1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Office Politics

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Somechic, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Every office has them, but does everyone play along?

What happens when you don't?
    (I currently am not a real active player and have gotten some serious backlash because of it.)

How can you avoid? Or work it in your favor?

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jul 21 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]289989[/snapback]</div>
    Not really into office politics, as I work out of the house with my own business, but I've seen top-of-the-line players use this in more than one occassion: 1) management calles a meeting for some decision / purpose, 2) the "players" call a separate meeting 30 minutes before the originally scheduled meeting , it is often held in some obtuse location in the company, far away from the unsuspecting (different floor or other building), 3) players quickly share intelligence, make a plan on their stance, and divvy up the position and "roles" they will play in the meeting, 4) originally scheduled meeting occurs and the players (steam)roll with their plan, often getting their way.

I've been both a participant player and the victim in such meetings. Not sure how common this is, but I bet it is a pretty common trick of the trade. Any one else have similar moves?

3. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jul 21 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]289989[/snapback]</div>
    All depends on who #1 is. Or will be.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

No. I'm usually upfront and blunt about almost anything, don't give a f' about stupid issues in the office, and rarely ever get involved. I've called people out on things in front of other people, again, very upfront and frank, and that scares a lot of people, plus, I don't give a f'k about getting "fired". A lot of people shy away from conflict, after all, since kindergarten we've been "conditioned" to be docile, but that's another tirade. Anway, because of this, "office politics" issues tend to go around me. If things get too stupid, the environment too idiotic or toxic, I just get another job. I think office politics exist in almost every office to some degree, I just choose not to participate either because I don't want to, or, as in most cases, because I just don't care...

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used to work for a department where the two second-in-command managers were definitely into power games. They'd call an 'all hands meeting' in a conference room that was much too small to hold that many people so the room would get stifling hot and uncomfortable, and then see which of them could walk in last. It go to the point that we'd be hanging around up to 20 minutes waiting to see which of them got to be 'cock of the walk' striding in last.

This was in a company that prided itself that they didn't have organizational charts, and in reality it meant no one could be held accountable for anything.

Notice I said 'used to work' there!

6. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I work from home, and sometimes step in when the cats take to fighting, but that's about it =)

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    office politics? try department politics. try having the department rumor mill saying that you do no work when in reality you're inches away from a hospital visit due to the stress of being overworked.

i turned my back on it, i figured making a scene would simply give them more to talk about (though my initial intention was to go the f*&^ over there and them all have it) so instead i focused on making them look like the liars and assholes they are. and it appears to be working. ;) heh.

8. v.jones

v.jones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 22 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]290529[/snapback]</div>
    office politics, departmental politics, political politics, etc., are all just aspects of human relations. Unless you're spending your life as a hermit in isolation living off the land, you are playing the game of "politics" some way or another. Even "refusing to play" is simply one approach to playing the game. Life does not give you the choice of "not being in the game." Keep in mind that "politics" is just one form of sales, the world's oldest profession (some people like to think it was that other profession, but that is simply sales of a specific service, a subset of sales in general). The challenge is learning the rules and finding ways to successfully play the game without sacrificing your integrity. Then you can be a true winner.

Been there, done that, been burnt. As a corolary, I always keep in mind the aphorism about "there is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don't worry about who gets the credit." But I also remember that without enough credit once in a while, it can be awfully hard to pay the bills that come in each month...

9. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We get some departmental stuff as our department is very different than a number of the others.

Overall I tend to just be the person who says what I mean. I don't go for sugar coating and don't really care if someoone doesn't like it. My priorities are to the developmental individuals I serve and their families.

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 22 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]290529[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

11. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(v.jones @ Jul 23 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]291054[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed that my "refusal to play" is my way of playing. I work in a relatively small office (15 full time staffers). My general stance is we are here to work, not make friends. Since I don't spend 45 minutes discussing my weekend escapades, I am somehow "out to make everyone else look bad" because I'm at my desk working.

And granted I wish I could just not worry about such trival matters or simply quit and work somewhere else, but I don't dilute myself into thinking it's not like this at other offices.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ Jul 21 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]289989[/snapback]</div>
    I stay out of it.... No problems here

Personal Favorite
    [​IMG]

13. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    your boss should wish that everyone else had your work ethics!

14. meezercat

meezercat New Member

I think you need to be involved, but not too involved. You need to get your name out there (in a good way), especially if you work for a really big company like I do. But you also don't want to be the one who's constantly gossipping over the water cooler.

My experience is, if you just come in, do your job, and go home, you're likely to get middle of the road reviews and few if any promotions. You need to sell yourself even once you're on the job. It sucks, but that's the way it is.