1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh... what a Bumper Bummer...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zang, Jul 6, 2007.

1. zang

zang New Member

Within the first 2 weeks of owning my new '07 Prius BOTH front and rear bumpers were dented while paralleled parked. The front was hit badly enough to require a new bumper. Ouch! I'm searching for protection of the black rubber variety, online... obviously cheaper than the $800.00 bumper replacement cost quoted by my body shop (in San Francisco we pay dearly for good body shop repair).

Has anyone added on bumper guards that functioned well? Where did you find them? Right now, aesthetics aren't my greatest concern.

BTW: Why can't car manufacturers make durable bumpers? Doesn't seem that enviro-friendly to be replacing bumpers frequently! More cars on the road=more accidents... and yet bumpers are more fragile than
    ever!#*!? Couldn't 3M and Tupperware get together and make a bundle on this? My old car was a 318ti 1997 with strong black rubber bumper guards that I'm missing a lot right now. Only drawback to my Prius so far...
    Thanks!

2. postal1

postal1 Wanderer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zang @ Jul 6 2007, 04:31 AM) [snapback]473890[/snapback]</div>

What is with the Prius you have? It sounds like mine! Two stones to the windshield and bumper tag to my door at the store. I noticed scratches to my bumper on top, it seems that taken things in and out of the trunk cause's scratch's! I had a rubber strip place there on the top, works great! You might go to a repair shop, they carry strips about two inches wide and they use a heat lamp to cure it to the bumper. I am tempted to have them do the whole bumper with two strips from one side the the other. Something that I think Toyota should have done in the first place.

3. zang

zang New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dennis Carr @ Jul 6 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]474014[/snapback]</div>
    I agree! Toyota should provide door guards, side moldings and bumper protection, or at minimum offer it as an upgrade! Who doesn't park their car in a parking lot from time to time??? Part of the reason I put the door guards on is that I don't want to ding other cars either when opening my door in tight parking spaces.
    I drove my new Prius from the lot straight to my body shop to get rubber door guards and side body moldings installed. Bought the black plastic trunk bumper protector online, which is great, except I need the same on the vertical sides of both bumpers! Thanks for the rubber strips/heat lamp curing idea for the bumpers... I'll ask my body shop when I pick up my car with the new $800.00 bumper today!!! Is there a lobby for the Auto Body world that keeps car manufacturers from building a stronger bumper??? I'm beginning to wonder....

4. zang

zang New Member

My trusty body shop guys showed me some black rubber trim (about 2 1/2 inches wide) that they are going to put on my front and back bumpers, extending around the corners. I had some color samples to match my Seaside Pearl that I got online but the black looks better with the "trim"underneath the rear bumper and will probably hold up way better than painted plastic. I'll report when I get the trim on in 2 weeks re: price and results.

It's brutual parking on the streets of a big city even for a few hours. Toyota wake up and smell the profits= offer body protection kits!

5. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zang @ Jul 6 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]474354[/snapback]</div>
    Ahhhh ... mmm... the profits come from the $800 bumpers. Who would mess with that?

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally like 2" bumper protector strips which will protect your bumpers from most parallel parking scrapes (chipped paint on your rear bumper from another car's front license plate bolts; corner scrapes to your rear bumper from another car pulling out of a parallel park; and corner scrapes to your front bumpers from your backing into a parallel park), but will not protect your bumpers from a heavier collision.

bumperdefender.com has nice color matched strips for a good price (about $80 for front and rear). You can get 4 free samples from them to try to match your car's color. I like their bumper protector strips because the color is impregnated - it goes all the way through. Compare, for example, the popular side moldings sold on this site where the color is painted on and can scratch and chip off to expose the white or other color undercoating.

I have a Magnetic Grey Prius, and found a pretty close match with bumperdefender.com's Dark Grey. It looks fine. And if I cared enough for an absolute color match, I could have spray painted the bumper strips with Toyota Magnetic Grey paint, which if it chipped, would expose the pretty close match of the bumper strip with its impregnated color.

