1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil burning in prius C like gen 2?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by k1ngn0thing, Oct 15, 2023.

1. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at one for sale with ~150k, and based on service history it appears most oil changes were around 10k, sometimes 15-20k, assuming no off-record oil changes. Can I expect this thing to be burning oil already? I think this vehicle might've also done a lot of city miles. Are they as harsh on prius c as other models?

#1 k1ngn0thing, Oct 15, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2023
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's not proper data, but we haven't been reading much about oil burning in the c. Not zero, but not that many reports. Yet to burn a drop in ours, now approaching 80k miles.

I've never thought that there was a problem with 10k oil changes in a car whose engine only runs for some of those miles, but everyone has their own comfort zone on that topic.

If there's an expensive thing to be looking out for, it's the traction battery. The warranty is only 8 years on those vs. 10 for the big-body Prius. The way I read that, Toyota does not expect them to not last as long, and we've seen reports here to support that.

If the battery cooling fan under the left rear seat is found to be clean, then that car's battery will probably last longer than one found to be clogged with hair and dust.

k1ngn0thing likes this.
  3. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    the car's listed for about 2k cheaper than it should be, something's telling me it's burning oil. granted the car is a little lighter than gen 2, but as I understand it, it's the same engine, and most of those oil burners are due to 10k interval oil changes. it's possible the battery is weak, which I can live with and check with OBD and use to negotiate a better price, but are there any reliable ways to check for oil burning, apart from hiring a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection? obviously they're not going to let me look at the spark plugs. I've heard to check under the oil cap for gunk, and the tailpipe for soot.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The engine is not identical to the 2nd generation. Very similar, and they interchange fairly well but there are a few little differences.

One of the harder-to-notice differences is that the 2nd generation liftback models were on the street in 2004 and the service spec was to use API SL 5W-30 motor oil.

The Prius c was introduced for 2012, with a spec for synthetic 0W-20.

Synthetics tend to lubricate better than regular petroleum, so factor that into your consideration. Again, this isn't hard data but I believe it is a strong contributing factor to the overall better results achieved with that 1.5L engine in the c model vs. the big-body.

If I were shopping today, I'd expect that any 2012-2014 c model is ready for a new traction battery, or will be soon enough that I would budget for it right up front.