1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh Dear! …no gauge display! ??? :'(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by WilDavis, Apr 11, 2016.

1. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh dear, I got into my 2009 Gen II this morning, pressed the "Start" button, all sounds and whirrs present and correct, but no gauge display! (see p. 145 Destruction Manual), but the MFD is working OK. "Ready" light comes on, and the car drives perfectly normally, even the back-up camera seems OK. Thought for a moment that I'd gone blind (well my old Mum told me that would happen if I kept doing that! :eek:) I noticed as I was driving, the MFD "Energy" screen worked, but the "Consumption" screen not working correctly! (???) all else, lights, indicators (and inside repeaters on dash panel working OK), wipers, washers, heater-blower, TPMS indicators all functioning. Did a few errands, and miraculously the display started working perfectly, so I head straight into dealer who check their on-line data, and say that there is a known intermittent problem with the display, and since it's still within the 9 year warranty, they will replace the bad part, which will have to be ordered, and in the mean time they'll let me have a loaner (Camri with 2K5 miles on odometer) at no charge, and there will be no charge for the part or the fix. So, despite all my natural instincts, here is a shout out for Toyota of Nashua - Thanks chaps! Nice job! (…at least, so far!) - I did a quick seach hereabouts but couldn't see any other posts about this problem… …anyone? In the meantime poor ChuggyPig rests quietly in the hospital waiting for a brain-transplant!

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Toyota of Nashua is pretty good as dealerships go. I bought my 2004-7 and then my current 2010-V there and their service has been outstanding.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my previous Toyota (Corolla DX Wagon) from ToN in 1993, and traded it in for the Prius in early 2014 when it failed the NH State Inspection (corroded rocker panels). With 292,000 miles on the odometer it still ran like a top, well it was a Toyota, and it never, ever let me down, come rain or come shine it would always start first time!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best wil!(y)

5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks bisco! It's weird actually, it really feels like a family member is undergoing an operation and nice car as the Camri is, it doesn't have the smooth feel of the Prius (especially the glide!) ;)

#5 WilDavis, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we loved our camry's, but after prius, my wife wanted a hycam in the worst way.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't that the truth.
    It's the unexpected benefit of Prius ownership.

I bought the Prius looking for efficiency and fuel economy.
    What I've come to enjoy is the smoothness that HSD creates.

All ICE only vehicles seem so unrefined in comparison.

WilDavis likes this.
  8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Search "combo meter. The first result covers the extended warranty for this part.

Free loaner car is part of the extended warranty. All dealers like to perform recall/extended warranty work b/c which customer will say no to FREE?

WilDavis likes this.
  9. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You were fortunate to get such good service. Here's a link to the extended warranty, including loaner car coverage. It's a fairly common problem which I've had to deal with on two Gen 2s so far. I didn't get such painfree service, though.

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I got a call from TofN at 8:30 yesterday evening telling me the part eventually came in and my car is now fixed and ready to be collected. Halleujah! It only took 18 days to get the part! ...still, they're not charging me for the fix or the loaner, so thanks again TofN!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.