1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change at 1k miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EmptyG, Jul 18, 2006.

1. EmptyG

EmptyG New Member

Hi all :)

My new Prius just passed 1K miles - and I read some people say they get their oil changed at 1,000 miles. Is this a common thing?

The guide says to wait until 5,000 miles before I go in (and yes I will be using synthetic).

Any thoughts on this?

thanks! :)

2. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EmptyG @ Jul 18 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]288278[/snapback]</div>
    IMHO I would wait until 5,000 miles; we took ours in for the free 1,000 mile oil change at our former dealer -

they insisted on using 10W40 for the oil change; we talked them out of that

they overfilled the car with 4 quarts of 5W30

they removed an average of 8 lbs. of pressure out of each of our tires and gas mileage plummeted

Bless their hearts, they won't be seeing us again, ever.

I can't think of any logical reason to change oil at 1,000 miles and I would think that the people who designed and built the car probably know the best maintenance schedule.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The idea behind an early first oil change is to flush out the extra metal bits resulting from the initial high-wearing break-in period. Manufacturing and tolerances have changed to the point where it's not as beneficial as it once was, nor as common. Still, there's no harm in doing so, aside from using more oil.

4. EmptyG

EmptyG New Member

Thanks for the replies :) I think I will go ahead and wait until 5k (save some $$$ and gas).

:)

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EmptyG @ Jul 18 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]288324[/snapback]</div>
    I did mine at 1000 miles and I would recomend it for any new ICE!

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I see no reason to do it that early.

I had them use their dino oil for the 5,000 and 10,000 oil changes. Starting with the next one, they'll be using my Mobil 1 synthetic.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This probably boils down to personal preference, however...

The few initial Prius engine oil changes that have been chemically analyzed and posted to the internet so far show elevated copper and silicon. By elevated I mean levels that are not seen in later oil analyses, not that they are levels that cause the oil analysts to react with alarm. But some people will wish to get that first oil out 'ahead of schedule'.

If Toyota felt that that an early first oil change would reduce the amount of warranty work on the car, I suppose that they would specify it. On the other hand, whether an early first oil change might extend engine life 'post warranty' is simply not known for the Prius.

It will certainly cost a bit more money and add another gallon of used engine oil to the waste/recycle stream.

So it's your call, but whichever way you choose, please consider getting the first oil change analyzed. We'd love to see the results.

8. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 18 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]288302[/snapback]</div>
    Right on. I did mine at 2,500 with full synthetic. No harm except to your wallet. The initial oil will last you into the 5000 miles without a problem so changing it early is only affecting your wallet. I'm a synthetic fan so i have no regrets about it. My previous cars ran like champs with synthetics!

Yes, this is a very biased post. :)

9. Blackfang

Blackfang New Member

There is no need to change the oil at 1,000 miles.

To the guy where they overfilled the oil, I would hope you caught this early, as the oil level has to be pretty much exact on these cars or it can set the check engine light off.

10. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only reason I would change it at 1,000 miles (and I did) is to change over to synthetic oil. It is better for the engine and your mileage will increase a bit.

also I am putting 42 pounds of pressure in front tires and 40 in the rear. and instructing the shop to only add 3.5 quarts of oil when I change it. 4 quarts is too much and effects mileage.

11. theorist

theorist Member

If your gas mileage rose from 50 to 52 mpg over the 4,000 miles before the recommended oil change, you would save 3 gallons of gasoline. I'm not sure of the environmental impacts, but I believe a synthetic oil change (times 0.8 = 4000/5000) costs more than 3 gallons of gas.

Still, I changed to quasi-synthetic group III oil (Walmart's $2.60/qt Supertech "Full Synthetic") at 3,000 miles. I did it more to flush out early break-in wear metals and to hopefully increase engine longevity. Ultimately, I just didn't like the metalic residue on the dipstick.

12. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the seals, rings, valves are not seated by the end of 1000 miles then there is a problem. From my experience with many different gasoline engines, the very best way to "break in" a street engine is to vary the rpms as much as possible for the first thousand miles using conventional oil. I know that many new cars now come with synthetic, but the varying of rpms is very important to avoid any initial wear patterns during the period when there is a reasonable probability of particulates circulating throughout the engine.

At 1000 miles I would recommend shanging the oil and if you so choose, switching to a good brand synthetic. Whatever brand you use, I also recommend staying with the same brand oil for an extended period of time. I am not a great fan of the "oil of the day" and instead stay with the valvolines, havolines, and castrols of the world as they are easier to find in more places and will likely be around for a long time.

