1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Offshore Wind Power Project

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, Oct 12, 2010.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    On the second link, it mentioned that the cable would be made out of copper. Most transmission lines are made out of aluminum. By making the Aluminum cable much thicker than the copper equivalent, the resistance is reduced to a low level, but the cost is still much less than the copper version. Anyone have an insight into what the case is here?

3. dplatnyc

dplatnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One of the advantages of doing it offshore is that fewer governmental entities may be necessary to get it done--multiple state regulators needn't be consulted and no eminent domain powers have to be used to site the cables.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm. good question. i always thought copper was better but aluminum more commonly used because its cheaper.

i do know that when i wired my house, the main feeders i could have gone 1-2 sizes smaller if using copper. but went aluminum because i had 3 feeders each about 15 feet long but the price difference was like $5 PER FOOT.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most likely it's because they are dealing with an undersea transmission line. Durability becomes a big issue.

Tom

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I take a rather cynical approach to this all. There is no reason that these things need to be so far offshore. It took Kennedy dieing to allow cape wind to get approved. Its time for the federal and state governments to be as wind friendly as Texas.

Building the back bone is a step in the right direction though. It just will be slower and more expensive than it needs to be.

7. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think its pretty clear that they want to be beyond the 3 mile limit for political reasons. Beyond that the article wasn't clear- is the distance because of NIMBYism? Or is it because that's where the wind is? Anyone know?

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cooperation would be nice, but there is already a battle between NE governors and governors of prairie wind states as to who gets the funding to put in the infrastructure to move their home grown product

there was another post made in 2007 about Delaware trying to get a project going. they are not making much progress either. hopefully this will help them get off the ground

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cooperation would be nice, but there is already a battle between NE governors and governors of prairie wind states as to who gets the funding to put in the infrastructure to move their home grown product

there was another post made in 2007 about Delaware trying to get a project going. they are not making much progress either. hopefully this will help them get off the ground

10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There really isn't any technical reason that the US can't generate 20% of its power from wind in the next 20 years. NREL has even estimated that there is enough wind offshore to generate 4x more electricity than is in the grid right now. Compared to other pork spending, wind is cheap. There are political impediments, and many of these come from the federal government. This project does go in the right direction though.

11. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm not so sure. Here are some possiblities:

1) Noise - Just because you cannot see them does not mean that you can not hear them. Distance matters greatly in this regard.

2) Radar interference - If you can get the worst of the radar reflections below the radar horizon offshore, then the FAA objections are probably greatly addressed.

3) Interference with shipping traffic - Just offshore would be right in the local shipping lanes creating lots of navigational hazard infrastructure costs.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Makes sense. If a trawler or something cut the insulation, the Aluminum is going to corrode a lot farther and faster than the copper.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the states only control 3 miles of the ocean, but with wind towers being 200+ feet high, many (insert the blue blood indignation of Cape Cod here) complained it ruined the view and property values of high priced waterfront homes. putting it 20 miles out, eliminates this concern. as far as noise; i have not been on the Atlantic shore in over 25 years, so dont have any real clear memories, but just spent extensive time on the Pacific shore. i dont think a tower 20 miles off shore can complete with the sound of the waves at the shore

electromagnetic interference is an ongoing issue that every type of wireless signal provider must address. not sure what exactly these towers would put out other than low level wireless. most of their connections will be hardwired. the ocean is full of wireless transmitters now. i can t see how adding more would interfere with anything. the spectrum required would be minimal

here we have emergency beacons sitting in the center of every signal controled intersection within the city limits that starts to flash several blocks before fire, police, Med 1 etc, comes thru. this allows an alteration of the traffic signal to insure intersections are cleared so the emergency vehicle can pass thru even during rush hour traffic.

its simply organizing flow of movement. iow; #3 is simply an excuse, not a valid reason for anything. here that phrase "two ships passing in the night?" what does that phrase me to you?

my take on it; means two captains who were not stupid enough to run into each other (or a wind tower)

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Good summary. For those without an idea of what a wind farm looks like, or the legitimate problems in those in Nantucket were fighting against watch this video

Jason Jones 180 - Nantucket - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 8/7/2007 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

There is a great deal of federal politics as the prime sites are in federal waters off the east coast. Cape wind has a more expensive cost per kwh because of some of this federal politics. Noise pollution even 3 miles out is non-existent compared to other ocean sounds. Because Texas joined the union it has different rules and controls the coast until 10 miles out. There is a plan for a 300 MW wind farm around Galveston, that doesn't have to play with national politics. The issue of distance on that wind farm is whether the blades will kill birds if it is too close to land, and they are studying this.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i used to live near and drive past one of the first wind farms in the US. i have pulled over to watch them and take pictures and actually having done so, i am lost as to the issues here.

my experience with them was actually quite serene and beautiful. watching them spinning slowly in the fading sunlight was eerily cool; but the sound they made was not obtrusive, it was actually very calming. i envisioned "wind mills sounds" as track 3 right after "ocean waves" and "nighttime forest"

granted, i have heard that the smaller ones that spin much faster have a higher pitched generator whine that can be irritating, but these ocean monsters probably wont spin much faster than 20-60 rpms.

16. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    max rpm on the Vestas v1.82 turbine is, I believe, 14 rpm. That's a pretty small turbine these days, with a nameplate output of 1.65MW. These offshore beasts could be lower than that. One thing to remember about ships is that they are not maneuverable. Keeping shipping away from offshore wind farms is of prime importance. You don't want a disabled, 250K tonne container ship drifting through a farm during a strong storm. The windage on those ships is massive. Even under power, they have to work hard when conditions are bad. Through in waves and an adverse current and you would be wise to take shipping into account when siting a farm.

17. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely, shipping lanes, environmental concerns, and property rights should all be taken into account. But these are overblown. NREL estimates for 10% of the United States electricity needs only 1%-2% of the best offshore wind sites would be needed. Eminent domain should step in on federal lands as it does in texas if the chief complaint is that the wind farm covers up the view from your multimillion dollar home to 1% of the ocean. Some places are ideal for wind farms 40 miles out while some are much closer to the coastline. Its a strange world when the so called environmental members of congress seem to be stonewalling some of the progress. The BLM is trying to make some of these projects move forward but there are many hold ups from the legislative branch.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    when adding anything to anything, what is already there should be considered. but i have to say that ships are literally a spec in the ocean and yes that spec gets bigger as you approach the shore, but its not like these towers will take up a significant amount of space.

now will accidents happen?? ya, probably. sooner or later accidents will happen. it will suck, the tower will be completely taken out and the ship might suffer some damage but life will go on. several weeks of inconvenience for both the tower and ship owners will be tolerated in exchange for years containing daily doses of clean renewable power.

19. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I was not talking about EMI. I was refering to radar returns off the rotating blades. This is a significant issue on any wind farm within the coverage area of an airport or ATC radar.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oic. gotcha. now, been a while since i have been around any kind of radar, but it would seem to me that there should be a way to filter out stationary objects or at least learn to ignore them.