1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

official TPMS info from Toyota tech training class

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by galaxee, Jan 22, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    edit: briefly updated to correct the post, more info to follow.
    ------------------------------------------
    short answer: the 06 has direct TPMS only.

long answer: so the training manual we referenced when originally writing this post did not have a description of the new direct TPMS, and instead was describing the old system. based on the info we had, if a car had the reset switch along with the direct sensors, it had to have both systems.

the old system had a stored "ideal tire pressure" value pre-programmed into the TPMS ECU that differed for each model, and could not be set to user-specified values. this is why there was no reset button on the old direct-sensor systems, and why we concluded that there were 2 systems.

the new system, which is on the 06 prius, allows for user-defined tire pressures, which for us and our slightly more inflated tires for better mileage, is great. hence the reset button for the direct sensors. you can set your own tire pressure and instead of waiting for the pressure to drop 25% below the specified pressure (which would have been whatever is in the door sill, i think it's 35/33) rather than getting a warning light when the pressure dropped to 25% below your preferred 42/40.

still the same principle aside from that. sensors integrated with the valvestem that measure pressure in your tires and transmit the info to a TPMS antenna, which is wired into the TPMS ECU. it sends a warning light on the dash when you lost 25% of your tire pressure.

sensors are run on Li-ion battery that lasts about 10 years and are in sleep mode until they are installed to prevent battery rundown while sitting in your local parts department.

there is no "main/2nd" switch in the 06 prius, as i've been told. this isn't surprising, i think there's only one or maybe 2 models out there that do have the switch. this means getting a second set of wheels with snow tires or the like on them is going to be a real pain in the butt and quite expensive. you'll have to have the TPMS ECU reprogrammed at the dealer twice a year, it requires the scantool. plus you'll have to have the 7-digit code written down for each of the sensors, including the ones that are installed in the OEM wheels, which means breaking the seal on the OEM tires and reinstalling the tires. it's going to be cheaper to have new tires mounted at the change of seasons rather than having a spare set of wheels.

DocVijay asked the question below about using a different angle sensor for non-OEM wheels. theoretically it could work, but he's going to bravely be the guinea pig here and see what the results are. all in the name of discovery! let's give the guy a pat on the back. :)

i have yet to see the reset/re-initialize info, will post that too as soon as i get my hands on it, which will be later on tonight.

i am glad DH is the tech and i'm not, having to learn about all these new things being sent out all the time on new cars would be a real pain!

2. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Galaxee - thanks for the excellent and detailed information!

- Bob R.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank You!! It is great to see information like this. Bit by bit one can appreciate the degree of engineering that goes into this car. Thank You again. You are defiantly cool. B)

4. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    -_- you're very welcome. i do what i can to contribute.

and i have been deemed "cool" too... what a great day B)

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    one more thing. the valvestem sensors are run on batteries, which last around 10 years. expect to replace them every 10 years or thereabouts.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the tires? What an idea, but 10 years, I guess I have only once kept a car for 10 years.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the info

one question, couldn't the 06 owners re-initialize the settings when they pump all 4 to 42/40 or what not?

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yep. i put that in this section:

increasing pressure in all 4 tires would include the situation of increasing the pressures to 42/40.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh great, another stinkin' battery to worry about replacing in ten years!

:lol:

Great post, G.

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    suppose that'll further reduce the chances of ever making your money back on a prius, huh? :lol:

actually, you have to replace the whole sensor when the battery dies. and i have more info to post here once the cat gets off my chest... which may be a while.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    stumbled upon something interesting in the book. i'm going to ask DH to clarify this whole thing for me before i post any more. i think he'll have to do some digging around in the system at work, which won't happen until tuesday. sorry to shake things up, guys. :(

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

hey im still looking for the post that describes the TIRES that last 10 years !@@!

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I went my parts department yesterday to see about getting some more sensors, and to see what is available for other cars. First, the system did NOT have the Prius sensors in the system. THe 2006 tC sensors were in the system, but had no prices or information. Also, the tC sensors have a different valve to sensor angle, so that may complicate the matter of putting the Prius sensors onto the tC wheels (that's what I'm using).

