1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Analysis from 2015 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by amarino, Mar 22, 2024.

1. amarino

amarino Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Car is a 2015 Prius Two. I bought it new in November 2015. At first I was doing oil changes at the 10k mile interval, but more recently switched to every 5k miles. Some other maintenance highlights:

Did my 85k oil change last month and just got the analysis back.
    15-Prius-oil-85k.png

Oil catch can was about half full:
    PXL_20240216_005853471.jpg PXL_20240216_005921180.jpg

Here is an album of all the previous oil analysis reports: amarino - '15 Two - Oil Change Reports | PriusChat

Instead of making a new thread each time I will plan to keep updating this one.

#1 amarino, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So when you have this cash can what happens to the catch space on side of the block I think the PCV valve or something goes in it or there's a like a cath can built into the block isn't there not?. And what are your updated oil analysis showing that there's a lot more or less of what and who or is it changing much at all or are you seeing any great improvements by changing from the 10,000 to the $5,000 mile interval we've always done the 10 and everything basically had no problems with oil even when our engines blew up our oil was beautiful No problem looks just like it's supposed to smells like it too. I'm smelling more gas than ever in my oil no matter the change interval well unless I change it yesterday. So I'm wondering if fuel injectors are really a thing these days maybe they just leak or spray too much or what have you spray erratically who knows!.

3. amarino

amarino Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry your big run on paragraph is hard to read but I'll do my best.
    • The oil catch can is installed after the PCV valve. So it goes out of the PCV valve, into the oil catch can, then out of the oil catch can to the intake manifold. Nothing changes with the block. Here is a pic of how I have it installed on the starter blank panel under the intake.
      • PXL_20210626_200502375.jpg
    • The only big change is when I switched from Mobil1 to Motul Hybrid 0w-20 oil, the Molybdenum is much higher. A good use for this is having a baseline before my engine develops the usual issues of coolant leak or burning oil, I can catch it sooner. For example you may see coolant in the oil before it gets bad enough to run rough. Or if the cylinder walls are starting to wear down you would see high levels of those metals before it starts burning oil.
    • You mention the gas smell, and they did mention a trace of fuel in the oil (lower flashpoint). I also had a similar thing at the 63k oil change. Not sure what is going on but something to keep an eye on.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Apparently these later model injectors tend to drip or run on or let fuel fall out whatever the heck goes on and apparently it happens fairly early on around 150 160,000 mi. I've got one at close to 300 and the other one at 214. And of course both of them are having quite a bit of fun issues.

amarino likes this.