1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh the pain - the lost mpgs!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by donee, Sep 18, 2010.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am attempting to channel Spock, as mind-melded with rock creature....

That is how I feel, although I am in no physical discomfort at all. The analog of the rock creature is my Prius! Not even Dr. McCoy can help it now!

It was crushed from behind all the way up to the rear wheels and rammed into another car in front of me.

And if you were wondering what all those lights were under the Warrenville Road overpass on 355 on Thursday morning, now you know.....

I still have my license. The collision fault is all on the 2000 Chevy Suburban who plowed into me as I stopped for the lady who decided to stop rather than merge onto 355. The SUV driver could have easily driven to the right and over a few traffic cones and avoided the accident. I had my right rear window open for ventilation. So, I would have heard the tires squeel if they did. But I heard nothing...

Sorry, no on-scene pictures. I do not have a cell phone to take them with.

Oh Well...

What Should I get? A 2010 or a uncertain service history used Gen II ?

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Donee,

I hope you're OK, physically I mean -- can't really tell from your post.
    I'm really sad -and pissed -- that this happened to you. It's not right.

What I'd like to know is, if the Prius brakes are so suspect, why are we
    getting so many rear-ended posts, you're at least the 4th in six months.

Welcome to Club Inuendo. :D

Had a similar stopped-on-the-entrance-ramp incident a
    little while back too, but was lucky; no damages/contact.

As to the choice between the Gen II and Gen III, I guess that depends
    on how badly you want the PHEV in 2012. ;)

3. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ouch....sorry for your troubles. I always like to be aware of traffic, so I always check my rear view when in an intersection. Sometimes I see the driver come on quickly, and stop a hair widths away from my bumper...I always hold my breath then!

Sounds like you're already answering your question...new with full warranty vs "uncertain history".:) Especially since there are no changes with the 2011 whenever they come out, I'd say if money is not the object, go for the 2010 (I'm happy with mine so far)!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer dude! hope you are okay. go for the 10, might as well have a new experience! at least rent one for a day and see how you like it. all the best!:)

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi davesrose,

Well, it was either keep my eye on the car in front of me coming to a stop, inches from 60 mph traffic on the main line of the interstate, rather than worry about the competence of anybody that might be behind me. I had too much to incompetence in front of me to worry about. And I did not hear a thing until the collission.

Hi Rokeby,

No damage to me from the accident. The seat collapsed backward, and then my car hit the car in front (while I was already in a laying position). With the two coupled cars, they were more massive than the SUV. So, the total impulse I experienced was apparently very small. The initial impulse taked by the seat, and the second impulse by but friction sheer and my legs.

After it was over and got out of the car, I just could not believe the impact was really that great based on what the rear of the car looked like.

Best advice - keep your headrest adjusted properly. That is probably the best reason why the accident had so little effect on me.

3 people like this.
  6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know exactly what you mean Donee, I've been in that situation before. By the time you realize that the person in front is going to stop where they shouldn't it can be quite difficult to keep from running into them while trying to check your mirrors etc to safely change lanes with potential 60MPH traffic coming from behind.

Basically once that unexpected stop up front causes you to lose all your speed relative to other traffic then any lane change or other form of avoidance (besides just stopping too) becomes that much more difficult. Sounds like there wasn't much else you could have done. As you say, sometimes you just have to rely on the competence of the guy behind you.

It must have been quite an impact given that by the sound of it the suburban didn't even brake! Glad you're ok though. Probably lucky that there were no back seat passengers.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sory to hear that but can relate. I got hit 2 months ago as I was sitting at a light. Cars stopped in front. Cars on both sides stopped. No where for me to scoot as I watched the guy
    in my rv mirror all the way. Pounding on my brake pedal to make my lights flash out back. It felt like he hit me hard but not compared to most rear enders I see here. Just New front and rear bumper and all new bumper support system behind the rear cover.
    He never hit his brakes either. I got some injuries out of too. I think my injuries was made much worse becasue I watched the car coming at me obviously not stopping and I tensed up as hard as I could in anticipation of the crash. Couldn't help that reflex.
    But you'll be real sore for a few days. Lots of Motrin.

8. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Uart,

It really was not like that. I have on two other occaisions seen people stop there. The construction configuration of the merge requires an excellent driver to execute. It comes into the merge without any parrallel run, and with about a 20 degree angle. On other occaisions, I was not the car immediate behind the car that stopped, and just slowed down till I could dodge between the traffic cones.

