1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oh What You Do to Me... Toyota!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Walk_the_walk, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Walk_the_walk

Walk_the_walk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife and daughter went to the local Toyota dealership today in Gainesville, FL with our 07 Prius and they came up with a long list of expensive repairs. So, I went there immediately and had a long chat. I caught the service tech in a bald-faced lie, whether borne of either incompetence or fraud, I do not know, but a lie nonetheless, which serves to underscore the dissatisfaction most women feel when going to the dealership, where they can become victims.

Case in point: Remove plastic cover in trunk to test & replace the 12 Volt lead-acid battery - $100 plus $200 for the battery. Service rep said the battery was only available from Toyota (NOT TRUE - you can get an excellent replacement by Optima at any Auto Zone!). I had previously checked this battery myself, so I was livid about the $100.

Replacing a tiny leak in the water pump was another $300 labor plus at least $200+ for the water pump. Not really sure the pump was bad, but they claimed it was and we have a lot of miles on the car.

It seems that if you are a female, and own a Prius and show up at our local Toyota dealership.... its' a "cha ching" alert for the service advisors to price gouge the hell out of you. I arrived and started complaining about the prices (since we had bought the car from them), and they immediately dropped the price on the battery swap. Outrageous. Last time we darken their door.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been "buyer beware" ever since the serpent offered the fruit of knowledge to Eve.
    P. T. Barnum has been attributed as being the one who quipped "there's a sucker born every minute".

And this surprises you?

Which is why quite a few of us on this site call them "stealerships".

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know about the cost of the repairs, how ever I had my water pump replace at about 50,000 miles with a small leak and is some what common with high miles.
    The small 12 volt battery can go about 3-5 years any longer and it can go bad any time. So it may have tested bad when checked under load?
    I don't mean to stand up for the dealer on the repairs but it just might have been time.
    As for the cost those I have not checked to compare so I can not comment.

Good luck with your car, I hope no more problems.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the car?