1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh boy. Dead MFD/Radio/Clock/Side Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BadPirate, Feb 18, 2006.

1. BadPirate

BadPirate New Member

2005 Prius Non-Nav

I was using the CAN-View product (plugs into back of MFD, and CAN-BUS), and it has been working fine. However, it came unplugged (from the can-view box not from the MFD) while I was driving and when I went to plug it back in I may have put it in the wrong pins. The result was a black MFD, no radio response, and a dead clock. I've checked all the fuses and they look fine, I have even replaced the 7.5amp main console fuse, but the results are the same. The car is driveable, but dark in it's mid-section. Anybody have any thoughts as to what my problem could be? I'm pretty sure that if I take this to the dealer it's going to be all my problem ($$$) because there is no way I can hide the mod.

Help?

Kevin

2. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is there an in-line fuse for the display...or is there a fuse in the back of the MFD. I can't remember (it has been awhile since I installed my XM radio and had the back of the MFD exposed).

RJG

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

which fuse block did you check? the one by the drivers door or the one under the hood. It's the #16 fuse second down on the right row on the panel exposed when the drivers door is open left side of the dash behind a cover about 3 1/2" x 5". The fuse layout is on the inside of the cover and should say Panel and is a 7.5 amp fuse. If in doubt pull them out and check with an ohmmeter.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you send Norm a email? He may have ideas. Maybe I should reconsider the modification of the CAN-View to add the programing module so I am not plugging and unplugging things all the time. Let us know how this comes out.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why not just replace them? Are they expensive?

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    fuses or fuse blocks? fuses aren't expensive, but fuse blocks... quite the opposite.

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Normal troubleshooting procedure is to check the fuse, if bad then replace it. Expense has nothing to do with it. Thanks for tip Frank, I havn't even looked for that fuse panel location.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I meant the fuses usually when I have had a question I swap the fuse because I often can not tell if it is good by looking. Makes me get a set of spares for later use.

9. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    have you tried pressing "Info"

i know that if you turn the screen off.. you have to press info to turn it back on again

10. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That wouldn't cause the radio or the clock to be dead though.

Hopefully just the fuse.

Dave

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what frank said.

12. BadPirate

BadPirate New Member

I'm going to try the fuse box by the drivers side, haven't even heard of that one before. I'm really hoping it's just a fuse. At this point I'm fairly certain it's none of the fuses under the hood because I've checked them all.

Kevin

13. BadPirate

BadPirate New Member

That worked! Whoopie! Working car...

::dance::

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You NaughtyPirate, you...

Glad to hear you got the car working again. Going to have to save this one for troubleshooting in the future.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Changing the fuse???!!!

16. wilanddij

wilanddij Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, my 2009 with 124k miles on it just did what sounds like the same thing.(radio/clock/MFD/side mirrors not working). Instrument lights are OK. My first thought, "its gotta be a fuse". Looked at all of them - none blown. Looked a little farther and discovered that there is only 8.4V input to #24 fuse. Any body have an idea what feeds 12V to the #24?

Also looks like a trip behind the MFD might be a next move.

Will Johnson