1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change frequency

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CEguru, Oct 27, 2007.

1. CEguru

CEguru New Member

You could argue that the ICE in the Prius runs less than the ICE in a non-hybrid vehicle over the same number of miles measured on the odometer. Significantly less idyling and the miles traveled in EV mode means the Prius' motor would run "less" and cause less degredation of the engine oil compared to a ICE-only car over the same scheduled maintenance interval. So why do we change the ICE oil at 5k miles, roughly the same (or more frequently) than a lot of ICE vehicles?

I just watched "Who Killed The Electric Car" and the whole bit about how maintenance-free vehicles (like the EV1) are the dealers' worst nightmare. Got me thinking maybe Toyota is recommending we change the Prius oil more frequently than really necessary to protect their dealers' interests.

Thoughts?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because the engine stops and starts a lot, when an engine starts the oil works hardest. There is also more oportunity for the oil to be poluted by condensation. It's false economy to stretch out the oil changes beyond 6000 miles I think.

3. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CEguru @ Oct 27 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]531236[/snapback]</div>
    One thing that both GM and Honda have in their cars now is 'oil life monitors', which is essentially just what it sounds like. Both of those manufacturers (possibly more) recognize that not everyone drives the same, and some people need frequent oil changes, and others not so frequent.

It's an idea which I think all manufacturers should embrace.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 27 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]531262[/snapback]</div>
    Another factor is Toyota being litigation-averse. They are just putting the oil sludge debacle behind them and don't want to re-visit that little problem. Being accused of being conservative on maintenance intervals is something they feel they would rather deal with.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hot restarts aren't where the "oil problems" crop up. Condensation,
    dry cylinder walls, etc occur after a long sit.
    _H*

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Who says the Prius has the same interval as a non-hybrid? The anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder) had an interval of 6000 km, whereas the Prius has 8000 km. I see no conspiracy here.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do wish there were either some sort of oil sensor like GM's using or a simple Hobb's meter on the ICE.

Since some folks do mostly highway driving their ICE runs close to 90% of their driving. So every 5500 miles their ICE runs for 5000 miles.

For some of us my usually commute my ICE runs around 35% of the time. So I'd only need to change the oil every 15000 miles.

The wear and tear off the stop/start cycles is dramatically minimal in the Prius b/c the ICE is spun up to 1000rpm before ignition spark by MG1 and, as Hobbit points out the condensation isn't an issue with a hot ICE.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 27 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]531317[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, highway driving is less stressful than city driving. If you're a typical long commuter, your engine is generally going to stay at low revs in a high gear, which is less stress. I think that if you're doing a lot of low impact highway driving, most of the systems with oil sensors (GM/Honda) will usually recommend a change in the 8-13K range, depending on how you drive and the conditions you drive in.

City driving does the most stress to an engine, and it's what wears the oil out fastest. Granted the Prius's engine doesn't run as much, but the fact that it is spinning up and down is probably mitigating any gains.

9. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Oct 27 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]531262[/snapback]</div>
    Prius engines don't experience the same kind of stress as normal engines started at low rpm. The Prius electric motor spins up the engine to 1000 rpm before injecting fuel, so the engine can't hardly even tell anything happened.

10. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 27 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]531317[/snapback]</div>

15 mins of highway miles burns off water and other but not all contaminants in the oil so if you drive on the highway you may clean up your oil a bit. In Europe they recommend changing the oil at almost 9000 miles yet here in the us its 5000. Its the lawyers. I would at least stretch out to 6000 miles or even more.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's funny because oil changes are so cheap there.
    Sorry I forgot the spinning up to 880rpm before ignition thing.
    I'll change my oil every 10,000km anyway.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not just miles, it's miles and months. There's probably more water in Prius oil on average precisely because it's running less of the time and thus not as hot. And the oil is sitting there oxidizing away whether its running or not.

Rumor has it that European oil change intervals are longer than in the US because European oil quality is better than that of US oil.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 28 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]531727[/snapback]</div>
    Funny, I was thinking that because of the thermos feature for the ICE coolant, the engine would have less water, since the temperature is warm longer. It would seem the only way to know for sure would be to do an oil analysis without running the ICE before taking the sample.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [​IMG]

it's the topic that won't die!

15. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 28 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]531793[/snapback]</div>
    The thread is still young (at least in comparison to the BT Tech Plate thread....)

16. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems to me that 5000 is just about right, its not like they are the oil lube place that is saying every 3000 miles. I also have always looked at it this way, Oil lube and oil companies want you to change more frequently then necessary because they want you to buy more oil, and I feel car companies want you to change the oil less because they want you to buy more cars / parts / maintenance. My previous car an Eagle Talon (chrysler engine) recemmended 7500 miles for oil changes and there was no way I waited that long and always changed at about 4500 miles with regular dino oil. It didn't start using oil until about 160,000 miles (my cylinder 2 had to have had some worn cylinder rings based on characteristics I saw when I changed the spark plugs.