1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Burning Prius...Common Factors?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, Dec 31, 2015.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agggh! My Prius burning oil, what to do now? | PriusChat

This thread got me thinking.

The issue of the Prius burning oil isn't wide-spread or it would be a notorious issue when trying to sell the car. Of those people who have this issue, are there any common factors among them that might explain why it happened to them and not to most all other Prius owners?

2. viscositosis tribocessive

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Piston ring coking.
    Down with TGMO.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there might be, but without a roundup of a statistically relevant quantity of owners, it's impossible to know. and many owners are second hand.

mrstop likes this.
  4. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not to turn this into a BITOG, TGMO flame war, but my 2010 is perfect on nothing but TGMO at 5k intervals since day 1. Oil level on the stick doesn't budge the entire interval and the car is just a tick under 120k miles. Being in tune with the potential for issues with these engines has made it so I'm scared to try another 0w-20! I know this is irrational as all the full syn 0w-20's are known (or thought to be) quality oils. Don't you think TGMO is at least in line with M1 AFE, or does the propping up of the V.I. turn you off?

Toyota has had oil burning issues, even if isolated, with the straight-4, Z-FE engines since the late 90's at least. I generalize here because they are all somewhat closely related, many sharing the same bottom end. I'm guessing top ends share similar design theory across the line, even with the simulated atkinsons. It's easy to find documented Corolla tear downs with ring coking AND clogged piston return holes but many of these date back to pre-TGMO. Even the gen 2 Prius was spec'd 5w30 conventional and I think they mostly all tend to burn as they age.

Anyway, I'm thinking the issue has more to do with hot running and/or somewhat oil starved top ends doing a bit too long, or too severe of an interval vs. quality of the oil. freindly_jacek's survey doesn't really support this theory but a Priuschat survey doesn't likely represent much of cross section of typical owners, either. I won't do a 10k OCI on these engines or the MZ-FE V-6's, even with an extended drain synthetic. I also fear unscrupulous dealers, quickie lubes and independents dumping whatever weight conventional in them and oblivious owners tooling around for 10k miles, let alone 5k... I feel these engines lean toward 5k syn and only syn, 3k conventional OCI's for Gen 2 with 5k syn being a better call, regardless of what Toyota, and the industry in general are spec'ing. For those that don't change their own oil and are getting away with 10k OCI's without burn issues, I'd guess they are getting a synthetic oil and/or the burning hasn't taken hold yet.

As an additional note, my '07 (160k miles) burns 16-20 oz.'s BC (GC) 0w-30 at 5k OCI.

For the non-BITOGer's :

BITOG = Bob is the Oil Guy

TGMO = Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, 0w-20 specifically, blended to Toyota spec by Mobil 1 in the U.S. Viewed as similar to Mobil 1 AFE but with a very high viscosity index. At a time very popular with the BITOGer's but has fallen out of favor for whatever reasons...

BC (GC) 0w-30 = Castrol Edge Syntec Euro spec, long time blended in Germany, recently moved to Belgium. Another BITOG favorite which has also faded from the limelight.

V.I. = viscosity index

OCI = oil change interval

#4 m.wynn, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Zaza 13, orenji and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You make an EXCELLENT observation there. I DO NOT trust "quick lube" shops. Most might be honest and reliable, but it takes ONE bad oil change to damage your motor long-term. The oil the Prius calls for really requires nothing less than the correct spec full-synthetic...especially if you're going to have a 10K OCI. If you want to go with cheaper oil, don't go for extended drain intervals....period.

I'm doing 10K OCI, but I'm buying the AMSOIL XL line, and I've had excellent results with AMSOIL in all my vehicles since the day I started buying it. For what a car costs to buy (or fix), the extra $$$ is cheap insurance. Hell, I had a catastrophic coolant loss on my motorcycle during a trip. Had to go a fair distance with almost no coolant in it. Granted, the bike's designed to handle a lot of heat with no coolant, but knowing I had a high-quality lubricant protecting the motor eased my concerns about something bad happening from trying to ride on to the nearest auto parts store.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think many Prius cars burn oil but not enough owners actually check to find out if they do or not. I would say there's probably a higher percentage that burns oil vs. ones that don't. Many factors contribute to that and nobody has been able to pinpoint the main reason(s).

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @m.wynn , thanks for clarifying all the damn acronyms. I hate it when everyone starts talking another language, lol.

I've used nothing but Toyota OW-20, changing it at 8000 km or 6 month intervals. Currently a mere 60,000~ km on the odometer, no apparent consumption between oil changes. Kind of eerie actually, all our Honda's would consume somewhere between a cup and a pint, between changes.

m.wynn likes this.
  8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And that's giving the quick lubes the benefit of the doubt. I guess I rate the dealers and independents a step up from the quickies, but really cringe at the thought of anyone aside from myself selecting and changing my oil. Places get busted for not changing at all. Imagine these engines (or any engines) going 20k, or more, on some bulk conventional... Blame it on my OCD, baby!

OCD = obsessive compulsive disorder

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. viscositosis tribocessive

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK. The cause is viscosity index improvers(VII).

I am the Sustina pioneer. Sustina (HTHS 2.60) has much lower VII dosage, and superior overall design than Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (HTHS 2.62).

Current fill is Ravenol 0W16 (HTHS 2.4). 40k miles total have been driven, with oil change intervals extended beyond 10k miles.

From now on, it will probably be overkill. Mobil 1 EP 0W20 (HTHS 2.7) with oil change intervals less than 10k miles.

My thinking is to use highest quality, even thickish 0W20 motor oils. Know the design and thickness of your motor oil !!

HTHS=high temperature high shear. Higher is thicker.

#10 viscositosis tribocessive, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Another possible factor? The 3rd gen has a somewhat unorthodox oil filter, where just the element is changed. That means less material to deal with, easier to recycle. On the other hand, it's also more prone to neglect. It is way too easy to forget to put a new filter in; I've caught myself about to spin it back on sans filter, twice. If it's pros changing your oil, it's impossible to verify the filter was changed, or forgotten.

Zaza 13 and bisco like this.
  11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Failure on the part of owners to properly maintain.

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very possible.

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll guess that's encouraged by habitually pushing the engine hard --- as in sustained high speed, climbing long mountain grades fast, etc. Right?

orenji likes this.
  14. viscositosis tribocessive

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed. That would have to be a factor.

#15 viscositosis tribocessive, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's called severe duty cycle and even Toyota's minimum recommendation says change before 10K miles under those circumstances...if one is a minimalist that is. Toyota's 1.5 and 1.8 liter engines are proven in more than just the Prius with no know issues.

I repeat...Failure on the part of owners to properly maintain.

16. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Would oil change every 6K be neglect? That's what I've been doing.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What does your Owner's Manual say? Where in the world are you? Italy?

Keep in mind too: the interval is distance or time, whichever comes first.

18. PRIUS STAR SHIP

PRIUS STAR SHIP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've heard that changing the PCV valve helps resolve the burning oil issue, but its also important to maintain 5K oil changes (I don't trust those 10K oil intervals).
    I've been trusting my vehicle with Kendall Motor Oil with Liquid Titanium 0W-20.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Failure to monitor level and usage also is neglect. Don't tale it personal, but people in general now days just don't tend to their vehicles like years past. Whether it's because you HAD TO back then or because people just have not been taught car skills makes no difference...complacency, apathy and blind trust still bite just as hard.