Now my question is, are any sensors form other Toyota (or Lexus) vehicles compatible with the Prius TPMS? Apparently the valves come in 20 degree and 45 degree varieties depending on the model it's used on. The tC wheels use the straighter 20 degree valves.

I believe the Tundra also uses the flatter valve.

Are they interchangable?

Now, galaxee, what do you (or your significant other) know about this? Thanks.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    okay, info triple checked and verified from the repair manual. still not complete but i'll get to that tonight. (i hope!)

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, went back to the parts dept. today, and no luck in trying to get the TPMS sensors from the 2006 tC. IN the system, the picture shows a sensor, but once they click to order, it says no such part #. THey called cenral distributor (?) in Jacksonville and they said they have nothing yet. The Prius does not even show any such sensor as existing for the 2006.

Now, what other Toyotas have the TPMS and this ttype of sensor? Could I used some of the shallow angle (20 degrees) sensors used by the Tundra? Is it the same as the tC?

Otherwise I may just have to wait until the parts are officially listed in the system. They were not sure when that would be though.

In the meantime, if anyone (galaxee) finds out any more info on potentially compatible sensors, let me know. I will be the guinea pig and will buy a set of monitors to test. If they don't work, then I'll sell 'em on eBay and move on to the next set.

We won't know 'till someone tries.

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i guess the question is whether the old system sensors are going to work with the new system. we have no reason to believe one way or the other- the changes appear to be based in the ECU and how it's reset, but it is possible they changed the radio frequency of the transmitter and receiver. i don't know if they would change that or not. he said the caps that he's seen on the prius are black, but the old sensors are chromed, so it may be a new part altogether which would be a problem.

the vehicles we know of that have the direct sensors are the tundra, land cruiser and one other truck/suv type. i can't ask him at the moment. all the cars until 06 have had indirect TPMS.

because this is a new system he's not sure which vehicles have it vs. the old system. they've introduced a lot of big changes in their TPMS recently, hence all the confusion on our end. i think you're also going to run into more issues at the parts counter if this requires a newly created part, because it might not be available for a while.

couple relevant points from the repair manual:
    under the following conditions the system may not function properly.
    -if wheels other than the specified ones are used, the system may not function because different radio waves are transmitted from the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter.
    -depending on the tire type, the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter may not function properly even though the specified wheels are used

the first one makes me wonder if that was lost in translation. the wheel won't change the radio signal emitted from the sensor, would it? maybe they meant to say sensor?

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Hmm. It almost sounds like they are saying you really shouldn't use any other type of tire, too.

I see that as being a HUGE problem. Federal law basically says that unless a vehicle manufacturer provides replacement parts free of charge, a consumer can use parts from ANY aftermarket source. I wonder how this is going to pan out once someone switches tires and suddenly this safety feature doesn't work.

I know it's most likely a Toyota CYA (cover your a$$), but it's still treading on thin ice legally.

Anyway, I'll find out if the systems are interchangeable. Well I will once Toyota starts selling the parts...

18. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Galaxee,

Thank you very much for the research.

Is there any chance that in fact the sensors to not need to be registered? IE: maybe this information is a remnant from the old system?

On every other car that we own... the sensors are NOT matched to the ECU by serial number... hence you can have extra wheels with sensors and they work just fine. I know they work just fine... because on some other cars... you can actually see the individual tire pressures on the screen... hence I am 100% sure that my replacement tires/rims work fine without coding serial numbers.

/Jim

19. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One question:

Is the TPMS so important? If I where to use winter tires I would simply install them on other rims and ignore the TMPS system

I thought the TPMS system was basically a response to SUV tipping over from flats. I don't think that would happen with a Prius so I don't care if it monitors my tires or not.

Would it be legal to not use the TPMS system?

Can it be deactivated if I don't use the default rims?

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    will have to dig into the procedure for replacing the sensors. the overview DH brought home for me doesn't give a definite answer, Jim. but that is a very good point, now that they've gone and redone things.

all i found was this:
    "if the transmitter ID has already been registered, the ECU compares the measured air pressure value with the standard value."

looking at the reset procedure, they don't mention if that would maybe register the transmitters.

will try to get info over the next couple days.