1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change 3.5 quarts = just right

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Celtic Blue, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did the 1,000 mile "free" oil change today, brought in 4 quarts of Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic. Explained to the dealer service rep I wanted only 3.5 quarts of oil fill and that I would check it when the work was done. The rep had no problem with this and noted it on the work order.

The change was done, and half a quart remained in the container. The tech and I checked the oil together when he was done and it was exactly where I predicted based on others' posts here, about 1/4" below the full mark. I smiled, explained to the young tech the reasoning, thanked them both and went on my way.

Bottom line: 3.5 quarts will get you near the full mark without overfilling. Toyota had shipped with an extra 1/4" of oil. Their fill guidelines for completely dry engine, and for refill after oil and filter change are about 0.25 quarts too much

p.s. Also explained I was running 42/40, and not to adjust tires.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, I agree 3.5 qts is just about right. On my car, 3.7 takes the level to the full mark.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even 3.0 quarts is fine. It leaves the level halfway between ADD and FULL.