The oil can never be too clean in regards to engine longevity and performance (both in terms of economy and power).

13. Blackfang

Blackfang New Member

They offer it at 1k so when the 5,000 miles come they can charge you a full service, not a free oil change.

14. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, I know this is an old thread, but ...

Tonight I pulled about 9oz of oil from our new Prius @ 360 miles, because the dealer had overfilled it upon delivery (didn't look until I got home.) Anyway, I've read in several threads how people report bits of metal in the oil when the car is brand new, and I have sided with those who say "hogwash."

Until now. When I dumped out the third little Mityvac container of oil I'd pulled from the bottom of the sump, there were definitely small flakes in there! The oil had a grey tint to it. Now, these weren't chunks or shavings or any kind, but looked a lot like fine aluminum powder if you've ever seen it. I always thought the oil filter would catch things like that, but apparently not.

Anyway, I will definitely be joining the ranks of those who do their first oil change @ 1000 miles! In fact, I'd do it sooner but my oil filter order hasn't arrived yet. This might be overkill, but I don't mind babying the car if it will give me peace of mind.

15. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too changed the oil on my new 06 at 1000 miles and I also found a lot of shiny fine particles contained with in the old oil. I can't say it was steel, they were not attracted to a strong magnet but maybe aluminum. Could the grey be anti sieze compound used during assembly? I also found that even though I used a toyota filter from the dealer for the change it was different from the factory new filter. I called to ask about this and the dealer said that all factory filters are different from the replacment filters so dealers, at a glance, can tell if the factory fill oil has ever been changed.

I have built and rebuilt many engines in my years a certified Volvo mechanic. I always run dino oil for 500 miles on a new engine and change that and run dino oil for 15,000 miles or more before switching to synthetic. And while I agree that under normal conditions most engines are broken in by 1000 miles some engines need some heavy duty towing or hard work before they are fully seated. My Cummins diesel for example, obtained only 17 miles per gallon of fuel until at 15,000 miles, I hooked up a 15,000 lb 5th wheel trailer and towed that up 80 to Tahoe and back. It's an 8,000 foot climb and at 65 or 70 miles per hour with as much as 10 % grades in spots. 450 miles round trip. After that tow, my truck averaged almost 20 miles to the gallon. Showing me that it took that hard pull to fully seat the rings even after 15,000 miles.

The debate on dino vs synthetic is long and so full of opinions but I have always found that no matter how careful you are, there is a break in period and it will sluff metal particles until fully seated. The only way to get those out of a new engine is to change the oil early. Given my experience with my Cummins engine, I have extended the point at which you should switch to synthetic from 10,000 to 15,000 miles on a normal gas engine and longer with a diesel. The engine RPM must be varied during break in but I also recomend throwing 7 bags of sand in the trunk and going for a long drive up a grade to seat the rings and seat the valves properly otherwise you may never completely seat and break in a new engine.
    -Paul R. Haller-

16. tnymntna

tnymntna New Member

Well, my dealership gives a free oil change @ 1000 miles to every new car sold at there dealership. So I will definatly get my oil changes @ 1000 miles!

17. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My dealer recommends every 3000 miles, so I am planning on that. Does the dealer offer synthetic oil, or is that something I need to buy and take with me when I have that done?

Thanks!!

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spideyman @ May 9 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]438480[/snapback]</div>
    The dealer is recommending 3000 miles so they see you twice as often to spend twice as much. If you search through the other oil change threads you will find that the concensus here is that even 5000 miles is too often especially if you are using synthetic oil. Galaxee posted a maintenance schedule that I recommend.

19. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spideyman @ May 9 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]438480[/snapback]</div>
    I would not trust a dealership to over rule what the manufacture set. Dealerships make more money on parts and service than new car sales. So as JimN already stated, profit is the reason a dealership uses 3000 miles.

The days of the 3000 mile oil change are over. Modern engines and oils are much better than the early 1960's. The only thing this practice does for you now is empty your wallet sooner. In 1987 I purchased a V6 engined 4x4. I changed the oil every 7000 miles and it was NOT synthetic oil. That truck had 163,000 miles before I sold it and guess what....never once did I have an engine oil related malfunction. If 7000 or even 5000 miles is to much for you because you fear a dirty oil filter, then just change out the oil filter. But replacing good oil is such a waste and really defeats the point of the Prius.

20. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ May 9 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]438906[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. My dealer and everyone else who changes my oil puts a sticker on the window indicating the next oil change in 3000 miles. But when I ask the service manager at the dealership, he/she says 5000 miles.

Dave M.