1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil based rust protection not recommanded by Toyota Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Philosophe, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While talking with the dealer, I was told that it is not recommended to apply annually oil based rust protection to the underside of the car, the reason being that it would make the orange high voltage cables/parts difficult to see for emergency services.

I've contacted Toyota Canada to confirm this. The answer I got is (in french, my translation bellow):

My free translation:

I am still waiting for an answer from Antirouille Métropolitain, the biggest oil based rust protection company in Québec (the company is a spin off from an industrial research center that invented this product), to learn what their position is in regard with this issue...

I thought this would be useful to know for the Canadians and others who usually protect their investment with this kind of product.

I'll post more info when I get an answer from Antirouille Métropolitain.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There are products that are designed to be safe with plastics/rubber material. Otherwise, some products can actually eat up suspension bushings, cv boots, etc

I've used Rust Check in the past

Rust Check brand name, protect vehicles appearance, proofing companies, manufactures rust preventatives, manufacturer of coatings, manufacturer of rust paints, manufacturer of lubricants and auto repair industry

and it works well, but the big "if" depends on the skill/experience of the person applying the stuff. I'd much rather get a pail of it and apply myself

It does work. I have an early 80's Ford pickup with ZERO rust, looks new underneath. Purchased new by my folks, who always had it treated by Rust Check.

Currently in the paintshop, the paint was pretty faded and scratched. The bodyshop is amazed at how solid the vehicle is.

The HV calbles are pretty easy to spot underneath. If you decide to keep the car a long time - to justify rust proofing it - it wouldn't hurt to use a rag to wipe clean the cables after an application.

Another option is to instruct the person applying the product, to put painters masking tape over the cables, to protect the cables from overspray

4. Philosophe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally went with the permanent rust protection offered by the dealership and got it for CAN$450. The warranty seems to be the same and I will save at least CAN$150 during the life of the car and avoid any issue with Toyota with oil based protection.

Still no word from Antirouille Métropolitain...

5. Philosophe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received an answer from Antirouille Métropolitain this morning (my free translation is bellow):
    My translation:
    Hum... Still unsure if I did a good thing choosing the dealership treatment, knowing that when part of its seal is broken, there is no annual additional coating to help... :confused: Time will tell... See you in 10 years!

[EDIT: I finally cancelled the dealership protection and will go with my usual oil based rust protection. It will cost a bit more but I'll be sure that the damaged coating after years keep beeing reapplied each year.

6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It sounds like Rust Check and Krown are similar products

8. Zorro-la-binette

Zorro-la-binette New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [EDIT: I finally cancelled the dealership protection and will go with my usual oil based rust protection. It will cost a bit more but I'll be sure that the damaged coating after years keep beeing reapplied each year.[/quote]

I agree with you.

My dealer told me that they can put on a rust protection oil based treatment BUT they will not waranty it...because they are not allowed to treat the floor! If find that a bit silly...applying a rust protection everywhere except where it usually start!

I'm not buying that!

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh boy ....

:tsk: