1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change at chain outlets

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pepa, Jan 15, 2005.

1. pepa

pepa New Member

Due to all the horror stories here and elsewhere about the Toyota dealership Prius scheduled maintenance, I've decided not to go there. Rather, I'd like to take Prius to one of these oil change chains, such as Lube Pros, or Jiffy ...

Does Prius have special oil filter - different from the standard ones? If so - do you know if any of these chains carry it?

Also - what are your overall experiences, as a Prius owner, with these chains? Are these mechanics knowledgeable enough to do the job right?

Thanks.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As Frank Hudon suggested in the Overfill topic, slowly add fresh oil and leave the dipstick out until done. Hopefully you can find generic oil filters from the major chains.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those problems have always existed. Prius simply raises awareness.

But now that you know, the info that the oil filter is just an ordinary one used on other non-hybrids from Toyota should be reassuring. So chains should carry it.

4. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Personally, I'd rather take mine to the dealer rather than an oil change place. And I'd rather change it myself than take it to the dealer.

5. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie\";p=\"63773)</div>
    No kidding! These guys acting out of fear based upon Toyota Service "horror stories" must not pay attention to the horror stories of the quick change oil joints!

I take mine, and my chances, to the local Toyota dealer. It costs the same but takes about 15 minutes longer; but I got Toyota branded oil, a Toyota filter, a car wash, and free coffee.

6. JShorr

JShorr Junior Member

For those of you who have succesfully helped an oil change (toyota or otherwise) establishment change your oil... could you give me a sort of "script"

in other words: "you need to use X oil. Pour X amount in, wait X minutes, then pour X amount more... etc etc"

Any thoughts?

7. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) JShorr,

Evertime I have had my Prius serviced it has been at Performance Toyota here in Omaha. The Prius tech. is the only one, that I have seen servicing any of the priuses. I have never found my oil to be overfilled. So no script is needed.

Ben

8. JShorr

JShorr Junior Member

Unfortunately I had to drive over an hour to purchase my prius -- and that kind of distance isn't really feasible for a normal oil change (I'll probably make the drive for the "big" inspections).

So, I think I better be prepaired with a "script"...

Anyone else?

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Most of the quick lube places carry genuine make oil filters be it GM, Ford, or Toyota. Stop in and talk to the manager, if you have to, make an appt and ask him to have a genuine Toyota filter in stock for the day you arrive. These are buisness people and if you tell them, if the job they do is right you'll be back for your regular oil changes. You will probably pay a bit more for genuine but if it matters to you do it. Driving 40-60 miles for an oil change, I sure wouldn't do it. Give the local guy a chance, take your owner's manual along in case the data for the Prius isn't in their system. The part number for the genuine Toyota filter is: 90915-YZZA2 I don't have the part number off hand for the gasket for the drain plug. Check http://john1701a.com as he has it listed there.

10. JShorr

JShorr Junior Member

I appreciate the oil filter advise, but, I guess I'm more concerned about quantities...

I've read so many posts about people having trouble getting overfilles and, though less common, not enough oil.

I seem to remember someone posting that the proper thing to do is something like 'pour in three bottles of oil, wait 30 minutes then pour in an additional 1/2 bottle of oil'.

?

11. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tell them to make sure:
    1. Use the right filter
    2. Use 5w-30 Oil
    3. Add ONLY 3.5 qts. then check the dipstick after it sits for 5 mins.
    4. Air Pressure in the tires should be 42 front, 40 rear
    5. Be prepared to show them how to start the car LOL

Anybody else got any thing to add?????

12. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    3 quarts is all I ever need to put it in the middle of the range.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As Frank Hudon suggested, the biggest problem appears to be how quickly you pour the fresh oil in. So tell the qwik-lube place to SLOWLY add the oil and it should be fine.

Most of the major qwik-lube places are very good about stocking a wide variety of their own filters and also major brands.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use three quarts and you're done. There's no need to fiddle with fractional quarts or standing around waiting for a half hour (yeah, like the Quicky Loob is gonna do that anyway). One can deduce this from the owner's manual, and then prove it at the next oil change.

15. pepa

pepa New Member

Gentlemen,

thank you for all the advice, especially Frank Hudon for the info on the filter.

As per the oil chain as compared to Toyota dealership, I really see it as two risks to compare:

Chain outlet: what oil change guys can mess up is either add to little or to much oil (I'll bring my own 3 quarts of synthetic, thanks for the advice), wrong filter (I'll bring my own, thanks Frank) or wrong gasket (will find out soon enough). And I'll be standing there looking at the guys as they do it.

Toyota dealership: Repeatedly I have heard and read stories where folks took their Prius to dealership for scheduled maintenance and, among other problems, their MPG shot down to hell afterwards - only to be told by dealership that there is "nothing wrong with the car".

And so to me the choice is pretty simple.

16. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After 27,000 mi. my local Toyota dealer has never screwed up an oil change ( guess I'm lucky I have a good dealer). Hope i didn't jinx myself LOL

17. Ron Dupuy

Ron Dupuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My "maintenance needed" light blinked tonight. I imagine it is for an oil change since I have 4500 miles on my seaside. My question is do I need Toyota to reset it or will it reset itself like the odometer? Somebody please let me know because a service is obviously imminent, but toyota's $69 oil change is a little much.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Neither. You have to do it yourself. It's just a matter of toggling & holding the ODO button.

Download the "Changing Oil" document from my website. The instructions are there, along with lots of illustrations that will inform you want is actually done when oil is changed.

19. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I trust the dealership more than an oil-change chain. I'd rather have a trained Toyota mechanic changing my oil than a kid some chain hired off the street yesterday for minimum wage. (Though my dealership does not wash the car for me.)