1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change light won't turn off despite resetting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RosieJ, Oct 22, 2015.

1. RosieJ

RosieJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I am brand new, so please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before...I searched but couldn't find it.
    I had the oil changed in my 2009 Prius but the "change oil" light stayed lit. Rather than taking it back in to the Jiffy Lube, I found instructions on this site for resetting the light (hold down odometer button while pressing on button twice, etc.) and the display did what it was supposed to--the numbers were replaced with dashes and it seemed like the system reset. But the oil light remained on. I tried it several times to no avail.
    Is this just a weird malfunction that would cost a zillion dollars to fix at the dealership? Should I just accept the light will be on forever? Or can I fix it?
    Thanks very much!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does it say 'maintenance required'?

3. RosieJ

RosieJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply! No, it doesn't. The only light is the oil can icon.

4. Silver Pine Mica

Silver Pine Mica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the oil level by dipstick

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks like there's no oil in the engine. Gotta love jiffy no lube

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or a bad connection to a sending unit/defective sending unit. Either way there is a malfunction or lack of oil. Op should definitely check the level of oil with the dipstick.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i never knew there was a light like that. definitely not the 'oil change' light. it cannot be reset like the 'maintenance required' message. don't drive her until you've checked the level. if it's okay, look for trouble codes.

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  8. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this message in the MFD or on the dash near the speedometer? There is a maintenance menu in the MFD that has a bunch of maintenance items that can be tracked by time and/or mileage. One of them is engine oil. You need to go into the INFO menu on the MFD and change the oil settings to reflect the time or mileage for your next oil change. You can leave the intervals blank if you are changing your oil every 5000 miles or six months, since the "maintenance required" light will come on at that interval regardless of the settings in the MFD.

If you are seeing a red oil can on the dashboard (not in the MFD) that is a low oil pressure warning and the car should not be driven until the cause of the light is corrected.

Either way, check your oil using the dipstick before you drive the car again, regardless of who changed it.

9. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Everyone else has already covered it, but the oil can light is not the same thing as the light that tells you when your oil needs to be changed. The oil change reminder says "Maintenance Required." The oil can light means you have an oil pressure problem (low oil, bad oil pump, bad sensor, etc.). Best course of action would be to figure out what the problem is *before driving it any further,* then depending on what the problem is, bring it back to Jiffy Lube to have them correct the problem.

My first guess is the same as everyone else's. Low oil level. Check your level via the dipstick and report back.

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point about the maint. menu, i never used it, so don't know. maybe if it's set for an oil change reminder, that's where you go to reset it.

11. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Semi-related question. Does anyone know if I can reset the maintenance "timer" even if the light isn't on? I bought a 2007 recently that had its oil changed at 142k. I'm going to do the 145k maintenance on schedule, and I'd like to reset it at that time so the next time the maintenance light will go on would be at 150k.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    once you reset the reminder, it's good for 5000 miles. You can reset it at anytime to reset the 5000 mile timer.

prius_nerd likes this.