1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change Los Angeles - West Side

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevarino, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Stevarino

Stevarino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Anyone have a good referral for a mechanic on the West Side of Los Angeles? 'Need the first oil change and am leery of the ineptness of dealer mechanics. Sub question: Why must the oil be changed every 5,000 miles? Dealer revenue stream or bone fide need? Many thanks.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you wish to maintain the 5 year / 60K mile powertrain warranty coverage of the engine, then you'll need to prove that you've had engine oil and oil filter changes according to the maintenance schedule, in the event of an engine failure.

If you don't care about maintaining the powertrain warranty coverage of the engine then you can replace the engine oil when you feel like it. Some owners have high confidence in the synthetic oil they are using and have adopted extended change intervals of 10K miles or more.

3. fwbrc51

fwbrc51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if some owners are using synthetics for 10k, what filters are they using?

4. almypal26

almypal26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Patrick,

I have a 2010 Gen III. Attempted to change oil at 15k on my own. Used a 65mm oil wrench to change the cartridge filter, but was not able remove the cap housing the filter (engine was warm). Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have a 2010 so I don't have personal experience with this. However, what is the problem:

- the wrench fits, but you don't have sufficient leverage to turn the cap, or
    - the wrench is slipping, or
    - ??

If the first, then you'll need a wrench with a longer handle. I have a couple of pieces of metal pipe that I use for that purpose as well as a cheater bar.

If the second, you'll need a better wrench.

If the above doesn't help, please say more about what your problem is. Also, sometimes people try to do this job without first elevating the car and using jackstands to hold it up. If you can clearly see what you are doing and can get yourself under the filter, maybe that will improve your ability to exert force on the wrench. Good luck.