One person has actually placed a yellow beacon light on their large Grey SUV. But still came to a stop even with the warning light flashing away.

Part of the problem is the construction people have put the yield sign on the ramp lane, rather than the thru lane. By the time you get to that point, any uncertainty, and the law requires you to stop. But the the consequences of stopping as we see is horrendous. It could have been allot worse. If the SUV have shoved the car in front of me out in front of oncomming traffic, that lady would be dead today, and possible up to a 10 car pileup (there is a blind curve on 355 just before this ramp). The Police just do not keep people from tailgating in the slow lane, and under 45 mph (this is a construction zone).

In the previous occaisions, once behind the cones, I just backed up until around the curve in the ramp, to give me vision of both around the ramp curve, and over the top of the hill that makes the blind curve on 355. I had my car angled to dart out between two cones. Then, when traffic was clear, I would just floor it and merge no problem.

There was no way I was going to proceed from stopped out into the main traffic lanes. That is just going to make any collision just plane deadly.

So, I was aware the car in head of me might stop, and was not following closely at all. Still, its a very dangerous situation, as she might jump out into traffic at a slow speed, and get plastered. And I would then have avoidance maneuver to do with any car(s) that might come between us to avoid the two cars that would be in collision.

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, you probably tensed for the collision. I had no warning, and apparently was relaxed at the time of the impact.

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, sorry about your misfortune, but glad you're OK.
    Is your only GII option one with an uncertain history? Even with that, if it's relatively low mileage and a dealer gives it a thumbs-up after a good once-over, I'd probably lean toward that.
    Amen to that. In my line of work I've seen relatively minor rear-end collisions cause significant whiplash injuries from improperly adjusted headrests.

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Jimbo,

I am leaning toward the 2010 (and a sore knee). All it takes is for somebody to run the 2nd Gen out of gas a few times, and limp along on the traction battery for a good distance at speed, and the traction battery has allot shorter life. That never happened in my car. And without service records, I cannot be sure I am getting a car that that has not happened to. I am getting poor response from sales people about providing service records. Without service records, I am probably going to get a new car.

One car I looked at yesterday had concave ridged wear on the brakes at only 47 K miles. So, that indicates lots of high speed high power stops. The brakes were perfectly clean, but very rough when stopping.

That is another issue. How do I be made whole, when my car was driven at slow speeds, had the transmission fluid changed at 40 K, had the BT Tech plate, except for the break-in lube, had Mobil 1 in the engine, had the CHS pump replaced, had the engine water pump replaced, had Hydroedge Tires, block heater, new Yellow Top Optima battery (with adapter kit) and aerodynamic wiper blades? I could get one of these used cars and have to pay for those pump repairs myself (!) when it was already done on my car, have to put a new BT Tech plate and block heater on, have the 12 V battery fail have used TW 560 tires wear out by summer and then have the traction battery fail by abuse (at which time I am sure the service records will miraculousing appear indicating traction battery abuse). Let alone 45K or more miles on cheap engine oil, and driven at high speeds with cheap engine oil. People who trade cars in at 60K or less, treat their cars like crap.

The Insurance Company is not offering any bump up above NADA average retail price regarding the service and additional equipment status of my car. Hell, I have yet to see a 2006 with that low a mileage (57K) that is for sale. So, that means getting a 2007, which with the CHS pump repair, my 2006 was equivalent to. Actually, my 2006 was mechanically better, as it had a new engine water pump. From the priceing I have seen on a 2007 with similar mileage, they are offering $5K less than the average of those available cars.

SO, from my point of view, I could spend $8K to get into a used 2007 and cover maintenance and upgrades to get it to my level of my car, but with uncertain running equipment life above and beyond what the Insurance company is offering. Worse Case. When $10K will get me a new car.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's time the auto industry started rewarding good maintenance (with appropriate documentation) and penalizing the opposite. if you tend to keep your car for just a few years, what's the reward for maintaining it properly?

13. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Good advice on the headrest.
    Sounds like the crumple zones performed properly.
    Did you get the full airbag experience? (I've never had one, fortunately--what's it like?)

I'd tend to go for the 2010--doesn't it have better MPGs overall, and especially on the highway? I'd have to get a really good deal on something used to go for it--so good I might be suspicious of a problem. I don't know about price patterns on used Gen II's, but the increase in MSRP on the Gen III seemed very low to me--and you might be getting into the end-of-model-year time for 2010.

Good luck.

14. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi kgall,

No airbags. I was some distance from the car in front, when the SUV ramed me from behind. So, apparently, there was enough decelleration between the initial and secondary collisions to avoid air-bag deployment.

On the 2010, it has a larger engine, with more engine mass, and a worse shifter position. These things will result in probably less mileage for me. Although, the morning highway run would probably have beter mileage (warms up faster with the exhaust heat exchanger, more efficient highway cruising engine).

I am hoping they will come down $1000 on MSRP, and with the 1000 off on the financing thing they got going (.9 % or 1000 off) , I could be in a Package 3 for about $23K plus sales tax.

Yes, apparently there are like 13K unsold from the 2010 Prius production. So, no 2011s yet. They are motivated to sell.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the best deal i have found around here on a genIII is $24,750 msrp and 22,100. my cost. keep shopping!:)

16. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi bisco, et al,

I have selected the replacement vehicle. I am going with a new car. A 2010 Trim Level III with Navi / Rearview camera (and all the other stuff that comes with it that I probably wont use). This option is MSRP $2030.

I was very interested in having a Rearview camera. Need to hook up an chirp radar to the rear of the car, and have it detect close approaching high speed vehicles, and snap the scree into rear view. That s the ticket!

It was under $26K with all fees. Toyota has a $1K rebate going on right now. And I am sure the dealarships want to get the 2010 allotments sold, so they can be the first to get the 2011's.

1 person likes this.
  17. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! A rebate on a Prius!
    Have I missed something (I was away from Priuschat for a while), or is this something brand new?
    Anyone know if it's local or national?
    How come it's not in the Prius News forum?

18. txtabby

txtabby 2011 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't of stopped for her. Look what it got you. Being nice is one thing. Being nice to someone who stops on an onramp, nope. Shes stupid for doing that in the first place.

19. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    txtabby,

Since you've included the text of my earlier post, I take it that you are
    speaking to my stopped-on-the-onramp incident.

First, to correct a minor detail, the other driver in my incident was a
    male.

I want to be very clear, I pulled over to the inside of the circular
    onramp before getting to the stopped driver for my own safety. I was
    concerned for the other driver, but their actions were outside of my
    control. I was intent on not getting caught-up or trapped in the
    chaos/mayhem that I was afraid was going to happen... and did, and I
    was well clear of it.

On different but related topic:

I don't understand why people who are executing a proper merge into
    high speed stream -- accelerate briskly up to and even slightly above
    the speed of the traffic stream -- think that the solid white line at the
    right side of the lanes is a stone wall and cannot be crossed.

After I've accelerated up the onramp to match the speed of the traffic
    stream -- and if it is moving at above PSL that's fine, I going with the
    flow -- I never hit the brakes to stay in the merge lane. Period.

If some jerk maneuvers to keep me from merging left, I just continue
    at speed, across the rumble strip if there is one, and into the
    breakdown lane. I could care less if my car is kicking up trash or
    pebbles.

Every driver is not an a$$hole, in my experience there are by far the
    exception. Should I end up traveling at speed in the breakdown lane,
    the following driver, seeing what's going on, and hearing the pitter-pat
    of gravel on his hood/front right fender typically has backed off a little
    and made an opening. I brake slightly and slip left into the slot, braking
    at this point only enough to line up with the slot.

Of course I'm pissed as hell at the first driver. But there's nothing that
    realistically can be done. So, make a big broad "thank you" wave up by
    the mirror to the driver behind. The guy in front? A sh!thead for sure,
    but I'm not going to play his stupid games.

Again, I wonder why folks see the solid white line to the right as an un-
    crossable barrier leaving themselves with the only option of coming to
    a full stop. I seems really, really stupid to me.

20. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi tex...,

I was caged in by those large traffic cones with no where to go but slow down and stop. Then WAM! I could have gone to the right through a cone, but it would have snagged under the car and done some damage. At the time, I was not considering following traffic, as I was very concerned about a T-bone collision right in front of me. I had no problem coming down to a stop, if nobody whould have driven into the rear of my car....

Until they change that construction traffic pattern, these accidents will recure at that spot. Sooner or later, somebody is going to get T-boned dead....