1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

off the line acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fred, Feb 4, 2004.

1. fred

fred New Member

im new to this list so i hope you will give me some slack. i know by regular car standards this car is not real quick 0 to 60. however ive also read that immediate acceleration from a light is darn near instant . ithink the reason is that the tranny is instant and that the electric motor does nothave to build up to max torque. any responses?????
    thanx
    fred

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless I've gotta kid in a hotrod next to me at a light I tend to leave everyone behind almost all the time. And that's not b/c I'm trying. It just kinda jumps off the line. About 150 yards down the road everyone's catching up, but I've been tending to set the cruise at or near the speed limit while those guys behind me are still accelerating to something faster than the posted limit.

It's kinda uncanny how quick this thing is off the line and I think your assessment as to why is probably mostly correct. There's also the fact that there are no gears. It's interesting to watch how cars just in front or next to you surge with the gear shifting while you smoothly gain speed.

3. fred

fred New Member

THANX for the wonderful reply. ive heard this sort of thing before. its almost like a sling shot effect. again, im not a greenie but ive heard that acceleration is instant from a light.(still a kid a heart). i know youve driven a lot of cars but do you find my question and semi answer to make sense?
    fred

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all about torque :) Electric motors have gobs of it from a standing start. MG2 (main drive motor) + electronics have been optimized to squeeze out 295 ft/lbs at up to 1200rpm (not sure what that translates to for mph - someone could do the math though based on the final drive ratio).

I love my car at Metering lights - boom. Unless they're a quick car, I can generally safely make it to the merge before they try and squeeze me over.

-Rick

5. fred

fred New Member

rick i also thank you for your reply. im getting the impression that off the line the car is a surprise. im wondering if anyone has "chirped" a tire on a dry road.
    fred

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately it doesn't dump full torque, but ramps it up steadily. No chirping unless the wheel is turned, at which point the traction control takes over to spare the PSD and MG1 from a wicked overspin or thrashing should the wheels suddenly catch.

-Rick