Also, nobump.com has these small (about 1") round bumpers that get screwed into the top screw holes of your front license plate. These give you some protection, but probably protect the rear bumper of the car in front of you more from getting dinged by your front license plate screws when you parallel park.

If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post pictures later of both the bumper strips and license plate screw hole round bumpers. PHOTOS ARE NOW ATTACHED:

[attachmentid=9606]

[attachmentid=9607]

7. zang

zang New Member

Thanks... am getting mine installed next week and your photos will help with the placement.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Jul 11 2007, 03:41 AM) [snapback]476677[/snapback]</div>

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SUPPLEMENT RE FRONT BUMPER STRIP:

When I installed the front bumper strip I elected to locate it on a line that ends up covering up the bottom 1/3 of the tow access hole - see picture below:

[attachmentid=9850]

I figured (perhaps mistakenly) that this wouldn't be a problem in the event I ever have to get towed. I figured that either the tow driver can still go through the exposed top 2/3 of the tow access hole, or we could pry back or cut/punch through the bumper strip as necessary.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zang @ Jul 14 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]478677[/snapback]</div>
    Zang and All:

Please see my supplementary post about my partial covering up of the tow hole in the front bumper.

Please note that one member has replied that if I ever have to get towed by a flat bed truck, a tow hook that is supplied with our Prius needs to get screwed into that hole which is threaded.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Jul 18 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]481122[/snapback]</div>
    FOLLOW UP:

I went back to the owner's manual. It suggests that you only need that hole and hook in the odd emergency situation where you have to get towed with a rope/chain through the hook (e.g., if you're stuck in a deep ditch or underwater).

I also went back to my car and tried prying back the bumperstrip to remove the plug and access the hole, and found that it was easy to do --- notwithstanding the 3M super-duper glue, I was able to pry back the bumperstrip with my fingers.

So all in all, I'm not worried any longer. The bumperstrip stays where it is. Although if I could have a do-over ....

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zang @ Jul 14 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]478677[/snapback]</div>
    Zang and All:

I also just finished installing the PriusChat Shop body side moldings this weekend. Thought you may be interested in seeing how my Prius looks with both the BumperDefender.com 2" wide, full width, color matched, front and rear bumper guard strips, and the PriusChat Shop body side moldings:

[attachmentid=10030]

[attachmentid=10031]

[attachmentid=10032]

12. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Beautiful work, Boo!

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Jul 23 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]483560[/snapback]</div>
    AHA! Fooled you! I only showed you my good side! On my driver's side, I messed up one of the door's side molding by, I think, only one degree --- but I notice it every time I go to my car (but I'm guessing that this self-consciousness will soon pass). It would have helped if I had another set of eyes standing far back to check the alignment while I was pressing the moldings into place.

BTW, if I had to choose between the BumperDefender.com bumper guard strips and the PriusChat Shop body side moldings, I'd choose the bumper guard strips. I think that the bumper guard strips:

(1) generally protect against many more scrapes and dings than the side moldings --- especially for those of us who parallel park a lot,

(2) look better than the side moldings,

(3) will probably still look good years from now --- they're rubbery with the color impregnated in them, while the side moldings are stiff and plasticky with the color spray painted on, and have been known to chip.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that I now have both.

Good luck. And many thanks for your prior advice about that tow hole plug!

--- Boo

14. zang

zang New Member

I just got the bumper protectors on this week...cost $100 and took about 20 minutes. Could've done it myself and saved some money but my trusted auto body shop owner at Bryant Auto Body www.bryantautobody.com in San Francisco, told me that 2 people are needed to get the trim on straight and level. I went for the black rubber, although there are some online vendors that can sell you plastic trim painted close to some of the Prius colors. I think $100 is cheap insurance against small dings, scratches... which are bound to come my way in the City. Bryant Auto Body guys said the tow hole is used only if the car has to be hauled out a ditch but they did leave 95% of it visible in case of that disaster. Here's what the trim looks like on my car.

