1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change in Prius the same way as any other conventional car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sammyj0r, Sep 29, 2010.

1. sammyj0r

sammyj0r New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, I'm due for my first 5k oil change. Just wondering if I bring my gen 3 prius to a non Toyota dealer, will they figure out how to do a oil change to a prius? I'm just wondering if there's a special method for oil changes or they can figure it out easily and change the oil like any other car? What should I warn them about the Prius so they won't damage it? I hate the toyota dealer near me because they are shady people (Brooklyn Nostrand Toyota Plaza). I trust my local mechanic and I know that I have to use OW-20.

Thanks!

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask em if they have the replacement parts (filter elements) needed to change the filter on the 3rd gen?

1 person likes this.
  3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I always recommend OEM filters. I have yet to change the oil on my Prius (I will next time) but I can't imagine there's anything tricky to it and in any case I'd be surprised if the process is not in the manual.

I'd bring your mechanic the filter to use (grab a few from Toyota). Also find out which oil the thing takes; if it is for example 0w-20 synthetic, I'd also bring that to your mechanic so that he doesn't throw in whatever he has kicking around.

1 person likes this.
  4. sarasebastian

sarasebastian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have done it twice myself and it was very easy (I am not a mechanic). I am sure your local shop will be able to do it. Your mechanic will need a 64mm oil filter wrench, which he/she probably already has.

I also recommend the OEM oil filter.

Here is a set of very helpful illustrated step by step instructions: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../67747-oil-change-2010-prius-do-yourself.html

Finally, you will need to reset the oil maintenance indicator - instructions are here and it is also very easy: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...tting-oil-maintenance-required-indicator.html

2 people like this.
  5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You could take the care to any express oil locations. 99% of them carry 0w20 and the filter cartridge used on the Prius is also used on many other cars. Most places stock it.

The filter is not a hi-tech device. It’s made of paper and wire. You can use the OEM or any third party filter.

1 person likes this.