1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change: 5k or 10k ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Superdrol, May 17, 2010.

1. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car is beeping that an oil change is needed soon (5,000 miles), but I think the manual says 10,000 ? What's the right approach ? Also this is my first time changing the oil on the prius, is there something that will need to be disabled after 5,000 mile oil change ?

My Corolla has an engine maintenance light that came on every 5,000 that needed to be disabled. Thanks.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    5,000 is first change. Next intervals should be 10,000. If the car needs updating they should do it at the oil change.

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    First oil service is now @ 10K miles (used to be 5K miles), although there's still a recommended 5K service (rotate tires, inspect brakes, etc.).

Even though the oil service interval was increased to 10K, the warning still remains (presumably for the non oil service 5K service).

4. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So there will be a warning, but nothing needs to be reset then till 10k ? My Corolla had to have the check engine light reset every oil change.

5. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    stream is right - its for other service stuff besides the oil change ... anyhoo you can reset the service indicator when you do the oil change ...

6. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Visit POOKA's newly created thread, " Who the @%$# Designed the Dipstick " and his experience with metal in the new Prius's oil, and what he would now suggest about changing the oil.:eek:

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Factory recommendation for first oil change is now 10k miles, but it's really up to you if you want to change the oil now (then again at 15k, 25k and so on) or follow the factory recommendation religiously.

You don't really need to take it in for the non oil 5k service, if you elect to rotate the tires every 10k instead of 5k. See http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...tting-oil-maintenance-required-indicator.html for how to reset the service indicator.