1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change questions: time vs. mileage, mix synthetic and regular?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dvancleve, Dec 26, 2006.

1. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Howdy folks.

Well we are just over 3K miles on the Prius and I was thinking of changing the oil soon. I did some reading and since the interval is supposed to be 6 months or 5K miles I am now planning on 6 months which will be in late January (I think). I will be changing it myself. A quick glance under the car makes it look like it will be easy.

For warranty purposes, I am planning on getting a Toyota filter and drain plug washer so I have a receipt and saving the receipt for the oil as well. Should some oil related issue arise, would it matter if I typically changed the oil at 5K miles rather than every 6 months? For us the time will always come sooner than the miles so I would be inclined to do it based on miles if that is okay with Toyota.

I am a lifelong synthetic oil user, but from what I have read here the Prius is easy on oil and changing out full synthetic at 5K miles for warranty purposes is removing perfectly fine oil and wasting money. That said, even if I do it twice a year based on time that is only $40 or so. What about mixing regular and synthetic at about 50/50? It would be better than regular oil and cheaper than changing synthetic so frequently.

Thanks and happy New Year,
    Doug

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug Van Cleve @ Dec 26 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]367010[/snapback]</div>
    The service schedule calls for an oil and filter change every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

3. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug Van Cleve @ Dec 27 2006, 01:04 AM) [snapback]367010[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think I would be the one mixing regular and synthetic oil. They sell premixed semi-synthetic oil. In my opinion it is for people who can't decide. I think either stick with regular oil and save the money, or switch to fully synthetic oil and get the complete benefits it can provide. I have heard that synthetic oil won't drain back as quickly, so hopefully it will remain on the cylinder walls longer than regular oil. Jayman can correct me if I'm wrong about that benefit.

I changed the oil at 980 miles in my 2006 Prius, because it had been six months. The oil analysis said that it had high levels of silicon (104 when the average is 14) and wear byproducts (which I guess is copper which showed 34 when the average is 1), so I was happy that I changed it then. According to them it was as if the oil had 6700 miles on it if you just looked at the contaminant levels. The At that time I also switched to Mobil1 (synthetic) 5W-30 oil. I too am staying with the Toyota filters, just to avoid any potential conflict should a warranty issue arise.

4. Shelbyn

Shelbyn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Dec 27 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]367460[/snapback]</div>
    Where do you get an oil analysis done?
    I just posted a question about using Duralube.

5. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Awhile back tochatihu recommended Blackstone Labs. It costs $20 for the basic analysis and $30 if you want the TBN. On my first oil change with the 2006 Prius I went with the $30 analysis. There has been some previous talk about a Priuschat group purchase for these analyses, since everyone could save a bit of money. I haven't heard anything lately about this though.

Their address is 416 East Pettit Avenue Fort Wayne IN 46806 and the phone number is 260.744.2380.
    Their website is http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ and you can order the free test kit there.

6. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShelbyN @ Dec 27 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]367501[/snapback]</div>
    Most auto parts stores have oil testing kits available. You fill out some paperwork, fill one container with old oil, one with the same oil new, and send it in to the address on the paperwork. I got one at a NAPA parts store.

Harry

7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know all vehicle manufactures use mileage and time, whichever happens first. But think about this....time doesn't seem to matter while the vehicle sits on the dealership lot. It only seems to matter after you purchase it.

This tells me time isn't that big of a factor and the only reason I change my oil based on mileage. But if the vehicle isn't driven much, then I will change it once a year.

8. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks and that makes complete sense. I guess my question is that if some oil related issue arose and I had been faithfully changing the oil every 5K miles and had documentation, would that be enough or would there be a problem if more than 6 months passed between oil changes? I know that syntetic changed every 5K miles is doing a better job protecting the engine and keeping things clean than conventional changed every 6 months, but the whole reason to change so frequently is to support the warranty...

Happy New Year,
    Doug

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Dec 29 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]368358[/snapback]</div>