1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil Change Requirement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gabbar2202, May 8, 2014.

1. Gabbar2202

Gabbar2202 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone,
    I have Prius II 2010 model which i bought with 20K miles on it. Oil change was done then by the dealer. After how many miles do i go for oil change in case of Prius?
    Any suggestion?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's suggested at Toyota to be at 10,000 miles between oil changes. Some have argued that being too long, many members here do it between 5000 - 10000 miles.

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome!

It's great that you are taking charge in your car's maintenance. You can read your owner's manual and maintenance manual that came with your car to find out this kind of stuff at your convenience.

I found your owner's manual online, but not the oil change interval info. Ours is a 2009, and recommends 5k mile intervals with 5w-30. Your car specs 0w-20 oil, and I would suspect 10k mile intervals. Quality brand-name synthetic oil is in your best interest (but I haven't seen an non-synthetic 0w-20 oil yet), and change your filter each oil change. A lot of folks argue over whether to change at 5k or 10k miles. I change at 5k miles. A case can be made for either way, or even at 7.5k miles, but ultimately it's up to you and your needs.

A lot of people are happy with Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum (or Pennzoil Pure Plus) oils. There are some other 0w-20s, but you would need to see what's available on the local leve. If you leave it up to the dealership or repair shop you would be using whatever they have in the barrel.

But the absolute most important thing that you do is check your oil regularly! Know how much oil your car uses and ensure problems don't sneak up on you.

Again, welcome aboard PC.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the Gen III the manufacturer has two different levels of service that determines when to change the oil. Gen III is 2010 and above through 2014 Prius.

If you are driving strictly on the highway without being in dusty areas you can go 10,000 miles between oil change. You must run 0-20W Synthetic Oil. Also be aware that every 5,000 miles the tires should be rotated.

Now, this is the variable on the oil change (two levels of service). If your Prius is driven around town, does short trips say 10 miles or less, very little highway driving plus being in dirty and dusty areas then you can go 5,000 miles between the oil changes. Again, you must run 0-20W Synthetic Oil. FWIW, most drivers will fall into this second category.

I would suggest for the best protection to change the oil every 5,000 miles regardless of the conditions that you subject your Prius to. It is your car, so the final decision is yours.

Congrats on your purchase of a high quality Toyota product. Since you are asking about oil changes that tells me you care about your vehicle. If you don't have the owners manual, you can download one from the Toyota Owner's website.

Best of luck to you and welcome to Prius Chat!

Ron (dorunron)

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to Prius Chat. 5,000 miles for oil changes. Take care of your car and it will take care of you.

dorunron likes this.