopt some form of these developments as "belt driven" "full time" mechanical pumps will be needed to eliminate wasted power sapped from the engine. These requirements become even more necessary due to increasing CAFE economy standards.

These developments will become necessary for implementation for new safety applications and the reality of the self driving car of the future.

It would not be wrong to predict that ALL cars will be some form of "mild" hybrid with a small high voltage battery. Economies of scale will make them truly affordable compared to the hybrid premium of today's models.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just depends on the length of the current geopolitical environment. i'm not worried about the automakers, but i am concerned about the politicians.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am hopeful that as EVs and PHEVs become cooler, faster etc.. there will be more buy in from the consumer market because the price of gasoline will no longer be a primary reason for the purchase of "hybrid" vehicles.

People don't purchase the Tesla Model S just because they can save money on fuel. They buy them because they are sexy, fast, desirable, comfortable and seat many. It is simply more desirable than the equivalent vehicle from Audi, Mercedes or BMW.

Zythryn and austingreen like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even the i8?

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In most cases yes because the i8 has more limitations. It is desirable, however. But since it is a PHEV I wasn't including it in my competitor list. I also know you are just teasing me. ;)

bisco likes this.
  9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The i8 is NOT a main line sale item. It is a niche market that BMW is using to test the long term viability of new technology.

Main line BMW's are benefiting from the technology developed in the i8.

BMW even advertises it that way.

If you look to history, Alexander Winton, who founded the Winton Motor Carriage Company in Cleveland, Ohio, was one of the earliest and greatest. They ceased making cars in the 1920's due to their "conservative" "old school" technology, which lost market share to Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Ford, and others.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...Don't forget "CAFE MPG" is really Congress's silly MPG whereas Prius scores around 80 MPG on that basis. But still its hard to see how we make 52 MPG with everyone buying F150's. But F150's are aluminum now, so I like the direction we are headed, even if we don't make the targets.

Hybrids have a tough road (need some price breaks) in some states car taxes are 15-20% (in VA the incremental car tax approaches 30%) so if you pay more for a hybrid you can pay a lot more state/local taxes too. It would be great if that hybrid cost-delta was somehow absorbed by the autos or the Feds (on paper at least) so we are not taken to the cleaners for extra state/local taxes for the crime of buying a fuel efficient vehicle..

Robert Holt likes this.
  11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Bob, I hope you realize, that a quote from someone quoting 'a senior Toyota executive [] in private', is NOT going to be acceptable as proof of Toyota's thinking for john.
    ;)
    Still - perhaps the Ford & Toyota teams should throw more lobby money for even higher hydrogen car credits. Just think .... if they can go from making a hydrogen car FIVE times more credit-worthy to say - TWENTY times more CARB credit worthy - the manufacturers will only have to sell 40 or 50 cars - and yet they'd get the CARB value of 1,000 'real' smog/energy efficient cars. Because after all - isn't that what it's all about? Manufacturers getting lots of money - just to create an expensive / impractical vehicle?
    :confused:

austingreen and Dogwood2 like this.
  12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe Toyota will reduce the cost of their hybrids now? They did seem to shoot up alarmingly in the last 5 years whereas the competition didn't by as much.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's because there is no competition.:)

Ashlem, austingreen and F8L like this.
  14. Cadenza

Cadenza Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Locally it's about $3.25/g. Cheap is when it's $0.99.

Okinawa likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perception can override reality and seeing gas prices decrease can lead to a false perception of lower future prices. Like sitting at the front of a fast moving vehicle that comes to a stop, there can be a false perception of going in reverse. Add to that wishful thinking and bad decisions can be made. In one respect petro-head reporters are going to push that illusion even as they are passing on casual conversations from unnamed sources.

There are already efforts to export the earliest fracked oil which is exceptionally high quality, light, sweet. Simply 'filtering' out the initial product is being called 'processed' and sold without going through full fractional distillation. The heavier carbohydrates will come, later. There are rumors of efforts to end the export prohibition so I'm confident there is a floor that will be reached soon enough. One wild-card is fracking is not a unique technique. World-wide, fracking is likely to significantly reduce prices so the bottom will be hard to predict. But it is anyone's guess how soon but our petro-heads want to 'carpe diem' and kill CAFE and if possible CARB.

Sorry, trick question, our petro-heads will always be at war with fuel efficient cars . . . until they start losing 'pink slips.' Our hybrids have a stealthy performance advantage, instant torque. One of the earliest Prius SAE papers describes using pulse-width modulation to limit the power draw into MG2. This is also a torque limit that prevents/avoids 'burning rubber.' It is in this untapped, performance window that hybrids have a window to covert performance-people from petro-heads. Silicon-carbide, the 'October surprise.'

When we bought our first Prius in October 2005, it never occurred to me that anyone would not work from facts and data. I knew about electro-political decisions when normally sensible engineers are directed to take less optimum solutions. What I was not prepared for was the lack of ethics of petro-heads who do and will lie not only to others but themselves (i.e., Fiskers with Corvette engines, Consumer Reports, CNW Marketing.)

In 1971, I bought my first car, a 1966, VW microbus with a 1500 cc engine. I used a 'blue book' to track my mileage which let me know when I needed to adjust the valve backlash or other maintenance. A solid, 28 MPG, anything less and something was wrong that needed to get fixed. But there were hardcore, fuel efficient owners even back then.

Well that was a long walk for a short drink of water. Just I am confident we will still have fuel efficient cars EVEN if we have to build them at home. That egg has been broken and even if Toyota decides that FCV as a 'door prize' to CARB, the first Prius plug-ins were not Toyota built. Neither were the EVs as the first I saw was a small pickup with a rack of lead-acid batteries. There is no monopoly of the technology and the hardcore will 'roll their own.'

Bob Wilson

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to keep doing what I do as if the price of gas never dropped and banking the difference, for now. ;)

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The best retort if someone asks,'Do you regret getting that Prius now the gas is cheap?'

A. If you'll pay me to burn it up, I will.

Bob Wilson

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...one thing is for sure, we are not going to lose any money keeping our 2006 Prius...
    that thing already saved a lot a of gaso money, so its gravy from here on out.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Another good answer to the 'Prius regret question:'

A. And I already paid it off, two years ago, with my gas savings.

Bob Wilson

Zythryn likes this.
  20. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ^^^ Inspired by you guys, I calculated my fuel savings for my first 35,000 miles of Prius driving at an average of 53.1 mpg, which required 662 gallons and cost $2,440.
    BUT, the alternative vehicle mix would have been 24,000 miles on our Saturn at an average 26 mpg for about 930 gallons and $3,400 cost, plus 11,000 miles on the Tundra towing a camping trailer at an average 10.5 mpg for about 1,047 gallons and $3,800 cost. The total cost for that mix would have been around $7,200, so driving the Prius thus far has saved us around $4,760 ! Wow.
    So our Prius has not yet paid for itself, but it is well on the way to doing so.

wjtracy, bwilson4web and Mike500 like this.