Attached Files:

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zang @ Jul 26 2007, 01:09 AM) [snapback]485287[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Zang,

Nice! Your shop did a good job. The contrasting black strip (as opposed to my color matched strip), plus the installation of the strip all the way to the edge of the wheel opening (as opposed to my ending it at the crease that's 3" away from the edge), is retro. I like it. I like my way more, but I still like it.

Are you going to go with body side moldings as well? If so, will you be going with black or color matched moldings?

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zang @ Jul 6 2007, 05:31 AM) [snapback]473890[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Zang,

I think car makers stopped making durable bumpers as soon as Congress repealed the legislation that required bumpers and the car to survive a 5 mph crash w/o significant damage. Some car makers then came out with near useless bumpers --- see, e.g., Mercedes where the front bumper was almost flush with that famous grille. BMW reduced the size and crashability of its bumpers (compare your 1997 318ti's bumpers with any of its predecessors --- especially the generation of BMWs that had bumpers with shock absorber like springs on them), but they were still better than most. You were actually relatively lucky with your new Prius --- there are some new cars out there that will incur $8,000 - $9,000 in damage from a typical 5 mph parking lot crash. Boy that must hurt!

17. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nice photos. How hard was it to put them on...or did you have it done? As for the color match, a contrasting color wouldn't look bad as long as the strips were absolutely straight and not wavy like some do-it-yourself glue on installations I've seen. I couldn't get the website to display actual colors; only textual names for them, so it was a guess when picking samples to look at.

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ Jul 26 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]485655[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Bob,

I'm going to assume that you are talking to me, and not Zang; and that you're referring to the BumperDefender.com bumper strips, and not the PriusChat body side moldings.

It took me about 20 minutes to install my front and rear bumper strips. It would have been useful to have another set of eyes stand back 10 - 15 feet away to double check the alignment as I slowly removed the adhesive backing and pressed down on the bumper strip. The bumper strips are rubbery/vinyley and can deform into the wavy installation you've seen. BTW, the PriusChat side moldings, which are stiff and plasticky, can do the same thing. If the earth's gravity alone can deform a straight, hard steel rod (albeit, imperceptibly to the naked eye), then it and the 3M super duper adhesive can easily deform the softer bumper strips or side moldings.

Regarding the color match, yes it would be useful if BumperDefender.com showed the colors on its website. Otherwise, you're guessing. What color Prius do you have?

Finally, you may want to check out my other posts on the subject (search "bumper guards", or my exact name "Boo"). Or feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if I can be of any other assistance.

19. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Jul 26 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]485432[/snapback]</div>
    I agree! I had a 1977 Porsche 911S. One day, I cranked the engine thinking that the car was in neutral but it was in 1st gear. The car jumped forward and slammed hard against the garage's concrete wall. The bumper retracted and a few minutes later returned to its normal position, with absolutely no damage to the bumper or its thick rubber guard.

I am not sure that the strips are going to protect the Prius "bumpers" against anything other than perhaps a shopping cart.

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jul 26 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]485760[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I think the bumper strips will protect against a shopping car (assuming the contact point is the right height!). But they will also protect against, I think, at least 90% of the scratches, scrapes and gouges that bumpers routinely get from normal parking --- especially from parallel parking. And this is even more true for NYC and other city dwellers who frequently have to spend a half hour or more searching for a parallel parking space that's only 12 inches longer than our car! In such a situation, "tapping" bumpers in front of and behind you is an absolute requirement (unless you have a helicopter handy to gently drop your car into the space). And then you have to face a similar, though easier, situation when you move out of that parallel parking space.

I long for the return of the 5 mph bumpers of our youth. Not only did they protect more, but I think they looked better too. I'm going to have to raise the issue in the next YouTube Presidential Debate. :D