1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change Access Door

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by regombos, Jan 31, 2011.

1. regombos

regombos New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 IV Prius & I change my own oil every 5k miles. After my 4th oil change, the access door fell off due to bending it along the plastic crease intended to be a hinge. Toyota initially refused to replace it claiming I did not know what I was doing. But after constant yelling, they finally replaced it under the condition they would only do it once. Now after paying Toyota to change my oil (4 oil changes later) the access door fell off again for the same reason - full length crack along the creased hinge. If the change frequency moved from every 5k miles to every 10k, your car will be out of warranty and it is an $800 cost.

1 person likes this.
  2. regombos

regombos New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After 3 oil changes check the oil change access door to look for cracked hinge. Toyota claims this is an unknown problem and isolated to my situation... I don't think so. After this happened to me twice, I see it happening to everyone. You just need to be familiar with the underside of your Prius.

3. regombos

regombos New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If this oil change access door is designed to be there, make them replace it if missing. Poor design, no question about it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i took mine off completely and replaced it with an aluminum model made on a cnc machine at a local shop. door is hinged and has a locking cover to keep people from stealing my oil. all this for under a hundred bucks and well woth it!;)

Silver Pine Mica and dbennett like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Haven't got to first oil change, but I raised it once for a dry run. I pulled out the 3 fasteners on that access flap, expecting it to flop down, but nothing happened. I finally pried it down enough to have a look, and was suprised at the effort needed. It seemed like the whole panel was flexing quite a bit before it started bending at the "hinge" point.

If it's breaking off, I suppose you could sandwich the joint strip of some sort of tarp material on both sides, and pop-rivet it together, producing a flexible joint. Pretty funky to have to deal with this though.

6. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just did my fourth oil change, and I noticed that the "hinge" is tearing. I can foresee the need for some kind of legitimate hinge when the thin plastic seam gives out. I've seen some plastic hinges on the 'Net, I'll have to track them down again.

1 person likes this.
  7. markf57

markf57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $800 bucks for a piece of plastic? That sounds steep!

8. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If this is truly the case, we need to push for a TSB of some sort. This is un acceptable.

9. RufusNapkin

RufusNapkin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you give some detailed information about how it was done or by what kind of a shop (what to look for)?

Thanks.

10. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    my door is gone too....but it DOES make it much easier to change the oil :D

Silver Pine Mica and prius808 like this.
  11. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do we need the door? What is the purpose of the door? fuel economy? Will our gas milage decrease that much? :confused:

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keeps the road junk out of there, specially in winter. perhaps a bit of aerodynamics. absolutely necessary? absolutely not.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, $800 for that panel sounds insane...

When I first looked at the underbody panels, just reaching under and giving them a tap, I was almost convinced they were metal: it is definitely thinner and harder plastic than Honda uses on their Civic Hybrid.

I picked up a rubber utility mat and cut chunks of it for various app's, guess a replacement flap could be made out something like that: cut the same outline as the flap, put holes for the push-thru pins in the same places, and leave it an inch long at the hinge location. Assemble with the push-thru pins to orient it, then pop-rivet to the remainder of the underbody panel at the hinge point.

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I plan to drill a couple of holes each side of the seam and run zip-ties through leaving enough slack so the door can still fold down.

1 person likes this.
  15. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup ! zip-ties as hinges ! even ferraris on track days survive on zip-ties !

16. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good idea spiderman! I'll be doing the same. Thanks!

17. IMUSA76

IMUSA76 IMUSA76

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I Just went to our dealer this morning, the door constanly was falling after the last oil change (4th one), thats what they did, added Zip ties to hold the door in place.

the mechanic said "the plastic clips keep breaking off, the weight of the ice and snow build up on the door, pops the door open"

This is a Poor design.:mad: this should be redesigned.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    More likely each flex of the hinge point fatigues the plastic. The plastic used seems to be too brittle. Was this not a problem with earlier generations? Maybe they switched to harder plastic with third generation?

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This whole under engine cover is an idea new to the Gen3, the gen2 had no cover therefore no door to fall off.

I had the four under body covers removed last year looking for rattles and I did some mileage tests with them on and off. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...5-mileage-test-under-body-covers-removed.html

If removing those four large covers made no difference in mileage I can't imagine the oil change door would matter. But it does keep dirt out so when mine falls off I will probably rig up something like Spiderman mentioned.

TsKarma and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been thinking of something like this:

5D_054-005.jpg

A couple of strips cut out of rubber mat would substitute for the paper, pop-rivets for the staples, a nylon rod (or section of vacuum tube?) for the pin. A thin layer of silicone dielectric compound on the pin would likely help.

I wouldn't do something like this until the door is actually breaking off, and try to flex it as little as possible in the interm.

TsKarma likes this.