1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Offer to buy back Prius for orig. price?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenGene, Jul 7, 2008.

1. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought my 2006 Prius from Miller Toyota in Manassas Virginia after reading several posts about people having good experiences with Miller ... and my experience was also good.

Today I visited their website to see if their online inventory included a Prius - it didn't. But what I did find was this:

Of course, they wouldn't be making this offer if they weren't sure they could turn around and sell the used Prius for more, right? :)

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, my Prius has been in an accident, so it's out.

But I bet I could still get a good sum for it. I have CA HOV stickers. That's a $2,000-$4,000 bump in So. Cal.

3. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    RIP OFF! I was just at a dealership in Bethesda, where I was taking my friend to put his name on the wait list (after 2 years of smug exposure, I've converted him to "the cult"). They had one and only one car on the lot; a 2005 Magnetic Grey with a lot of scratches and 31K miles that they are selling for $25,000. The dealer told us that just last week, when they finally received one for someone on the waiting list (which is 4-6 months long) another customer showed up and said they'd pay $7,000 cash *over list* for it. The dealer agreed to call the customer on the waiting list and they ended up agreeing to take $1,000 from the guy on the lot and go back to the top of the waiting list, the guy at the dealership paid the the full price plus $6K and drove off.

If I were of a mind to go on the waiting list and drive my husband's old Saturn around for a few months, I could *easily,* the dealer agreed, sell my 2006 (only 15K miles) Seaside Blue for $25-26K and upgrade to one with Stability Control and GPS. I am really, really tempted!

4. zaxinc

zaxinc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No way I'm giving up my Prius with car pool stickers. The stickers are a god send in LA. I had an offer from a guy at work to switch with his 5 series BMW for a week. No dice.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't use the stickers that much in San Diego. The few times I've had to commute on HOV freeways, the traffic has been light enough to travel regular, or I've had passengers with me.

The only things holding me back are...the car will be paid for in April and I'm looking forward to no car payments for a while, the long wait to replace it and the fact that the 2008/2009 isn't much better than what I have now.

Of course, if the right offer came around.......

6. GCBloke

GCBloke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A few years back, the same situation was in play with Atlanta dealers asking $5k over sticker for a new vehicle. So I waited, and bought a Prius a few months ago for a little under invoice.

I've no idea how the media have agitated so many people to pay way over the odds right now - the gas savings over the life of the car will be fantastic, but to pay that much extra is just, well, stupid!

No wonder there's a credit crunch, sub-prime mortgage crisis etc. Some basic financial education would go a long, long way...