1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh No!! Not another Prius Newbie

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dr.Jay, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Been thinking about a Prius and watching this forum and John's (1701a) site for about 2-3 months now. . .
    Finally did it, walked into the show room last Thursday and drove home in a new Prius. . . no wait.

Talk about luck.
    The waiting list here (South NJ) is from 3 to 9 weeks and no 'Demos' to check out.
    Anyway, got a call from local dealer that a customer had a Tideland Pearl w/option #3 (BI) just delivered but backed out on the deal at the last minute.
    Went just to 'Test Drive' it but ended up driving it home.
    Had to pay a $1000 "Dealer Availability Surcharge" and no choice on color or options but I like the color and the option actually dropped my insurance rate.
    Anyway, many thanks to the folks in the forum and to John.1701a.
    P.S. anyone thinking about a new Prius, check out the many posts here and go check out John's website.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Congrats!
    I take it the Side Airbags and not the SKS was the option which lowered your insurance. Who is your insurance carrier?

You may also consider adding your hometown to your profile . . . it helps in understanding and answering some questions which may have regional overtones.

Welcome in from the lurking cold. Here are two PriusChat points which doubles your score to four . . . that should help warm you up!

3. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Thanks for the advice, and points, updated profile.
    Carrier is Allstate, Yes, it was the side air bags that dropped the rate, along with the engine demobilizer.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    immobiliser you mean :p

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    immobilizer lowered my rates also

welcome to the forum!! as im sure you already know, purchasing the Prius is probably on of the best things you have done for yourself lately.

that is definitely true for me

1 person likes this.
  6. dupreesdiamond

dupreesdiamond Junior Member

What are the points about? Secondly will I need to inform my insurance carrier about the features (immobiliser and side airbags? or will they know based on the VIN?). And with which package does the immobiliser come? First time car buyer, taking delivery week of the 14th. Seaside (AI). I can hardly stand it.

7. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't know about the insurance but did you notice your points doubled?
    That is because where it says "donate" below the profile stuff and you wish to donate points for whatever reason you can as long as you have sufficient of them. They are great to take along to Prii get-to-gethers and can be traded for lies, stories or a beer resupply.

8. dupreesdiamond

9. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Congratulations and Welcome,

I am also the proud owner of a package 3 (silver) and love everything about my car. I am finding that I could make a case for the NAV system but will get something aftermarket that can go from car to car until we get our next Prius (in 2008 or so :).

Be sure to check past threads for info about any and all accessiories that you might wish to add (seatcovers, car bra, mudflaps, decals, etc). Also, remember that the extended warranty is available for purchase through the PriusChat link at a better rate than most dealer's offer. Be sure to check it out for all the details.

Enjoy your car, you were indeed most fortunate, perhaps a lottery ticket is in order?

I will also be adding to your point collection. And to dupreesdiamonds as well in anticipation of the receipt of their new car on the 14th.

Take care,

Tisza

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

My insurance company (Amica) gave me a lower rate for my Prius than for my old (very old) car.

When I asked why, the immobilizer was an issue, but the side airbags were not. However, the overall reason for the lower rates was that a Prius is considered safer than a 17-year-old Honda Civic. (Well, I should hope so! :) )

11. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

DupreesDiamond, I had to take proof of the Side Airbags and theft-deterrent to my agent.
    I made a copy of the window sticker and (3) pages in the owner manual that describe the operation.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I could ask what insurance compay.

13. dupreesdiamond

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr.Jay\";p=\"70084)</div>
    Thanks Jay. FWIW I will be obtaining Insurance from AAA

14. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Insurance carrier is AllState, New Jersey.