1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ohhhh Noooo Ohhhhhh Bama

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daronspicher, Apr 24, 2007.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

I hope this stuff is enough to take Obama off the political map in the next year or so. For those who are paper-thin-skinned, this one is not a parody or lampoon.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...ll=chi-news-hed

The earlier articles show that on this day, Obama got a $300,000 discount on his purchase while the Rezko's paid sticker price for their piece of this property that had previously been sold as one property. Weird all the discount fell on Obama's side.. well, not really that weird if you're corrupt and on the take from guys with deep pockets who make a living buying politicians.

Who is Rezko and why is it bad that Obama and Tony walk hip to hip?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoin_Rezko

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 24 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]429028[/snapback]</div>
    democratic presidential timber is rooted very shallow at this point. i hope he is their nominee.
    barak hussein obama

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This has already been discussed and covered on PC. try searching.

You can't compare two purchases of property - discounts come for a number of reasons.

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 24 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]429033[/snapback]</div>
    Rezko's not an exclusively Obama problem, just a dirty Illinois politics as usual problem.

City knew of problems
    Mahru ran Rezmar's day-to-day operations.
    Rezko was the schmoozer. He showered politicians with money for their campaign funds and got others to do the same. He gave to Democrats -- foremost among them former Cook County Board President John Stroger, Gov. Blagojevich, Daley and Sen. Barack Obama. Rezko gave to Republicans, too -- among them former Gov. Jim Edgar, the late Rosemont Mayor Don Stephens and President George W. Bush.

He also gave to others who held sway over Rezmar's housing deals -- like Chicago aldermen.

Meanwhile, Rezmar's low-income apartments were deteriorating, and it stopped repaying some loans.

So why did the city keep lending Rezko's company more tax dollars? "During the time he did work with us -- and that was many years ago -- there was nothing to indicate there was a problem," Daley spokeswoman Jacquelyn Heard said.

In fact, there was. City attorneys repeatedly went to court to force Rezmar to make repairs to its buildings and, in some cases, to get the heat turned on.

State loans helped
    In 1991, Republican Jim Edgar had just been elected governor, and Rezko had been "very helpful'' in raising money for Edgar, according to Robert Kjellander, a top Illinois Republican Party official and one of Edgar's top fund-raisers. Rezko and Mahru hired Kjellander, an influential lobbyist, to help get state money for housing projects.

"It just lasted a couple years," Kjellander said.

Eight months after Edgar took office, the Illinois Housing Development Authority gave Rezmar a $500,000 loan to help rehab a 65-unit building for senior citizens in South Shore. A year later, Rezmar came back to the state and got a $60,000 loan, citing cost overruns.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/355099,...-rez24a.article

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Apr 24 2007, 09:23 AM) [snapback]429042[/snapback]</div>
    So, now that Obama has also made money off some shady real estate dealings (aka Whitewater) . . . is that the final qualification he needed to become POTUS? :huh:

If elected, maybe he could hire Bill Clinton as his personal legal defense lawyer. OOPS, forgot, Bill lost his license to practice law, but maybe he can get it back in time, maybe not.

Well then, Obama could certainly hire Hillary to show him how to make some subpoenaed real estate transaction documents disappear until just after the statute of limitations runs out.
    She has the request experience, and she still has her law license.
    She can claim attorney client privilege.
    She could even show him that special hiding place within the residential area of the White House. :unsure:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh.../vietdinh2.html

And if all fails, Obama could hire Samuel "Sandy" Berger to steal the incriminating documents and stuff them into his socks. :lol:
    Hillary could advise Sandy when it's safe to change socks. ;)
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/20/berger.probe/

Obama would definitely need some help. After all, dirty as usual Illinois politics doesn't quite receive the level of scrutiny as national politics.

6. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tom Pendergast, mob boss in Kansas City, Mo., made Harry Truman the political person he ended up being. Harry ended up being his own man and one of our better presidents.

7. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 24 2007, 03:46 PM) [snapback]429308[/snapback]</div>
    Well, if Obama made money on his real estate dealings then it's not at all like Whitewater, where the Clintons lost money. And if you wanna go after everyone Rezko gave money to, better include Mayor Daley, Jim Edgar, and George W. Bush.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep. This is VERY old news. It's all been discussed and hashed out and turns out there was no wrong-doing on Obama's part.

I'm kind of surprised our resident Republicans don't remember our having this discussion not all that long ago.

Or, maybe it's because they've got NOTHING they can say against him, so they're repeating the stuff that was debunked so recently, in hopes that they may catch some newborns with it.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 24 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]429357[/snapback]</div>

Oh, I'm sure they remember. And I'm sure it will be repeated over and over every time a Republican candidate puts his foot in his mouth or does a very BAD rendition of the Beach Boys.

"Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran."

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 24 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]429377[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, don't remember.
    Did I participate?
    Where are the links to the debunking? :unsure:

11. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 24 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]429033[/snapback]</div>
    When Obama and Resko purchase halfs of a previously single property on the same day and only the Obama piece has a $300,000 discount and the Rezko piece has a $0 discount, you can compare those and scratch your head.

You think the seller and two buyers were in the same room for this, or do you think it was just a wild coincidence? You're not that big of an idiot I hope.

Secondly, the house dealing was discussed earlier. The Rezko / Obama prior connection wasn't discussed, this is new. And, you want it swept under the rug... Very much a democrat way to handle it.. I understand.

You don't want your guy being connected to corrupt political lobbiests and you can't defend this relationship, so let's all say.. "Um yep, we discussed it before, no news here, everyone loook.. free candy over there... "

I think all this crap will come out during the general election. It's a bit under the covers here in Illinois now.. a piece at a time comes out.. If he goes national with this, I sure hope people are bright enough to shine a light on this stuff. Too bad Americans aren't smart enough to care that the candidate is tied in with corruption.

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Apr 24 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]429314[/snapback]</div>
    and your point? You must be backing Rudy - I guess by your criteria he could be the next Lincoln or Washington :lol:

and i agree with you about truman - a true Democrat with testosterone and an understanding of what America is and stands for - a far cry from the current day dhemocrats who have been neutered by the stalinists and other hate america people who form their base. truman did not govern by poll numbers, he made tough decisions - often unpopular and very very controversial. i loved that type of democrat - i miss them a lot.

13. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 25 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]429811[/snapback]</div>
    You're ignoring the fact that Obama's part had a house on it, while the other part was bare property...

As for any apparent connection, i think the others have done plenty to debunk your attacks.

14. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 25 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]429811[/snapback]</div>

Under the covers????? You call two days of front-page Chicago Sun-Times stories under the covers???!!!

Sure let's investigate Rezko. Starting with the deals he got from Republican governor Jim Edgar. If you've read the stories, it doesn't sound like there was an Illinois politician Rezko didn't give money to.

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    SHOW ME THE DEBUNKING!!!!

The gauntlet had been thrown down.

SHOW ME THE DEBUNKING!!!!

- "so they're repeating the stuff that was debunked so recently, in hopes that they may catch some newborns with it."
    - "As for any apparent connection, i think the others have done plenty to debunk your attacks."
    - "Sure let's investigate Rezko. Starting with the deals he got from Republican governor Jim Edgar."

Sorry, there is no "de" in that bunk.

SHOW ME THE DEBUNKING!!!!! <_<

can't, can you. :p

16. MegansPrius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 25 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]430061[/snapback]</div>

We discussed it before in this thread:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=362368
    Really. All ya needed to do was hit search and type in Rezko.

You can read Obama's complete response to reporters regarding his home purchase at:
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/1241...obama05.article

17. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 25 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]429811[/snapback]</div>
    Anybody that looks at just the final numbers of a real estate deal and not the fine details (which, admittedly, may not be available to the public) and thinks they know what happened reveals that they know nothing about such deals. And that's okay, unless you do this for a living, you probably wouldn't; but you might want to consider that you may not be in possession of all the details, and therefore a conclusion drawn from it might be suspect.

18. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Apr 25 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]430081[/snapback]</div>
    Ha. SPE got pwn'd.

Guilt by association has no legal standing. This is no bigger deal than multiple situations previous presidents (Rep and Dem) have been involved in, including the current one. He did the right thing by answering the questions and giving details (not saying the records have been lost, can't recall, etc.) As mentioned, this all came up last year and was covered by the papers back then.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd vote for him - not much experience on the national level. This event will have nothing to do with my decision, however. Depends on what the other candidates are like.

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Apr 25 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]430126[/snapback]</div>
    pwn'd? Hardly! :rolleyes:
    What we have here as "proof" is a one sided (Obama) attempt to cover nice person.

Q: Why did you not publicly disclose the transaction after Rezko got indicted?

A: At the time, it didn't strike me as relevant. I did however donate campaign contributions from Rezko to charity.

Not relevant? TO WHAT? Corrupt politics slime levels?

True, 'guilt by association' has no legal standing, but Obama's explanation hardly removes the stench of why the WIFE of a well known political influence purchaser bought property next door, on the exact same day, and then sold some of that property to an up-and-coming politician.

20. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Apr 25 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]430172[/snapback]</div>
    I think you may be reading too much into this.

Give your lips a rest.