1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh, deer.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FourOhFour, Jul 3, 2006.

1. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I see I can't post without someone nagging me about stupid rules. So I won't.

2. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Oh no :( I'm always paranoid of hitting a deer, I often drive through several areas that are thick with them. They are so cute but it amazes me how stupid they are.

Is the damage just to your hood, or is there headlight/bumper damage as well (can't tell from the photo)?

3. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meezercat @ Jul 3 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]280732[/snapback]</div>
    The headlights look OK, but I haven't tried them. Not sure on the bumper.

4. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope your deer aren't like our kangaroos and wallabies. They mainly graze at dusk and dawn or during the night on the side of the road where the grass is greener because of moisture run-off from the road. A car comes along and they always jump onto the road to get to the other side. Bang.
    The motto in oz is never swerve to miss the live stock. The reason, as my son found out, is that you can easily lose control and end up upside down hanging in your seatbelt.

5. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 3 2006, 10:56 PM) [snapback]280784[/snapback]</div>
    This is about the perfect description of our deer. They like the grass near the road for the road salt from what I understand, but they are fast and pop out in front of you from the side of the road. Hitting one is quite scary and there are rumors about the proper way to hit them so as to not have them come through your windshield. The antlers also add a layer of difficulty.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FourOhFour @ Jul 3 2006, 06:23 PM) [snapback]280727[/snapback]</div>
    So, final score is Bambi: 1; Prius: 2? :eek:

7. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Dittos the description of deer grazing. Except the Moose (Maine), that's a deer too. They are nocturnal and a very dark brown. No mass in the headlights except for spindly legs, the main body mass is 5' above the hoof (7-8' at the shoulder)and that weighs 1500#. Not much chance for a car and driver unless one is extremely cautious when the eye and brain aren't absolutely certain regarding what they see.

The auto knocks the animal down and the body mass smashes through the windshield. Doesn't hurt the Moose much, but kills the occupants. Well, sometimes the moose is killed, like if it's a truck that hits it. A Prius though? Forget it.

8. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 3 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]280784[/snapback]</div>
    sorry 'bout this one fourohfour. same thing happened to me in upstate NY ten years ago, but i was so startled i swerved at 35mph in my civic. went over a low stone wall and smacked a tree. that hurt.

was telling a good friend later and he asked "so what happened to the deer?". i said nothing, the deer just ran off. he laughed and said "you going back for him?!?" ;)

anyway, glad you weren't hurt. good luck with fix.

9. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    FourOhFour,

Ouch!! Where did it happen? The last deer I hit was just 3 miles north of the NYC line on the Hutchinson River Parkway in New Rochelle, NY; they're everywhere now.

You have an 05 (right?) and mentioned you bought your Prius in NY and registered it in Connecticut. You're not shy about your location, your beautiful puppy, your color Prius and your unfortunate dent; why don't you (please) cooperate with Danny's request and update your profile for your fellow Prius and dog loving members?

10. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Jul 4 2006, 04:06 AM) [snapback]280933[/snapback]</div>

C'mon FourOhFour, we all know now that you have a 2005, package #6, from Connecticut.

Just bite the bullet and update the profile (or add it to your signature).

You often have some great posts and would hate for you to go through priuschat withdrawl over such a trivial issue.

This is not to punish you or others like you...just to help convince the newbies to get with the program...which saves us all a lot of time and grief. If we don't have the senior posters follow Danny's requests, then how can we convince the rookies to do so?

11. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm....post edited, picture, gone...looks like FourOhFour decided he didn't want to play anymore. :mellow:

12. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One less anonymous poster!

Too bad; member 1,888's been an active contributor since May 2004

13. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You should hear what my friends in CT have to say about the deer in their yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They eat everything even with the 5# of habenero's that have been sprayed to keep them away!

14. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Jul 4 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]281178[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh..do not fret...if he was anonymous before he will rejoin and be anonymous again. Priuschat is too addictive to just quit cold turkey.

15. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jul 4 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]281180[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, my husband has a similar problem with our "back forty." He believes in a "live and let live" policy, but reckons the deer do not keep to their part of the bargain, so, since the insurance paid to fix his '91 beemer (including the nescessary repainting of the hood to make it match the replaced bits, and which he had wanted repainted for ages because of various dings in it!), he figured it was just his part of reminding all the bambis in Sonoma county of the rules. Despite our dislike of guns, were it not illegal to discarge firearms within our city limits, he would be VERY tempted to get a gun and use the deer grazing on his fruit trees, veggies and grapevines for target practise from our back deck. Wouldn't even be too hazardous to neighbors, as our top deck is about 35' up and the back yard has a very steep downward slope beyond the house foundations... We used to use our son's SuperSoaker, but the deer just thought it was raining... <_<

16. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    About 3 years ago i hit a deer on my way to work with my 2002 toyota echo.It came from my left,i tried to avoid it and hit a pole on my right.So the deer creamed my drivers door and hood and the pole did a job on my passenger front door and front wheel.$6000 damage!So if there is ever a next time (i hope not) ill just hit the deer without trying to avoid it.PS after i got back my echo!i bought some deer repel noise maker that fits on the front of the car.Dont know if they really work,but i didnt hit any more deers.

17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Jul 4 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]281178[/snapback]</div>
    Ah yes. Another fine bit of work by the Profile Gestapo. Congratulations!

18. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 5 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]281366[/snapback]</div>

If losing one or two of thousands of active, helpful members, creates a more informative, easier to use Forum for us all, then...

Maybe he is on the 10 most wanted list and is afraid we are slowly tracking him down!

19. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh!! another Ct prius owner (Betelgeuse).Nice to see! dont see many prius cars around here.Flash the lights if u see me.Allways nice to meet another prius owner.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Jul 4 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]281178[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 5 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]281418[/snapback]</div>
    then?
    then what? we've chased away a contributor to our community. and made the whole group of us look like assholes. i think you crossed a line here. you've been chasing this guy around "for everyone's good"? bull.

guys, this is getting just plain ridiculous. chasing someone off a board (that's not even yours) over an incident that DOES NOT REQUIRE PROFILE INFORMATION? unless you've been living under a rock, you're fully aware that there are deer all over the USA. why on earth does it matter where the poor guy is from?

i don't think we need "less" (ahem, fewer) of anyone around here. 404, i hope you don't take these clowns' harassment seriously.

i also don't think it's up to you to decide who needs to be 'culled from the herd' in order to shape the board in your own way. Danny has made it quite clear that all are welcome and free to speak their minds. while that gives you the freedom to say what you like, it doesn't give you the right to chase others away.

why not give it a rest, it was a non issue here until you made it an issue. and i'm sure i'm not the only one who's really irritated with this incident.