1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil and cabin filter avalibuilty

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gen 2 Tom, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I stop in Advanced auto, looking for an oil filter. They said there is a Fram, but nothing else. I use Mobil One or Pure One. Has anyone found filters yet?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I normally do the cabin-filter, and the air-filter (ICE) myself, and get both from the local Autoparts store (~$15 each) and leave the dealer to change the oil and oil-filter as part of the 5k mile service.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I understand the oil filter is per gen 3; dealerships are sure to have them.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything on line?

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could just order 3rd gen filter. I do order a lot of stuff online, but can't see the point for items like this, readily available locally.

6. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Oh, is a Gen3 Prius the same cartridge type as the Gen 4? I'll stop in Toyota and compare the two part numbers, and report back. I had a Gen 2 which was a screw on filter.

I do my own oil changes and filters. My Gen 2 that's all I did for 200K. Many times the dealers and other car repair try to make a oil change into a $500 visit.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're used to changing oil on a Gen 1 or Gen 2, Gen 3 is going to make you cuss.

First vehicle I've owned that needs to be raised to change the wretched oil. Having a garage floor with a pit would be ideal.

-Chap

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 81 civic, you just popped the hood and reached in from above to unscrew it. No fun.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My '88 Mazda you could change the filter from above, as long as the last person who put it on was you, observing proper torque. It was on the side of the engine right against the firewall, in a place where you could look at it or touch it, but not at the same time. Get a tool on it? Sure....

For the first oil change I did myself, since the last person to tighten it wasn't me, I found there was just enough room there to drive a screwdriver through it to use as a handle. Definite feeling of relief when that worked.

-Chap

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The first time I loosened the oil filter, it'd been torqued at factory, likely to spec (18 ft/lb). It took moderate effort to break it loose. I continue to use that value, never any drama.

One thing that's funny: there's a lot of mention of the little retaining clip on the side of the filter housing, that it's a big issue, you need 3 hands to get the housing off. I haven't found it does a thing, forget it's even there. It certainly does nothing when you're unscrewing the housing.

I'd suspect it was concession to lawyers, due to the bare filter in the plastic housing, the O-ring on the housing, or whatever.

11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same on my '81 Mazda, plus you also could easily remove the drain plug by reaching down from above. No crawling underneath required, and no chance of hot oil running down your arm.

12. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update, I stopped at the dealer today. They confirmed the 2016 Prius oil cartage filter is the same as the filter used in the Gen 3 the last few years. Toyota 04152-YZZA6. it was $5.75. The filter books at auto stores didn't have 2016 yet.

I use small ramps to get my gen 2 off the ground enough to slide under it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.