1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oil change stragedy for low mile short trip hybrid.

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by xraydoug, May 18, 2014.

1. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 13 prius c, and im doing my first oil change today. the car is 8 months old and has 5k miles. The service schedule is 10k/12 months for oil change. I am thinking that due to the very short trips I drive and then let the car cool off before doing the same thing again, may cause the car to build up fuel by products in the oil. because the oil usually doesen't get hot. my morning trip to work is 2.6 miles and many of my trips are similar. So I am thinking the oil may become corosive to the engine because the car wont heat up the oil long enough to purge the fuel by products out.

Should I change my oil more often like every 6 months? My oil is just starting to get some color, is this how I should evaluate, or are there test strips that would show if it is time to change oil. I am sure this topic has been talked about but did a search and didn't find it.

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is a provision in the owners manual for "special operating conditions." It calls for 5000 miles/6 months OCI. One of the definitions for "special operating conditions" is repeated trips of less than 5 miles below 32 deg. I don't know what temperatures you're driving at but 2.6 miles is close enough in my book. I agree that you should do 5k miles/6 months OCI.

3. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I live in western Oregon and our weather is mild. the temp in winter sometimes gets below 32 but only for a month and I garage my car, and the afternoon temp is almost always above freezing. With my very short trips I will use the 6 month schedule. do you think it worthwile to use royal purple oil? would that prevent my oil from becoming corosive?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's us: the oil comes out spring and fall, 6 months governs. Only putting on about 12000 km's yearly. Takes me about an hour, cost's just under $40 for Toyo oil, filter and replacement washer for the drain bolt.

6 months or 8000 km's (roughly equiv to 5000 miles) is the normal interval spec'd for ours in Canada.

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not an oil expert or mechanic but I'm going to say that you'll be fine on Toyota 0w20 every 5000 miles/6 months. If the ICE shuts off at a red light or when you pull into the driveway, you know the engine has warmed up sufficiently to clear up anything harmful to the engine. If not, you can idle in place until the ICE shuts off on its own before you power off.

6. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a perfect commute for a plug in vehicle.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How long 'till the C plug-in comes along? (y)

NR427 likes this.
  8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the fixation with royal purple?
    If you decided on 6 months/5000 miles, any cheap 5W20 should do (maybe except for the warranty thing). I would not waste quality oils for such short OCI.

NR427 likes this.
  9. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the youtube videos showing the royal purple and a bearing friction failure test. makes royal purple look far superior to mobile 1 or amsoil. I can get 5 quarts for $37.98 at walmart mobil 1 $25.17. I want to real good care of this car.

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are a young person, aren't you? When I was at your age, I also wasted my money on overpriced magic fluids like Slick 50. They all had their timken tests showing smaller bearing scars. It took me some time to realize the scam.

11. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It depends on what you call young. I am 47, but still act like a child in some ways;) , I went and got it changed used the standard castrol edge synthetic 0-20 used the regular filter not the expensive one. with cupon $58, they check all the fluids and top off the washer fluid, and a free paper too!

12. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, 2 months after I got the prius c, I saw plug in 2012 leese returns for I think 22,999. not sure if it would still qualify for the tax credit but if it did that would have been a better deal I think. I got out the door for 19,800 and 0% for 5 years not a bad deal, but I will always remember the time I could of gotten a plug in for about the same $:rolleyes:

13. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Everyone goes through the stage of wanting to do the absolute best for the beloved car, whatever car that may happen to be. The best tires, the best oil, the best gas, the best wiper fluid, whatever. It's understandable. I've had a gaggle of new cars, and the newness of it has worn off some. I still take good care of them, but I don't stress out about it any more.

Royal Purple is the oil of the OCD. There are zero reasons to use R.P. in an understressed, rpm-limited, 96hp hybrid city car. You would be substituting money for knowledge, and knowledge would tell you you don't need R.P.

Any major brand, quality oil in a correct weight would serve for 5k miles in the C. Synthetic or conventional. 0w-20 or 5w-20 for N.A. You can't go wrong. My commute is 4.5 miles. I have other trips of longer but the majority go 4.5. I use the 5k mile interval and use M1 or Pennzoil Platinum. Even that may be overkill with synthetic, but that's my choice.

As for acids, there are anti-corrosive additives in oil. Various amounts and types for various oils. They get used up protecting the engine. They are not used up in 5k, or even 10k miles, in the absolutely vast majority of use. A person can send a sample in to get it analyzed. That would tell you if you are anywhere near using up all those additives.

Another reason to change oil at a lower interval would be to rid the engine of the dirt particles in the oil. The oil filter takes out the majority of the particles, but there are some smaller than can be filtered. Those, I think, would do good to be removed earlier than later.

A good place to learn about oils is to hang out at BITOG forums. Those guys know oil...well, most of them.