1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh no, I scratched my bumper!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eklabbers, Jul 7, 2004.

1. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

After taking delivery of my Tideland #9 last Thursday, I took my Prius into the dealer's service center this morning, because the check engine light was on, and with 202 miles on the odometer, it didn't want to go off. As I expected, it turned out to be the coating on the O2 sensor, and the service technician took care of it.

Then, as I backed out to get around a car that was parked in front of me, the worst thing happened. I backed up into a pole! :( I totally missed it as I walked up to the car, and it was in my blind spot. I didn't look in my left mirror unfortunately. The good news is that the bumper snapped right back into place, and there are no indentations. The service technician got most of the scratches out by polishing it, but there are still a couple of deeper scratches left. I'm going to call a body and paint shop today to see if they can fix it. My only worry is, will they have the exact same paint color? And of course how much will it cost me?

I'm so bummed out. I never had any accident or bumped into anything when I had my '93 Tercel and just when I get a new car this happens. Still, I'm lucky that this is all, and it will be easy to fix. Maybe I should get me a rear bumper applique to prevent it from happening again.

Esther

2. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Had the same thing happen due to a pole in my blind spot (directly behind the driver). I bought a small bottle of touch-up paint from the dealer (be sure you shake the bottle thoroughly before using). It did a good job of filling in the deep scratches. Now you have to look very hard to notice the results of my blunder.

To assure it never happens again I purchased an infra-red sensor for $29.95 and mounted it with thick double-sided tape on the black strip on the bottom of my bumper on the driver's side. The wiring for it fits perfectly going up through the wire pass-thru gromet on the bottom of the trunk with two wires going to the back-up light (easily clamps onto the wires) and with the alarm wire running up to base of the little window on the back left side (also mounted with double-sided tape). Note: I used a black permanent marker to match the edges of the white tape with the black bumper strip.

One other point, this gave me an excuse to disable the Prius' backup alarm. I now get an alarm sound only when I get too close to something (or someone) behind me, at least on the driver's side (also it alarms when the sun is directly shining into it - a little irritating but better than not having a sensor).

Also, I understand there are available RF sensors (wouldn't be sensitive to sunlight) that do the same thing (don't know their price or where you get them).

Here's a link to the sensor I bought if you're interested:

http://www.brandsmall.com/0172-autopark2000.html

Good luck,
    Ken

3. Cliffman

Cliffman New Member

How did you disable the backup alarm???

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Cliffman

Here's the "DANCE" to disable the backup buzzer:

1. Sit in driver's seat - POWER ON (No passenger or heavy object in passenger seat);

2. Set the Trip/ODO to ODO, NOT Trip A or Trip B; Cycle through even if ODO already showing;

3. POWER OFF;

4. POWER ON to "Ready"; and WITHIN SIX SECONDS;

5. Press and HOLD the Trip/ODO button FOR 10 SECONDS OR MORE, then WHILE STILL HOLDING THE Trip/ODO button;

6. With your FOOT ON THE BRAKE, shift from P(Park button) to R, then back to P; then release the Trip/ODO button;

7. The speedometer will show "b on" or "b off" where you'd normally see the odometer reading. (If you followed the steps successfully!)

8. Press the Trip/ODO button to toggle the beep on or off;

9. POWER OFF

Note: If your 12-volt battery is disconnected or discharged, this setting will revert to the factory standard (beep on).

It's a little tricky but will work.