1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oh what now...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Missy D., Feb 4, 2021.

1. Missy D.

Missy D. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a 53 yr old female who has had 3 strokes, 2 brain annurisms and,1 heart attack trying to fix my first Toyota Prius gen 2 ever which I love dearly. The person who owned it prior was a crash magnet but did excellent care of the engine and trany so got a good deal a couple months ago got a 08 parts car, now that guy didn't take care of the fluids so blown engine nice perfect body great for me got all my parts and then some to fix my babe well the other day it started back with this P lock thing so I replaced itit is now only doing half of the idiot lights as before but still wont start like it should the self diagnostics say nothing wrong obd2 cold and running say nothing wrong. but when I get it to start it runs great turn it off it wont start back up and you get codes ABS: 1259 and c1310. Its ABS : 1259 hv system regenerative malfunction, c1310 10Active Booster Solenoid b)hv sys malf. but if it starts the codes go away till you turn it off and try to start it again and sometimes it starts no problem New hybrid battery and 12v.

HELP PLEASE

Oh yeah my son in law got me Toyota tech stream but cannot get it working
    no key ever sent tried getting one but no luck

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So you have an 09 that has an 08 drivetrain and now you have the brake codes?

#2 rjparker, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  3. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i was just reading a guy's response on cars .. about who should have a hybrid and who should have a non-hybrid ..
    people on a budget he said should have a non-hybrid ... like a camry, corolla, etc. because the systems are simple and so are the repair and the costliness and prob. timeliness of the repairs dont take the travel factor so much out of your life ... (while its being fixed ) ...
    if i had had several medical procedures and wwas a bit sickly and low on energy (is that fybromyalgae?) then i would have to say i shouldnt be having a hybrid car for the reasons stated previously. 3 cents.
    (i beleive this is more related to an ---old--- prius ... a newer of anything is going to be good for 50000 miles no problem ... a 10 year old car with over 100k miles is going to be a pita for anyone esp. physical maladies)

#3 chronon, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    M in KC likes this.
  4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    C1259 and C1310 are usually generated when the HV system is not functioning properly, either because the HV battery or ECU has gone bad. If you weren't able to get Techstream working, how are you reading the codes? Possibly the device you are using is not reporting all of the codes that are being thrown. Dr. Prius is probably the best substitute if you can't get Techstream to work. It can give you information about your HV battery, which I suspect is the real problem. You say you replaced the HV battery and the 12V. Was the HV battery a new battery from a Toyota dealer or a refurbished one? Even if the 12V is new, it is best to get a voltage reading with a multi meter at the front jump points to make sure it is not part of the problem.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    This link has numerous techstream related posts, including some with step-by-step installation instructions and pictures.

https://blog.obdii365.com/tag/toyota-techstream/

Which OS are you attempting to install on?

davecook89t likes this.
  6. Missy D.

Missy D. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no just the opposite I have 09 frame and trany and engine just 08 doors and fenders and bumpers w/ skins

it was refuribished and went to have it checked and voltage better than the new one which had bad readings and wouldn't hold or take a charge. the funny thing is right before these codes popped up lets say 1 hour these codes were not showing up till the shifter(p lock) was changed. on the self diag on the prius it shows good

#6 Missy D., Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2021
  7. Missy D.

Missy D. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will get a reading. and post it

8. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What version Techstream? 14 or 15?

Do you get a character stream similar to this
    0087937893F6EE368D5F42CA6A543A01

9. Missy D.

Missy D. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry I was in an accident and to get myself better and then worry about the car. So now I have a very nice looking car with a red triangle of death and 4 codes (c1203, c1259, c1310, and c1345) now all the others are gone I have gone thru each system (all lights and codes gone. changed the ABS block, lines, I found a leak(cross threaded in the block) and drained and flushed the tranny it had never been done even though I paid to have it done. Had the water pump changed (HV side main) changed the 3way pump, inverter an all, they said ECU and Skid unit ECU changed and new they said. But push button on key doesn't work to unlock doors, the alarm light flashes which didn't before.

Software id is: 71B3AD2AEB2DA375A3030F2AFC6A0006
    version: 14.30.023

10. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't speak to the rest of it, but if the key isn't working to unlock the doors it might just be a dead/weak battery in the fob.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You haven't listed any codes from the hybrid system. That's a problem, because you have C1259 and C1310, which are brake ECU codes that only mean "brake ECU is passing along that there are codes in the hybrid system". (davecook89t mentioned that a year ago, but it might have been overlooked.)

So, to find out what's going on there, you really need access to a scan tool that can tell you what the hybrid system codes are. The C1259 and C1310 by themselves aren't the information you need.

C1345 is simply a code telling you the brake system needs to go through its linear solenoid calibration procedure. There's an operation in Techstream for doing that. That's a step that will always need to be done after replacing the brake actuator or skid ECU, both of which I'm seeing in your last post.

C1203 is a slightly weirder code. In general, it means the skid ECU doesn't feel at home with the information it is getting from the engine and HV ECUs. I've seen it come up in other threads where a skid ECU is transplanted from another car, but it doesn't seem to be always. Anyway, the workup section for it in the repair manual says to be sure to take care of the C1345 first.

If the only two original codes were C1259 and C1310 as seen in post #1, which (as explained) don't indicate brake issues at all, then all of that replacement of brake parts and skid ECU was originally unnecessary, and the C1203 and C1345 appear to be self-inflicted consequences of that unnecessary work. I'm sorry to say that; it makes all too good an example of how important it is for someone to look up the codes in the correct repair manual for the car and understand what they mean before taking some action.

I guess we also need more posts explaining that C1310 on a Prius has nothing whatever to do with any "active booster solenoid", to increase the chance of people learning that in a search. All C1 codes are "manufacturer defined", which is to say they can mean completely different things from one make or model of car to the next, and the "booster solenoid" nonsense surely is right for what C1310 means in some totally different car, but has nothing to do with a Prius. Seeing it in any post about a Prius with a C1310 is a sure sign of somebody Googling for the code, or reading it off a generic scan tool, and not looking it up in the repair manual, where the correct info is found.

hole_shot58, drone13 and davecook89t like this.